Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Tampa has Hedman and Stamkos?

It is really difficult to win without top end talent. Since the lockout the Bruins, Wings, and Blues are the only teams I can see that won cups without a top 5 pick playing a key role.

Compare that to Pens 3x, Hawks 3x, Lighting 2x, Kings 2x, Caps, Avalanche, Ducks, Hurricanes, and Knights.
If we're gonna split hairs, Pietrangelo for the Blues was a 4th overall.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
caser's list

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
My hope is Dubas changes the dynamic here and adds more physicality to the mix, RD and RW are my wish lists picks. Please no more smaller LW who lack the kind of size and strength to play a more balanced game.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Any word on the Penguins re-signing Corey Andonovski? Played a career-high 63 games with the S-WB Penguins (led the team with 99 PMs) but did not appear in any NHL games in his first two seasons of pro hockey.

Followed him in college at Princeton and wondering if he can carve out a career similar to Eric Robinson's.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Any word on the Penguins re-signing Corey Andonovski? Played a career-high 63 games with the S-WB Penguins (led the team with 99 PMs) but did not appear in any NHL games in his first two seasons of pro hockey.

Followed him in college at Princeton and wondering if he can carve out a career similar to Eric Robinson's.
If they would bring him back it would be on a WBS AHL deal. He was a Hextall college free agent signing so I doubt Dubas re-signs him.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
True. I haven't heard anything Andonovski has done during his time with the baby pens.
He nudged out Jagger Joshua for the team lead in PIM - 99-93. FWIW. Others actually watch these guys play often; I just stat watch so, I have no idea if he has any future as a prospect. Kinda doubt it though.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Looking at the stories Haase has going about the prospects who might be there when we pick, i like alsmot all of them except EJ Emerey, Who she says might be here favourite. But he has waaay to low offensive output,

i mean its 0 goals and 22 assist in 88 games with the US program.
I mean, he might be a good stay at home D, but is that really what you draft for in the 2nd round?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Looking at the stories Haase has going about the prospects who might be there when we pick, i like alsmot all of them except EJ Emerey, Who she says might be here favourite. But he has waaay to low offensive output,

I mean, he might be a good stay at home D, but is that really what you draft for in the 2nd round?

I mean he's listed as a borderline 1rst rounder. Dumo was a 2nd round pick and getting another Dumoulin in the 2nd round is would be really good.

Only 25% of second round picks actually make the NHL anyways.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Dumo was also pretty productive offensively in college and probably had an underrated puck moving ability here since everyone focused on his D.

I know very little about Emery because he’s so vanilla that I have no interest in watching him play. I’m not really sure the old prototypical shutdown offensive black hole d-man really exists anymore. You have to be able to move the puck in today’s NHL. Just feels like a low upside mid/bottom pairing guy that I would have no interest in drafting but I could be wrong. Maybe he’s the next Rod Langway. I doubt it. Doesn’t really feel like a Dubas pick anyways. Sully, though….

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
Does having two second round picks up our chances to 50%? 😂 hopefully…

Also, it doesn’t mean much, but Emery’s results at the NHL combine were impressive. If for nothing else, he’s extremely athletic, and looks to grow into a pretty physical player, which are things I wouldn’t be against.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

as long as he can make that first pass, you need players like that to play with your offensive guys just as much. :nod: and they tend to fall a little more than the offensive guys.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dumo was also pretty productive offensively in college and probably had an underrated puck moving ability here since everyone focused on his D.

I know very little about Emery because he’s so vanilla that I have no interest in watching him play. I’m not really sure the old prototypical shutdown offensive black hole d-man really exists anymore. You have to be able to move the puck in today’s NHL. Just feels like a low upside mid/bottom pairing guy that I would have no interest in drafting but I could be wrong. Maybe he’s the next Rod Langway. I doubt it. Doesn’t really feel like a Dubas pick anyways. Sully, though….
What is tough is that, we see such a different game between the regular season and the playoffs.

In the regular season, over 82 games, I would say that you absolutely need the majority of your back-end guys to be able to move the puck. Contributions from the backend can vary but I think if you have a pairing like Dumo-Letang, that's the perfect balance. Just like Orpik-Gonchar was. Just like Pettersson-Karlsson is now.

But come playoff time, you see guys like Zadorov, Tanev, etc become prominent role-playing dmen. They eat up the minutes, they provide defensive zone shutdown play, and they are physical.

If it's a two-team, one-line league and you have Matheson-Marino on one team and Zadorov-Tanev on the other, I would be comfortable saying that the MM team would win the regular season handily, but the ZT team would take it in the playoffs (all other things being equal and consistent with trends we currently see). Finding a good mix is tough. Those players that have both skill sets are tough to find and highly coveted.

My thoughts on the upcoming draft are: pick the best center and wing you can get the 2nds. Then whatever. Focus up front. When we resign Petts, we have Petts-EK, Graves-Letang locked up for quite a while. Get the forwards, sign the dmen. Seems like there's always a serviceable 2nd and 3rd pairing dman available in FA.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would not say no to any right-shooting defenseman projected to go late first, early second. Whether that is Emery, Elich, the kid born in South Africa whose name escapes me right now, etc. etc.

It is an organizational positional weakness, and one that we need to address in the draft.

Don't forget about the other positions/attributes of need, obviously, like offensive centers, goal-scorers at any position, power forward project types, etc.

If either 44 or 46 becomes our right-handed Dumoulin or Lindgren, sign me up.

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I would not say no to any right-shooting defenseman projected to go late first, early second. Whether that is Emery, Elich, the kid born in South Africa whose name escapes me right now, etc. etc.

It is an organizational positional weakness, and one that we need to address in the draft.

Don't forget about the other positions/attributes of need, obviously, like offensive centers, goal-scorers at any position, power forward project types, etc.

If either 44 or 46 becomes our right-handed Dumoulin or Lindgren, sign me up.
Yeah if a guy's upside is to play 19-21 minutes a night, and is physical, that's pretty impactful even if they're not putting up a ton of points (or even a moderate amount like Dumo did).

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I mean, I have no problem taking these kind of guys in the later rounds (though I still don't really like it) if you don't have any better players on the board or as an undrafted free agent kind of signing, but unless Emery is a phenomenal hitter and skater or something, I wouldn't really waste the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad