Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
That’s an awesome trio of AHL signings.

Klassen is slightly under sized but plays hard both ends of the ice with pro-level responsibility in his own zone. Works hard and is a dog back checking and defending against breakouts or transition offense. Has a great shot that he could, and probably should use more. Not as good a playmaker as his assist total jump shows, but still well above average in the WHL.

Don’t know a ton about Beck aside from watching him in a few play off games this year. He was on the smaller side but noticeable. Led a top-5 OHL team in production by a considerable margin.

And anyone who has watched any MJ games in the last bit would know Calvert. Bit better size than the rest. Was the #2 C after Yager but in his role plays the position better than Yager does, at this time. Responsible, crafty, but not afraid to go to the hard areas, he should have a game that translates very well to pro. Whether he has good enough tools to get an NHL cup of coffee or more is still up in the air.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That’s an awesome trio of AHL signings.

Klassen is slightly under sized but plays hard both ends of the ice with pro-level responsibility in his own zone. Works hard and is a dog back checking and defending against breakouts or transition offense. Has a great shot that he could, and probably should use more. Not as good a playmaker as his assist total jump shows, but still well above average in the WHL.

Don’t know a ton about Beck aside from watching him in a few play off games this year. He was on the smaller side but noticeable. Led a top-5 OHL team in production by a considerable margin.

And anyone who has watched any MJ games in the last bit would know Calvert. Bit better size than the rest. Was the #2 C after Yager but in his role plays the position better than Yager does, at this time. Responsible, crafty, but not afraid to go to the hard areas, he should have a game that translates very well to pro. Whether he has good enough tools to become an NHL regular is still up in the air.
When are we signing Yager? Also why is your name Locomotiv15? Are you a train? And yes I know there's a team by that name but I DON'T like it!

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
When are we signing Yager? Also why is your name Locomotiv15? Are you a train? And yes I know there's a team by that name but I DON'T like it!
Haha I'm sure Yager will be signed summarily and it'll be a happy day for you and the boards.

I used to be something like PrinceofWales66 on here back in the 2000's and did not remember how to get back on it after a few years so picked this. Me and a couple buddies were friends with one of the guys on the Lokomotiv team that crashed from when he played junior on the Northern Ontario/Quebec border by Temiscaming. So we made that our mens league team after that season, so popped that in for a username when I needed a new one.

And if Im a train, its one of those slow moving ones down-town during rush hour that everyone hates. And you should like Lokomotiv; Our Lord, Savior, and 11th best ranked prospect Murashov is a product.:nod:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Haha I'm sure Yager will be signed summarily and it'll be a happy day for you and the boards.

I used to be something like PrinceofWales66 on here back in the 2000's and did not remember how to get back on it after a few years so picked this. Me and a couple buddies were friends with one of the guys on the Lokomotiv team that crashed from when he played junior on the Northern Ontario/Quebec border by Temiscaming. So we made that our mens league team after that season, so popped that in for a username when I needed a new one.

And if Im a train, its one of those slow moving ones down-town during rush hour that everyone hates. And you should like Lokomotiv; Our Lord, Savior, and 11th best ranked prospect Murashov is a product.:nod:
Not lord and Savior by any means, but I do like Murashov. And I'd put him higher than 11th. But he's a ways away. Just hope we hold onto his rights.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Why not? A lot of us suggested Poehling in the top six for spells.

DOC was getting similar too after Jake’s departure.

Who?? I mean I don't remember many.

Also yea DOC did and had 8pts in his last 12 games. But I also think DOC was/is a better prospect that Poehling.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Not lord and Savior by any means, but I do like Murashov. And I'd put him higher than 11th. But he's a ways away. Just hope we hold onto his rights.
I was just referencing that top-10 list that was causing discussion before. I am about as high as I can be on a 20-year old goalie prospect without being able to see him play with Russia being barred from WJC competition.

The guy is 75-30-13 split between the K/MHL with a 0.935 save % 1.82 GAA and 22 shutouts since his draft season. The tiny KHL only #'s of 4-1-2, as small of a sample as it is, is encouraging. Wish he had a touch more size, but I'd still have him in the 5-8 spot.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I was just referencing that top-10 list that was causing discussion before. I am about as high as I can be on a 20-year old goalie prospect without being able to see him play with Russia being barred from WJC competition.

The guy is 75-30-13 split between the K/MHL with a 0.935 save % 1.82 GAA and 22 shutouts since his draft season. The tiny KHL only #'s of 4-1-2, as small of a sample as it is, is encouraging. Wish he had a touch more size, but I'd still have him in the 5-8 spot.
I agree I'd put him between 6-8 myself. We can't sign him until after his current deal expires? Can't remember how that works.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
I agree I'd put him between 6-8 myself. We can't sign him until after his current deal expires? Can't remember how that works.
Yeah, no transfer agreement so we cant buy him over here. Depending on his contract, he can always try for a contract release. KHL contracts are confusing and can have different stipulations, some with opt-outs, etc... They also have the option of buying out their contracts with 16-18 month notice. Of course, for a guy who might not play and make that money back, it doesn't make sense for him.

I actually cant even find when or what his current KHL deal is.

EDIT: Just kidding. Signed a 3 year extension in '21 that ends this season.

Reactions: Ryder71

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think Murashov can be signed this off-season, and Ilyin after 2024-25 (whenever his team's season ends). I consider both top-10 Pens prospects.

I don't know why Hallander is on the top-10 list. I know it is NHL prospects not necessarily Pens prospects, but still. I never consider un-signed RFAs playing in Europe still as prospects until they actually decide to come back (even those like Hallander who are still rookie-eligible).

Reactions: Andy99

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Go read the GDTs from last year.

I don't see how this is true. Poehling was a 1st round pick. DOC was an undrafted college signing.

I worded that bad. I mean DOC was this past year and is now, in my opinion which means nothing lol. but yes Poehling was a better prospect to start.

I mean I can go back but I was never sold on Poehling and thought he was meh most of last season. Never saw anything more than bottom 6 upside. You can look up my comments. Again my opinion doesn’t matter much but I’m not looking up other people’s.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I liked Poehling for what he was and would have definitely preferred him at 1.9 compared to Eller at 2.5.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Im trying to scout the draft, but it's near impossible with us picking so late. No idea who will be available tbh. Way easier last draft cause we picked so much higher.

Guess easiest way is to wait until after 1st round and then see whats left and who we hope is still there at 44?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What was rumored was that Poehling had some lingering back issue and if that's true they were probably right to let him walk. The Flyers probably just popped him full of pills all year.

Reactions: Darren McCord

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Im trying to scout the draft, but it's near impossible with us picking so late. No idea who will be available tbh. Way easier last draft cause we picked so much higher.

Guess easiest way is to wait until after 1st round and then see whats left and who we hope is still there at 44?
i haven't done any homework at all this year, "but" i think i might be looking at....
1. Russians that fell
2. defensive defense men. they tend to not be as valued as offensive de-men but are just as needed. imo
3. or anyone else that fell
that should narrow it down to about 50 players. :laugh:
edit ; best player available. but the above is where you can expect someone to fall.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hopefully Dubas can move Smith for a second. what I do prefer is a RD, RW and more right side shooting picks. Pens are chock full of 5-10 180 pound left shooting guys,

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Hopefully Dubas can move Smith for a second. what I do prefer is a RD, RW and more right side shooting picks. Pens are chock full of 5-10 180 pound left shooting guys,
I doubt we are able to get a better value than what we paid for him in the 1st place (a 3rd )
To be honest, if we trade him in the off season it's just so he comes off the books to do something else with that 5 million, and we are definitely not getting anything close to what we paid. I'd say rigth now his value is probably a 5th and an AHL player at best.

If we don't need that 5 million this season and are able to make other moves, the smart thing IMO is to ride him out, top minutes and hope he finds his mojo back to move his ass at the TD. Then we can hope for a 2nd and maybe prospect

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We just need guys that can actually shoot. With Jake gone, the number of quality shooters we have is absolutely pedestrian. We need guys that actually have shooting skill. It's why I'm high on Yager. Kid likes to shoot. Perfect. Hone that skill. Nurture it. Feed it. Groom it. Develop it. Regardless of the team he is on, the first thing that should be coming out of every single coach's mouth is "keep shooting". Coaches that advocate, "Well, sonny boy, you need to learn to PK and become a good two-way player," should be strung up.

I'd be looking at that as the #1 skill set for any prospects we take in the 2nd round this year.

Reactions: Andy99

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We just need guys that can actually shoot. With Jake gone, the number of quality shooters we have is absolutely pedestrian. We need guys that actually have shooting skill. It's why I'm high on Yager. Kid likes to shoot. Perfect. Hone that skill. Nurture it. Feed it. Groom it. Develop it. Regardless of the team he is on, the first thing that should be coming out of every single coach's mouth is "keep shooting". Coaches that advocate, "Well, sonny boy, you need to learn to PK and become a good two-way player," should be strung up.

I'd be looking at that as the #1 skill set for any prospects we take in the 2nd round this year.
Hopefully a few players drop as there was quite a few solid players that did well at the U18 and are listed anywhere from 30 to 50, I'm hoping we move up maybe for a guy like Ryder Ritchie, or even Cole Hutson / Teddy Stiga. Those 3 did very well

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Impossible, he had a weak memorial cup game. Bust.
He's need a 5th and likely a 6th year in the WHL. After that, another solid three 3 years in the AHL. Maybe. I figure that gives people another 5 years to piss and moan about the kid instead of being hopeful.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hopefully a few players drop as there was quite a few solid players that did well at the U18 and are listed anywhere from 30 to 50, I'm hoping we move up maybe for a guy like Ryder Ritchie, or even Cole Hutson / Teddy Stiga. Those 3 did very well
I copied this from a couple pages ago, but for our 2 2nds, I have a couple guys in mind:

Terik Parascak - his stock went up to finish the year. I don't think he'll be there at 44ov but if he is, instant choice.
Egor Surin - this is a guy is the MHL who might fall for a number of reasons but a great example of a guy who has the speed, skating, and shot. It's all of the other crap that scouts get worried about that might make him drop. Think Sprong maybe.
Maxim Masse - Like Parascak, I don't think he'll be there at 44 but this kid drives offense.
Lucas Pettersson - Modo Center, all around good skillset. I think this is a great "safe" choice to restock center prospect pool. +
Justin Poirier - another monster scoring machine from the QMJHL but he may fall because of size at 5'8 but again, that could be good for those wanting that boom or bust.

The "good" news (or however you want to look at it) is that after 20 or so all the way to 50-60, there's not much that differentiates any one player. As one scout said, in that range, "it's all the same player." So luck will certainly play a role.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad