Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Good 2nd period for the Pens

McGroarty, Koivunen, Broz, Ponomarev all standing out in a good way. Reports about McGroarty showing a willingness to go the dirty areas were accurate as that's how he scored his goal. Harder to evaluate the D for me.

Murashov hasn't been tested nearly as much as Gauthier was.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I mean that’s where goals are scored at the NHL level. His ability to get in those high danger areas you would hope translates to the NHL.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don't want to get overhyped with him, but this feels like "Guentzel if Guentzel was much bigger" with him. Very smart player with a quick release, great shot and some nice hands.
Me, a few, weeks ago

Post in thread 'Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!'
Salary Cap: - Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

kind of a comp for McGroarty (IMO and in play style only. NOT saying he will reach same level) is a more physical/dogged Guentzel

Like super efficient with touches and clinical around the paint. Gets himself into good areas to feed/shoot but not necessarily going to carry the puck, drive entries, exits.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean that’s where goals are scored at the NHL level. His ability to get in those high danger areas you would hope translates to the NHL.

That's why I made the Guentzel comparison, it's the same way that Guentzel is a lethal goal scorer. He has a great shot but he's not beating goalies by blowing the puck past them. He finds the soft spots in the offense zone and has a lightning quick release to cash in when he gets the chance.

McGroarty has that same kind of goal scoring style, he's just way bigger and way more suited for that physical brand than Guentzel was.

Reactions: eXile3

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Me, a few, weeks ago

Post in thread 'Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!'
Salary Cap: - Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

Yeah watching him now I think that comment is 100% spot on. He's the same kind of smart as Guentzel and he has very quick hands as well.

For a guy with that size and physicality, it's super impressive. I think he's 100% their next net front guy on the PP, and I think he'll do much better in the role than Guentzel.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
McGroarty and Ponomarev are the best players on the ice imo. Not jump off the screen dominant (no one has been) but I’d have them as the best.

Koivunen is very easy to like but you can see the flaws potentially being an issue in the league from an athletic/physical standpoint. Still he’s really good at settling loose pucks in the ozone and turning them into legit possessions. Smart player.

This is kinda what I’ve always said about Broz- He ALWAYS looks like a rock solid player whenever I’ve seen him at Denver (decent amount) but from a talent standpoint he’s kind of a jack of all trades. Like I don’t know what he’s gonna be able to really do at a high level in the NHL. He is an excellent hockey player though.

this is a much better group than we’ve had here in past - not saying that’s hard.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yeah watching him now I think that comment is 100% spot on. He's the same kind of smart as Guentzel and he has very quick hands as well.

For a guy with that size and physicality, it's super impressive. I think he's 100% their next net front guy on the PP, and I think he'll do much better in the role than Guentzel.
Hard to be worse than Guentzel was on the PP tbh

Still want him to get quicker. He’s not going to be able to use his frame and get to pucks and do a lot of little important things to keep and maintain possession if he doesn’t.

He also stops his feet wayyy tooo much. Big no no from me. Needs to keep his legs moving instead of stopping up, both with and without the puck. often he wins a puck on the boards, stops, and just gets rid of it instead of using his feet to relieve pressure.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is kinda what I’ve always said about Broz- He ALWAYS looks like a rock solid player whenever I’ve seen him at Denver (decent amount) but from a talent standpoint he’s kind of a jack of all trades. Like I don’t know what he’s gonna be able to really do at a high level in the NHL. He is an excellent hockey player though.

I feel like if Broz pans out, it will be as a very good 2-way 3C. I don't think he has the skills to have a much higher upside, but I think his skillset is well suited for that kind of 3C role.

Lazy Finnish comparison but he reminds be a bit of Granlund

I think Granlund is a much better skater than Koivunen seems to be.

I feel like Koivunen is an "all toolbox" type of player, in that he has a sky high hockey IQ but doesn't really have the physical traits to maximize that upside. It's similar to Simon but I think Koivunen is more skilled and bigger.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I feel like if Broz pans out, it will be as a very good 2-way 3C. I don't think he has the skills to have a much higher upside, but I think his skillset is well suited for that kind of 3C role.
I know he’s said he feels like he’s a more natural center, and I can see why, but imo his best chance at playing up a line up is as a complimentary wing. Kinda like Baerschti maybe the few years he was in the league?

I like the player but I kinda expect him to top out as a AAAA guy unless he’s able to get stronger and add more sandpaper. But that’s just my opinion, he’s still a legit NHL prospect who’s played to his draft slot to this point.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't like jumping to conclusions, but the Pens prospects are the greatest collection of players ever assembled.
1726249278185.png

1726249320815.jpeg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One thing I will say about the Penguins prospect pool is that it seems like they have a ton of smart, high IQ players. I think Brunicke really sticks out as the only guy who I'd be worried about from a hockey IQ perspective, and he's so young that it's not really a major concern right now. McGroarty, Pickering, Broz, Koivunen and Ponomarev all look like very smart players.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Groats looks like he has some interesting OZ vision/IQ. If that translates then his spotty puck skills and skating won't matter nearly so much.

Good/interesting stuff from this group today regardless of end result.

EDIT: Broz, again. Nice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad