Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Some quick notes on what I saw at this game on some of the bigger name players based off of one game;

McGroarty's skating looks better than what I had seen so far, but still isn't pretty or necessarily efficient, although nice to see it trending in the right direction. Definitely works hard, goes to the dirty areas, is great at putting pucks to open areas for guys in transition, and finally saw him get a clean shot off that was an absolute missile that went off the bar. His in tight skills didn't look great today; Missed a few short area passes, fumbled a couple pucks trying to do a bit much, but its also the 1st "game" of the NHL pre-season. I wouldn't call him a "power forward" from everything I've watched, but definitely has a tendency to lean on guys more than not.

Tristan Broz' skating is still fluid and he got around well for someone that apparently put on 15lbs of muscle this off-season. Great hands, obviously can skill-chain well; Makes good high-skill moves with his feet constantly in motion. Him and Koivunen together were awesome to watch. Who ever kept complaining that we weren't ranking him high enough in our rankings had Broz go to bat for him in that game today. Obviously a few spurts where he wasn't very noticeable, but definitely a good first showing for him.

Net is going shoddy, will post the balance in a few...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Some quick notes on what I saw at this game on some of the bigger name players based off of one game;

McGroarty's skating looks better than what I had seen so far, but still isn't pretty or necessarily efficient, although nice to see it trending in the right direction. Definitely works hard, goes to the dirty areas, is great at putting pucks to open areas for guys in transition, and finally saw him get a clean shot off that was an absolute missile that went off the bar. His in tight skills didn't look great today; Missed a few short area passes, fumbled a couple pucks trying to do a bit much, but its also the 1st "game" of the NHL pre-season. I wouldn't call him a "power forward" from everything I've watched, but definitely has a tendency to lean on guys more than not.

Tristan Broz' skating is still fluid and he got around well for someone that apparently put on 15lbs of muscle this off-season. Great hands, obviously can skill-chain well; Makes good high-skill moves with his feet constantly in motion. Him and Koivunen together were awesome to watch. Who ever kept complaining that we weren't ranking him high enough in our rankings had Broz go to bat for him in that game today. Obviously a few spurts where he wasn't very noticeable, but definitely a good first showing for him.

Net is going shoddy, will post the balance in a few...

That was me…Broz I think will surprise people…he may be more ready for the NHL than McG and I thought people were selling him short in our prospect poll lol

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That was me…Broz I think will surprise people…he may be more ready for the NHL than McG and I thought people were selling him short in our prospect poll lol

Lol nah he is not. That is not a problem either. McG has played against higher competition in the international tournaments and is more physically mature.

Broz needs AHL time more. But I still think both start in the AHL anyways

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Broz was my biggest surprise! Thought both Ponomarev and koivonen looked good as well!
They did! Pono is most NHL ready, heck, he made the Canes last year prior to his injury.

Our prospect pool is decidedly better. We still have to draft and develop our cornerstone pieces in the next few drafts but we're accruing some nice pieces now no doubt.

Yes, they both need AHL time, but I do think Broz is close…
I'm not sure we wanna draw conclusions at this point, but you're likely correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad