Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I look at last night's game from a positive perspective. To me, it is encouraging that Yager played not the greatest game but still put up numbers. He is clearly one of the pistons of his team. They rely heavily on him, which is a great thing for his development.

Yeah, people are going to say it is only junior hockey but it is elite junior hockey. It is playoff-style hockey and a high-pressure situation. He has a few more games to elevate his play, that is encouraging.

I still love this prospect. His style is definitely going to translate well. I don't even think Mike Sullivan can ruin him. I think that highly of him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Yager is a nice young prospect who is an all-around center who does the mental things well. As he matures and adds size and natural strength with S&C program, he will be a very good player for the Pens in the top 6. Pens need some puck luck here with someone to really come on in Ponomarev, Poulin, Broz, and Plante.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Yesterday wasn’t a great game for him and a microcosm of some of the not-so desirable parts of his game, with some good mixed in.

He was sub par in the face off dot, most of his wins coming from wing support, but getting beat cleanly a lot. To be fair though, since he’s been relied on more heavily to take draws against top opposition, he’s been struggling. Someone here at some point said he wins more draws then not, he did his draft - 1 year, but not since.

His positioning is usually pretty solid, but against teams that offensively rotate low high and throw in diagonal and short lateral passes, like most that aren’t elite, he gets caught chasing and out of position. He was caught a good amount last night against a skilled and somewhat unconventional offensive Saginaw team.

Against teams with good structure and D, he can tend to keep to the outside and not take the puck to the “hard areas”, instead trying to hammer pucks through the slot or on net for not so great angle shots and sometimes coughing up pressure.

The good is that I’ve watched about 15 Moose Jaw games bored at work this year and this is probably one of the two worst games I’ve seen him play, but also that his team had played. I don’t know if Saginaw surprised them as just a host team, but the Spirit could have easily won the OHL and are every bit as good as London on most nights, and maybe MJ didn’t quite realize that enough.

His ability to find the net was on display. His finishing was actually pretty good. There have been nights this season where his finishing left some to be desired. He is great at loading a shot with time, off either foot, from any angle or position, but is only above average at quick releasing with little time and a lot of pressure, this will improve with strength and experience.

He has good vision and when he has a lane to make a great pass/play, far more often than not he makes it.

Didn’t get to see it much last night, but he is 1a/B on any night as the go to guy on the powerplay that was the #1 unit in the W, and apparently 2nd in the CHL, and with good reason. He couldn’t pick apart Saginaw like he usually does to teams with playmaking and creating chances off his high wall, but only had a few opportunities and they were against a top PK unit in major junior.

At the end of the day, 2+1 against probably the 2nd best team in all of junior on an “off” night after not playing for 8 days is pretty good in my books. Looked better than almost all his OA teammates (although that is admittedly by far the worst I’ve ever seen Firkus play, and not just because Saginaw was on him)

Don’t let this game shape all of your opinion on him, hopefully the jitters are gone and MJ makes a run so we can watch another 3 or 4 Yager games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t understand how he could have played so terribly according to some on here, and yet “Despite the loss, Yager was named the top performer of Friday's opening day of the tournament,” according to Taylor lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Should’ve trusted me, old man.

I’ll never let you down.
You've never let me down? Are you sure?:huh:

Yesterday wasn’t a great game for him and a microcosm of some of the not-so desirable parts of his game, with some good mixed in.

He was sub par in the face off dot, most of his wins coming from wing support, but getting beat cleanly a lot. To be fair though, since he’s been relied on more heavily to take draws against top opposition, he’s been struggling. Someone here at some point said he wins more draws then not, he did his draft - 1 year, but not since.

His positioning is usually pretty solid, but against teams that offensively rotate low high and throw in diagonal and short lateral passes, like most that aren’t elite, he gets caught chasing and out of position. He was caught a good amount last night against a skilled and somewhat unconventional offensive Saginaw team.

Against teams with good structure and D, he can tend to keep to the outside and not take the puck to the “hard areas”, instead trying to hammer pucks through the slot or on net for not so great angle shots and sometimes coughing up pressure.

The good is that I’ve watched about 15 Moose Jaw games bored at work this year and this is probably one of the two worst games I’ve seen him play, but also that his team had played. I don’t know if Saginaw surprised them as just a host team, but the Spirit could have easily won the OHL and are every bit as good as London on most nights, and maybe MJ didn’t quite realize that enough.

At the end of the day, 2+1 against probably the 2nd best team in all of junior on an “off” night after not playing for 8 days is pretty good in my books. Looked better than almost all his OA teammates (although that is admittedly by far the worst I’ve ever seen Firkus play, and not just because Saginaw was on him)

Don’t let this game shape all of your opinion on him, hopefully the jitters are gone and MJ makes a run so we can watch another 3 or 4 Yager games.
Pretty much encapsulates my perspective. Glad someone else sees these flaws in his game despite putting up three points. Positioning and face offs weren't good.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t understand how he could have played so terribly according to some on here, and yet “Despite the loss, Yager was named the top performer of Friday's opening day of the tournament,” according to Taylor lol
Did you watch the game?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wish the Pens had a guy who could score 2 despite looming meh every now and then.
When he played in the WJC I thought he played with more speed and vigor, was better in all three zones in his positioning and was noticeable on more shifts despite only averaging a PPG.

I think it’s probably not worth over analyzing any single game (positively or negatively) and especially not in a best-of-the-best tournament.
PPL tout Firkus? Holy cherry picking bat man he flew the zone to stretch the D and while that tactic might be effective in Juniors it won't translate to the NHL. lol

Feel safe in saying Firkus will not be this world beater in the NHL.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yager and Koivunen won't be ready before 25-26, be patient, still gotta sign Yager.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Did you watch the game?
No but I assume actually qualified people (not you) watched and gave him first star of the game over everyone else on either team…even if everyone else sucked worse, that’s still an achievement lol

Edit: this kid isn’t going to grow anymore in juniors. He should make the club this season and if he’s not good enough, can they send him to Wilkes after his Jan 4 birthday ? I’m not sure of the rules

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No but I assume actually qualified people (not you) watched and gave him first star of the game over everyone else on either team…even if everyone else sucked worse, that’s still an achievement lol

Edit: this kid isn’t going to grow anymore in juniors. He should make the club this season and if he’s not good enough, can they send him to Wilkes after his Jan 4 birthday ? I’m not sure of the rules
No. The only loophole we can try would be considering this past season his 4th junior season. He got an exception to play in the WHL because lower leagues were shut down due to COVID. But it was only like a 28 game season with no playoffs.

If you play 4 full CHL seasons you are AHL eligible.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Oh I'm not ''qualified', huh? lol You're so naive. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I could see Koivunen getting a shot before the end of next season. Getting 4 mins a night on the 4th line…
Maybe, but his coming out party is likely 25/26.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No. The only loophole we can try would be considering this past season his 4th junior season. He got an exception to play in the WHL because lower leagues were shut down due to COVID. But it was only like a 28 game season with no playoffs.

If you play 4 full CHL seasons you are AHL eligible.
Maybe we should sign him 1st?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Parekh, Mateychuk and Savoie are getting their tires pumped on page 1 of the prospects forum and Yager’s thread is on page 5 after a 2+1 Memorial Cup debut. We can do better than that.

Even if you’re critical of the pick or don’t like him as a prospect he’s still a trade chip.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Parekh, Mateychuk and Savoie are getting their tires pumped on page 1 of the prospects forum and Yager’s thread is on page 5 after a 2+1 Memorial Cup debut. We can do better than that.

Even if you’re critical of the pick or don’t like him as a prospect he’s still a trade chip.
Unless we don't sign him and he goes back into the draft this time next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad