Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah... so... not that anyone is going overboard or anything but when Avery Hayes (???) is having four goal games we should all pump the brakes a little in regards to assessing these guys on any meaningful level until the games get a little more competitive haha
Tbf, Hayes is likely a pretty decent hockey player. Basically avoided the ECHL and had ok #s in the AHL as a UDFA

That’s not a comment on his NHL upside just saying it’s not crazy he had a good tourney

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I know it’s just a GIF but McGroarty’s skating doesn’t look too bad there. I guess the two Sabres he outskated could just be worse.
He gets around ok. it’s just ugly and his feet like shuffle/flail (idk the right term) a lot. Ton of wasted movement and awkwardness, especially in his first few steps and changing direction.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I know it’s just a GIF but McGroarty’s skating doesn’t look too bad there. I guess the two Sabres he outskated could just be worse.
I was thinking the same thing too. It's not a super efficient stride but he has enough speed to get to where he wants to go. I think in the first part of the gif, the guy that McGroarty races to the net is #94 Konsta Helenius, the Sabres first round pick this year.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I was thinking the same thing too. It's not a super efficient stride but he has enough speed to get to where he wants to go. I think in the first part of the gif, the guy that McGroarty races to the net is #94 Konsta Helenius, the Sabres first round pick this year.
just a little improvement would go a long way. better to work on it in the ahl than the big club. imo

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He’s weird, when he gets downhill at his top speed he’s almost fast?

His edges are ok when he pulls up or is behind the net protecting the puck. I’ve seen him pounce on pucks from a standstill.

But then he has these moments where his feet get stuck in the mud and he’s got absolutely nothing.. no balance, strength, or ability to move. I’d say those moments and lack of quickness/twitch/explosion are what hurt him more than speed or agility.

You’d always prefer guys to be better skaters but he doesn’t really play a game where he needs it. If anything it’ll hold him back from being a physical presence at the top level.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
He’s weird, when he gets downhill at his top speed he’s almost fast?

His edges are ok when he pulls up or is behind the net protecting the puck. I’ve seen him pounce on pucks from a standstill.

But then he has these moments where his feet get stuck in the mud and he’s got absolutely nothing.. no balance, strength, or ability to move. I’d say those moments and lack of quickness/twitch/explosion are what hurt him more than speed or agility.
Obligatory not a skating instructor - yeah the technique isn't great and he's got a bit of a forward lean but he has the strength to just power through those inefficient movements.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Koivunen with a sweet dish.

Dude is just a little bit of acceleration away from really being something.

Yeah his footspeed is really his only major issue, it just sucks that it's such a major problem that it may make him a bust.

Give him some extra footspeed and he's Jussi Jokinen 2.0.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s been said a million times to take these games with a grain of salt BUT I do think it is a plus that the “top” prospects looked like the top players. McGroarty, Pickering, Ponomarev, Broz, Koivunen were clearly the teams best players. Just nice to see IMO.

Other positives: Brunickes skating, UDFAs Hayes, Beck, and Calvert.

Not a ton of bad but thought Pieniniemi was quite poor despite a nice assist today. Harding was trash in the games he played. Koivunen struggled to separate quite a bit. Murashov looks pretty small. Last two points are nitpicky but things I’ll keep an eye on.

Does it mean anything? No. But I always enjoy these games and camp too tbh.

Reactions: akapidots

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think taking too much from these events is dangerous. That said, the players you want to look promising all did just that.

I think Hayes has earned an NHL contract. He won't win a spot in training camp, but putting him on contract means he's at least available for a recall if he continues this ascent.

McGroarty, Broz, Ponomarev, and Koivunen will join Poulin as the young guys to get the longest looks and most opportunities in camp. Poulin has to clear waivers, so he was always going to get a long look. Some with McGroarty and Ponomarev, who are waivers exempt but arguably the closest to the NHL.

I think Koivunen and Broz are definitely ticketed for the AHL to start, but this was a good step for them.

Also, I think Gauthier is going to end up back in Wheeling. Murashov looks better than him. I think the Pens will have Blomqvist and Murashov in WBS, with Larsson shuttling all over the place and Gauthier in Wheeling.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On the tourney, I don't think I have anything left to add that hasn't already been said. Ponomarev looks like a surefire bottom-6 player that can likely play now. I don't think he has anything more than "good 3rd liner" upside, but he's a really nice bottom-6 piece to have. This team absolutely needs more guys like him. I think I'd be starting with him in the bottom-6 over McGroarty, but that's not because I'm low on McGroarty's skill.

Speaking of McGroarty, he's definitely close if not entirely NHL ready. The only flaw I really notice with him is his awkward skating, but I don't even think it's necessarily "bad" skating. Like others have said, it's inefficient. He needs to spend a summer with a skating coach to just fix his technique, I think he'd be substantially more explosive with a better skating style. It's not a talent/ability issue with him. That being said, I do wonder if he's better off going the Guentzel route this year, in playing him in big minutes in the AHL and promoting him directly to the top-6 when he's ready. You're always worried about how mediocre skaters will fit with Crosby, but I think McGroarty and Crosby will be terrific together.

Broz is miles ahead of where I would have expected him to be right now, the fact that he just turned pro is extremely impressive. He looks like he can either be a good 2-way 3C or a good complementary middle-6 winger, depending on how you want to develop him. I would keep him at center because they don't really have much at center in their prospect pool, but his skillset is really intriguing as a winger as well. I think he gets in NHL games this year, although I'd guess against him being a full-time regular until next year or later.

Koivunen has all of the talents you want out of a middle-6 playmaking winger, he just has a bad first step. I think his top end speed is okay, but the acceleration is just really lacking with him. Like I just posted, he's Jussi Jokinen 2.0 if he can fix his skating. He's too smart of a player to not work in the NHL if he can fix his skating.

Pickering hasn't really impressed me a ton when I've seen him, but his size plus skating and puck moving makes me think he'll end up a solid NHLer. He's not flashy but I think he can be another Pettersson type of top-4 D as well, but with even more size. I don't think there is a huge upside there, but I think Pettersson also surpassed my expected upside as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all for Pickering to end up a solid #2/3 despite me thinking he's more like a #4 upside type of guy.

I think Brunicke is the highest upside defenseman they have, but he's also a super raw prospect at this point. I actually think there's a decent comparison to make of Brunicke in his draft year to Pickering in his draft year, although Pickering didn't quite take that big step forward that his upside suggested he could have done. Brunicke is a terrific athlete and it's really just a question of how he develops. He can be anything from a breakout top-50 prospect or a complete bust and it honestly wouldn't surprise me. Really intriguing guy to keep an eye on going forward.

All together, it's looking pretty good for their prospect pool. I think McGroarty is the only guy with like top line or legit top-6 upside, but I think all of Broz, Koivunen, Ponomarev and Pickering all reinforced that they all have good middle-6/2nd pair upside as well and Brunicke has big time boom potential. I wish we could have seen Howe as well but we'll have plenty of changes to see him in the next few years.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Too bad we traded Yager imo…I liked him

This is from Taylor re the prospect tournament after talking about McG:
4. The Penguins' best forward here, though, was Broz. He had a pair of goals in the opener in addition to his goal today. He factored in on half of the Penguins' goals in their 8-5 win, picking up three assists. New Wilkes-Barre/Scranton head coach Kirk MacDonald really liked what he saw from Broz here.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is Broz going back to school for another season or is he AHL bound?

AHL. He signed.

Of course Jets fans would be. They got a 1 for 1 trade when everyone thought the Jets were going to get lesser value in a package.

It just sucks that Yager can't play in the AHL. All you can do is hope his junior team trades him so he can have talent on his line this season.

I still don’t see Yager exploding into what he potentially could have been.

I like McGroarty’s game especially as a trade asset in 4-5 years.

Yager seems like the type that looks great every game but can’t finish. Perfect Pens player.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad