Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Who were the 2 picks? Did they ever amount to anything?

Beau Bennett and Simon Despres - I'll let you figure the second half of the question out :)

Good work Jesse. I don’t love the Mustard/Guentzel comp. I think they are very opposite styles. Mustard is an athletic puck carrier with a decent frame and some IQ questions. Guentzel is smaller, cerebral off puck scorer and worse skater. I actually liked Mustard a lot less after digging into him, but big picture he’d still be a fine pick in 40s. My play style comp would be a lefty Kapanen (Toronto version)

I would be happy with any of those guys though. Or any of the guys Taylor listed.

This draft is weird. I don’t really think the guys in our range are much if any worse prospects than the guys that’ll go in the late teens/early 20s and on. Hard for me to have a huge preference for anyone at our spot.

(Hopefully we can add a 3rd round pick and draft the 21 year old KHL goalie though)

Once you get to pick like 6 or 7 this draft goes off the rails. I could see someone taking Luka Misa at 17 and me being totally unsurprised by that. Gonna be a chance someone like Marek Vanacker falls down to Pittsburgh at 44.

Reactions: MrBurghundy

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Beau Bennett and Simon Despres - I'll let you figure the second half of the question out :)
Haha, nice. Well Despres played for some time in the NHL, and I know he got a raw deal here, so that one is a success. I also think Bennett would have been a success if he wasn't made of glass.

So, all things considered, those were good calls.

Reactions: Sideline

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Once you get to pick like 6 or 7 this draft goes off the rails. I could see someone taking Luka Misa at 17 and me being totally unsurprised by that. Gonna be a chance someone like Marek Vanacker falls down to Pittsburgh at 44.

Buffalo GM pretty much said the same thing when asked about their pick trade with the Sharks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You know who the last player was who the Pens drafted who played even a single year for the Pens : Dom Simon lol..if that doesn’t sour you on draft weekend, nothing will lol

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
He seems like the consensus highest ranked player atm.
Om hoping for Hutson I think. Then mews, mustard Poirier, etc.
Just no defensive minded D or giants with skating/skill issues

Reactions: Jacob

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
11 picka before us. Too early for wish lists?
My personal list is
-Igor Chernyshov
-Andrew Basha
-Teddy Stiga
-Luke Misa
-Maxim Masse
-Leo Sahlin Wallenius
-Henry Mews
-Jesse Pulkkinen
-Cole Hutson
-John Mustard
-Tanner Howe
-Max Plante
-Alfons Freij

2 of these guys are guaranteed to be available at our picks and I’d be happy with any of them. I also think the goalie class this year is underrated but it’s the only position we don’t need.

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
11 picka before us. Too early for wish lists?
not for me. I've seen some mocks with good players dropping. (well home run swing players) Ritchie for one. a few Russians seem to be falling. basha. i wouldn't mind moving up to get one if the price is right.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad