Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m jumping between games but Yager has looked pretty solid all around.
Minus faceoffs he was the best player on the ice! Very good game by him this fine evening.

Also Firkus is the biggest cherry picker I've seen since Ron Duguay!

• Love
Reactions: Gurglesons

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Because of how the Memorial Cup is set up, it's still possible for Moose Jaw to win it.
They'll play the loser of the London/Saginaw game and then if they win that game, they'll play the winner of the London/Saginaw game, but if they win both games, they'll win the Cup.
Either way, Yager gets at least one more game in it.

Reactions: Darren McCord

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Most agree Yager needs to add size strength. He can over the next 2 years. I put some of the younger D men as they do take time to develop. Yes they have played 1 to 3 seasons but are the age that D men generally become what they really will be. Yes RD is a big need and in a year or two forwards especially RW RShot players.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
For all the Yager being dragged along by firkus.

Yager is 2nd in memorial cup stats with 6 points. 3 + 3

While firkus has 3 pts.

I know is just a small sample but the guy drives offense too and is a part of why Firkus had a monster season.

Reactions: Turin

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Minus faceoffs he was the best player on the ice! Very good game by him this fine evening.

Also Firkus is the biggest cherry picker I've seen since Ron Duguay!
is he just getting overpowered? because in the regular season he was pretty good at winning them.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

While firkus has 3 pts.

I know is just a small sample but the guy drives offense too and is a part of why Firkus had a monster season.
I don't find it being the case at all to be honest. While yes Firkus is a fantastic player and they do have great chemistry togheter, he is also a year older than Yager and it's kind of normal to be a little "more dominant"

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
is he just getting overpowered? because in the regular season he was pretty good at winning them.
I wouldn't say overpowered no, more like out finessed. Drummondville centers weren't all that big.

He had a very good game though, was visible in all three zones unlike Firkus. My Lord that guy just waits at center. lol first to leave the D zone (if he even bothers entering it) and last to back check. He's not gonna get away with that in the NHL. Yager is more polished when it comes to all around play by a country mile! Yager supports the puck well, contests on the back check.

Reactions: The Old Master

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

While firkus has 3 pts.

Firkus had a monster season because he's a 20 year old playing against 16 year olds. He's also the biggest cherry picker I've seen in quite some time. If Yager played that same way without any D ZONE responsibility and flew the D Zone like Firkus, he'd put up Bedard like Numbers. His game will not translate to the NHL well at all IF the memorial cup is an indication as to how he's played throughout this year. He'll fly the zone even if his team is pinned in. Just crazy. Sure you wanna stretch the other team but my lord. lol

JUST REMEMBER, FIRKUS: 1ST TO LEAVE THE D ZONE, LAST TO BACK CHECK.

Reactions: The Old Master

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't find it being the case at all to be honest. While yes Firkus is a fantastic player and they do have great chemistry togheter, he is also a year older than Yager and it's kind of normal to be a little "more dominant"
He also doesn't bother coming back to backcheck or waste energy to contest a shot or defend. lol

Sprong looks like Bergeron next to this guy. lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
With the WJ, playoffs and MEM Cup, Yager has played 85 games thus far this season. WOW! In theory that should accelerate his development a bit. 25-26 however is where I see him make the full time Jump to the NHL. One other really good aspect about Yagers game that is unmistakable is his ability to finish. What a release this kid has! Kessel like.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Most agree Yager needs to add size strength. He can over the next 2 years. I put some of the younger D men as they do take time to develop. Yes they have played 1 to 3 seasons but are the age that D men generally become what they really will be. Yes RD is a big need and in a year or two forwards especially RW RShot players.

Watching some bits of a few games I can see why major junior D men need the experience playing pro before they make the big league. I don't even think it's strength, it just seems like the level of the D vs the forwards when it comes to a team game isn't as good. There's so much more responsibility for the D to make the right decisions and make as close to zero mistakes as possible.

They're all bad at figuring out how to consistently get pucks cleanly past even the lamest attempts at forechecking. Pucks in feet, passing when they should hold, keeping the puck on one side to keep it away from guys, how to use headfakes etc to buy time, when to stop behind the net and regroup and when to cut your losses and throw it to space. I haven't seen any of the D in the couple games that looked like they were NHL level at all. If a forward has no idea about those little details they just don't score as much. Or maybe they do if they're skilled enough anyway. There's no hiding lacks of judgment for D.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My mom had a huge crush on Ron Duguay.

My sister did as well. Back in the day, my cousin had season tickets at the old Forum in Montreal. He was going to take me to see Detroit vs. Montreal (Duguay was with the Red Wings at the time). Suddenly, my sister wanted to go to the game. She did not like hockey at that time. But she loved Ron Duguay!

My cousin's seats were ice level. And back then, the benches were on opposite sides of the ice. We were seated about 8 seats away from the end of the visitor's bench. So, I went to the game that night, but my sister insisted to come with me. She spent all night gawking at Duguay. I mean, the dude did have immaculate hair, I will give him that.

Wasn't Duguay a Penguin the year we played Guy Lafleur and the Rangers in round 1?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think it’s all of Savoie, Yager, Firkus benefitting from each other. Firkus doesn’t score the points he does without the PP talent and playing with a guy like Yager on the PK and at ES. Yager definitely benefits points wise from Firkus/PP1 talent but Firkus isn’t creating space for Yager or doing the dirty work.

Mateychuk is the guy I’d pick if anyone is “dragging” anyone.

I want to see Yager back in junior tbh. He’s kind of a perimeter guy rn and imo might not really benefit from putting up 30-40 points in the AHL. I want the puck on his stick controlling shifts in the W.

Here’s his tracking on the perimeter stuff - Players Cards - PuckPreps

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren McCord

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Junior hockey will do nothing for Yager next season, imo. He needs a new challenge. The AHL is not an option, so Pittsburgh it should be then.

This is all on the assumption that he has a strong training camp, but he also has to be put in a good position to start training camp. Otherwise, he is just swimming upstream.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think it’s all of Savoie, Yager, Firkus benefitting from each other.

Mateychuk is the guy I’d pick if anyone is “dragging” anyone.

I want to see Yager back in junior tbh. He’s kind of a perimeter guy rn and imo might not really benefit from putting up 30-40 points in the AHL. I want the puck on his stick controlling shifts in the W.
I think Firkus is benefitting from standing at center ice waiting for the puck. Seriously!

I think you're selling Yager a bit short but I do agree another year of seasoning would be good. Although I'd prefer him play a year in the ''A'' than another in juniors against 16 yr olds.

Junior hockey will do nothing for Yager next season, imo. He needs a new challenge. The AHL is not an option, so Pittsburgh it should be then.

This is all on the assumption that he has a strong training camp, but he also has to be put in a good position to start training camp. Otherwise, he is just swimming upstream.
He could play a year in europe if need be.

Reactions: Jacob

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
He gets roasted on his back hand by guys overpowering him and, like previously mentioned, being out finessed. He’s a lot better on his forehand, where he doesn’t get over powered, is a bit quicker on the push, and seems more comfortable with his body roll to separate on draws. He also ties up more comfortably on his forehand for winger-assisted wins.

I don’t know why there is an idea around here that he was “good” at Draws this season, because his percentage was down season over season to 49.5% from 52.43% the year before. Pretty much as average as can be. Calvert at 62% and Schuurman at 55% out performed him with similar deployment. Although, both are in their 20 yo season, Calvert being bigger at 6’2, 200 and Schuurman being a brick at 5’9, but 200 lbs.

He did though, do well in the world juniors in the limited face offs he got clicking at almost 60% and has picked it up slightly in the playoffs getting to 50.1 %, so the trend up in more important games against better competition is definitely great to see.

The good thing is, when evaluating prospects, even projected-center prospects, FO% in a draft or draft +1 is one of the last things to worry about. It’s probably the most development by reps aspect of a young forwards game. That he won half his draws in his first year as a true #1 center for the best team in the WHL, while being extremely dynamic offensively is very encouraging for me.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

I totally agree, he should at least get the 9 games to start the season and then evaluate

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He gets roasted on his back hand by guys overpowering him and, like previously mentioned, being out finessed. He’s a lot better on his forehand, where he doesn’t get over powered, is a bit quicker on the push, and seems more comfortable with his body roll to separate on draws. He also ties up more comfortably on his forehand for winger-assisted wins.

I don’t know why there is an idea around here that he was “good” at Draws this season, because his percentage was down season over season to 49.5% from 52.43% the year before. Pretty much as average as can be. Calvert at 62% and Schuurman at 55% out performed him with similar deployment. Although, both are in their 20 yo season, Calvert being bigger at 6’2, 200 and Schuurman being a brick at 5’9, but 200 lbs.

He did though, do well in the world juniors in the limited face offs he got clicking at almost 60% and has picked it up slightly in the playoffs getting to 50.1 %, so the trend up in more important games against better competition is definitely great to see.

The good thing is, when evaluating prospects, even projected-center prospects, FO% in a draft or draft +1 is one of the last things to worry about. It’s probably the most development by reps aspect of a young forwards game. That he won half his draws in his first year as a true #1 center for the best team in the WHL, while being extremely dynamic offensively is very encouraging for me.
Is there anything more overrated than FO%? Crosby was terrible at FOs when he started and he still played as an 18-year-old. Nothing about FOs should be considered at all when deciding if this kid should play in the NHL next season…and neither should his height or weight lol

Reactions: lokomotiv15

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I don’t know why there is an idea around here that he was “good” at Draws this season, because his percentage was down season over season to 49.5% from 52.43%
1. should improve as he adds strength.
2. from what I've seen, he seemed to win the important ones. :dunno:

Is there anything more overrated than FO%? Crosby was terrible at FOs when he started and he still played as an 18-year-old. Nothing about FOs should be considered at all when deciding if this kid should play in the NHL next season…and neither should his height or weight lol
it just adds to the overall picture (shows he wants to be a complete player)

Last edited:
Reactions: lokomotiv15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad