Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It’s so odd watching people shit on Yager after having a productive season in his first post draft year.

I don’t remember anyone doing the same for Poulin despite not being near as good of a prospect.

Went from a 1.14 point per game average to 1.67. Was point per game in the WJC. And yes in both instances he benefited from the talent around him but most players do.

The worst thing for a young player is to stagnate and Yager is showing he’s still growing at a meaningful pace.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yesterday wasn’t a great game for him and a microcosm of some of the not-so desirable parts of his game, with some good mixed in.

He was sub par in the face off dot, most of his wins coming from wing support, but getting beat cleanly a lot. To be fair though, since he’s been relied on more heavily to take draws against top opposition, he’s been struggling. Someone here at some point said he wins more draws then not, he did his draft - 1 year, but not since.

His positioning is usually pretty solid, but against teams that offensively rotate low high and throw in diagonal and short lateral passes, like most that aren’t elite, he gets caught chasing and out of position. He was caught a good amount last night against a skilled and somewhat unconventional offensive Saginaw team.

Against teams with good structure and D, he can tend to keep to the outside and not take the puck to the “hard areas”, instead trying to hammer pucks through the slot or on net for not so great angle shots and sometimes coughing up pressure.

The good is that I’ve watched about 15 Moose Jaw games bored at work this year and this is probably one of the two worst games I’ve seen him play, but also that his team had played. I don’t know if Saginaw surprised them as just a host team, but the Spirit could have easily won the OHL and are every bit as good as London on most nights, and maybe MJ didn’t quite realize that enough.

His ability to find the net was on display. His finishing was actually pretty good. There have been nights this season where his finishing left some to be desired. He is great at loading a shot with time, off either foot, from any angle or position, but is only above average at quick releasing with little time and a lot of pressure, this will improve with strength and experience.

He has good vision and when he has a lane to make a great pass/play, far more often than not he makes it.

Didn’t get to see it much last night, but he is 1a/B on any night as the go to guy on the powerplay that was the #1 unit in the W, and apparently 2nd in the CHL, and with good reason. He couldn’t pick apart Saginaw like he usually does to teams with playmaking and creating chances off his high wall, but only had a few opportunities and they were against a top PK unit in major junior.

At the end of the day, 2+1 against probably the 2nd best team in all of junior on an “off” night after not playing for 8 days is pretty good in my books. Looked better than almost all his OA teammates (although that is admittedly by far the worst I’ve ever seen Firkus play, and not just because Saginaw was on him)

Don’t let this game shape all of your opinion on him, hopefully the jitters are gone and MJ makes a run so we can watch another 3 or 4 Yager games.
nice wright up. thanks! every negative that you have listed will only improve if/when he gets stronger, and that doesn't depend on coaching so there is hope.:laugh:

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It’s so odd watching people shit on Yager after having a productive season in his first post draft year.

I don’t remember anyone doing the same for Poulin despite not being near as good of a prospect.

Went from a 1.14 point per game average to 1.67. Was point per game in the WJC. And yes in both instances he benefited from the talent around him but most players do.

The worst thing for a young player is to stagnate and Yager is showing he’s still growing at a meaningful pace.
I'm not down on him, I just don't think he particularly played a good game last night. I thought he looked real good at the world Junior tournament.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
No but I assume actually qualified people (not you) watched and gave him first star of the game over everyone else on either team…even if everyone else sucked worse, that’s still an achievement lol

Edit: this kid isn’t going to grow anymore in juniors. He should make the club this season and if he’s not good enough, can they send him to Wilkes after his Jan 4 birthday ? I’m not sure of the rules
andy, even the pros have a wide view on yager. he was all over the place his draft year. Some loved him (me) some others not so much. and as for being named first star i would trust most of the posters here to do as good of job as they do. (they usually are nothing more than stat watchers):laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
nice wright up. thanks! every negative that you have listed will only improve if/when he gets stronger, and that doesn't depend on coaching so there is hope.:laugh:
Thanks. I do want to reiterate that just because I started the post with some negatives that ended up making a bit more than half the body of my post, it doesn’t mean I’m not very high on Yager as a prospect.

I think he has a lot of very good attributes, and the season he has put together so far is pretty much everything you could ask for from a mid-first round pick. As other have mentioned, went up .5 PPG in regular season, had a PPG with limited usage in the top tournament in junior hockey, was a driver and producer leading his team to a memorial cup as a 19 year old, and production wise is off to a good start at the mem cup.

One game after being off for 8 days against a top team in the country at your level is a good way for some deficiencies to rear their heads, but I also fully expect him to keep getting better from this point and give us reasons to make posts praising his positive attributes; it’s what he’s done all season so far.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Yager needs to redeem himself tonight, I'll once again be watching INTENTLY, YES!
The whole Moose Jaw team has to figure it out and put together a good game or London will grind them into a fine paste.

A big game by Yager would be impressive against that squad. They aren’t as leaky defensively as Saginaw. Dickinson is Parekh on steroids with a more defensive conscience.

Excited to watch this one .

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The whole Moose Jaw team has to figure it out and put together a good game or London will grind them into a fine paste.

A big game by Yager would be impressive against that squad. They aren’t as leaky defensively as Saginaw. Dickinson is Parekh on steroids with a more defensive conscience.

Excited to watch this one .
It's only exciting if Yager plays well, but they're getting the favorites to win it all tonight. Hoping MJ Adjusts accordingly.

When are we signing Yager?

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
Not to change the subject…but do we still have our Russian scout? I thought I had read we let him go…. Hope not because he obviosly scouted and had us pick Murashov and Illyin.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Turned on the Moosejaw game for a few minutes. Holy cow is their puck management horrific. I don't know that they made a clean pass in 5 minutes, turned it over 5 times into potential odd-man rushes.

London doing nothing but staying in position in they're being given constant chances. Sick goal by O'Rielly there.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Turned on the Moosejaw game for a few minutes. Holy cow is their puck management horrific. I don't know that they made a clean pass in 5 minutes, turned it over 5 times into potential odd-man rushes.

London doing nothing but staying in position in they're being given constant chances. Sick goal by O'Rielly there.
thanks for the update

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Good…Yager is getting prepared well to play for the Pens…lol

Reactions: Jacob

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Moose Jaw went 0-4 on the PP…bad puck management and putrid PP: Yager is definitely gonna feel ready and comfortable playing with the Pens this season…

Yager is 2 years away from playing in the NHL

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think he is best served with being another year of juniors and one year of AHL to mature, add size and strength and be ready for NHL caliber play. Pens will need a different model here as they will not tank for a top pick. Nor should they. Build the farm system up and get younger and better down the road. Use current assets like Rust and Karlsson to help rebuild the talent level after this year.

Reactions: The Old Master

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think he is best served with being another year of juniors and one year of AHL to mature, add size and strength and be ready for NHL caliber play. Pens will need a different model here as they will not tank for a top pick. Nor should they. Build the farm system up and get younger and better down the road. Use current assets like Rust and Karlsson to help rebuild the talent level after this year.
Unless you have some super high-quality reasons that I haven't considered, I simply do not see a FIFTH WHL season being productive for him.

Next year, it should be AHL and NHL as a callup. I just do not see any developmental benefit to a fifth WHL season where you can't go to the NHL when play warrants. I mean, it's find if he spends the entire year in the AHL. No issues with him developing there. But that at least fronts him the opportunity for a cup of coffee here and there if needed.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Unless you have some super high-quality reasons that I haven't considered, I simply do not see a FIFTH WHL season being productive for him.

Next year, it should be AHL and NHL as a callup. I just do not see any developmental benefit to a fifth WHL season where you can't go to the NHL when play warrants. I mean, it's find if he spends the entire year in the AHL. No issues with him developing there. But that at least fronts him the opportunity for a cup of coffee here and there if needed.

He would be "the guy" on his WHL team if he goes back there. Nearly everyone else worth a damn is likely graduating.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So? He'd a 20yo playing against 17/18/19 yos.

He's gone as far as he can and should go in the WHL.

Savoie and Mateychuk are much better prospects and they played in the WHL this year when they were drafted in 2022.

Yager at his size could easily get demolished in the AHL.

I lean towards trying to bring Yager in as an AHL player, but to say there is no benefits seems a little rash.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Savoie and Mateychuk are much better prospects and they played in the WHL this year when they were drafted in 2022.

Yager at his size could easily get demolished in the AHL.

I lean towards trying to bring Yager in as an AHL player, but to say there is no benefits seems a little rash.
He's a year away, as is Koivunen I believe. Both in theory should be able to forge their way to PIT either late next season, or more likely 25-26 when the Dinosaurs have more in the way of supporting roles. We're still gonna need some big time guys to come in. Yager and Koivunen are two nice pieces, but we're gonna have to bring in the ''centerpiece'' via the draft or Free agency. This is a several year process unless we get lucky with some good free agents with fantastic chemistry here right off the hop. Like Bunting times two. That was another good piece. If you can get Reinhart you might have a playoff team. #qualityoverquantity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad