Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Biggest thing that I didn't think would happen was his lacking the intensity coming from a father who played for years in the NHL. Just surprised how much he just didn't go 100% at times.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wonder if Kapanen would've turned out differently if he spent all of his development time here instead of around those divas in Toronto.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Kapanen never had the hockey IQ to be more than what he is. The years he was more productive were outliers from playing with more talented players. I blame the coaching staff a lot for player usage but Kap was never really going to be more than a 3rd liner.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Kap is a Top 9 tweener, but hell, the Pens love that shit., e.g. the cult of Dupuis and DOC. That's fine. Maybe he would have been more productive consistently with a different coach, but there's very little difference between people DOC and Kap besides the cap hit.

He's more a symptom of this team wanting players like Kap, DOC, Puusy, etc. but expecting them to be somehow... different than what they actually are.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It would've been good if he had fit on the powerplay. He didn't get enough looks for my liking but anytime he did he just tended to easily lose the puck without any pressure on him.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It would've been good if he had fit on the powerplay. He didn't get enough looks for my liking but anytime he did he just tended to easily lose the puck without any pressure on him.
So he'd be a perfect fit for our current scheme. Maybe the new PP coach will have some ideas about how to hold on to the puck?

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Kap really should’ve been able to be an elite 3rd wheel in your top 6 and your top PKer with his puck retrieval and skill.

Def blame Sullivan for never using him on the kill or in 3v3. I kinda blame Kap for not playing that buzz saw style he was capable of but it was also clear the coach jerked him around so much it affected his confidence. At the end he was so scared of making mistakes when his skillset was built to play with reckless abandon and fly the zone early, etc.

Would go 75% Sully, 25% Kap as far as blame goes. Kaps IQ definitely limited him but he’s one of the more egregious examples of Sullivan misusing of a player.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Kap really should’ve been able to be an elite 3rd wheel in your top 6 and your top PKer with his puck retrieval and skill.

Def blame Sullivan for never using him on the kill or in 3v3. I kinda blame Kap for not playing that buzz saw style he was capable of but it was also clear the coach jerked him around so much it affected his confidence. At the end he was so scared of making mistakes when his skillset was built to play with reckless abandon and fly the zone early, etc.

Would go 75% Sully, 25% Kap as far as blame goes. Kaps IQ definitely limited him but he’s one of the more egregious examples of Sullivan misusing of a player.

Short Handed Min
2018-1922TORNHL78124.9
2019-2023TORNHL69113.4
2020-2124PITNHL402.8
2021-2225PITNHL790 (Literally 0)

Imagine thinking you defined your role in the NHL as a 3rd wheel penalty killer, then you get trade and pretty much are told to recreate yourself. Then when you struggle your icetime is cut by a third until you are traded.

Sullivan definitely screwed with Kaps head. Hextall never should have signed him for two years. I bet if Kap gets free earlier he is better off.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Yeah, exactly. Kap became exactly what the Pens said they wanted in Toronto. The problem is, what Sullivan says he wants isn't what he actually wants. So every year when we bring him in to get his significant input on the roster, it's maddening when he won't use or play the players he specifically wanted to acquire or tries to remake their games.

It's so f***ing stupid.

Mike Sullivan is basically a domestic house cat when it comes to player usage.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kap got us two cups by getting himself traded for Kessel. He achieved his purpose.

Is funny that Pastrnak got taken a few picks after him though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If I remember correctly, in the original trade discussions, Toronto wanted Pouliot but settled in the end for Kapanen. Imagine if we'd sent Pouliot and kept Kapanen...
Imagine if we had drafted Pastrnak instead of Kapanen, and then sent Pouliot over in the Kessel trade.

We win the two cups and then Pastrnak gets called up and hits his prime and we win another one in the past 4-5 years.

Ah a man can dream

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Imagine if we had drafted Pastrnak instead of Kapanen, and then sent Pouliot over in the Kessel trade.

We win the two cups and then Pastrnak gets called up and hits his prime and we win another one in the past 4-5 years.

Ah a man can dream
If you're feeling too happy, go back and look at past draft "what could have beens"

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If you're feeling too happy, go back and look at past draft "what could have beens"
In fairness, every team has those. We can't complain too much. Jake Guentzel and Matt Murray were fabulous finds and we literally won two cups in large part because Shero was able to draft both of them. And obviously Letang has been a big part of two cups and was taken in the third round.

It is a damned shame we missed out on Pasta though because he would have basically extended our window indefinitely. You don't have to rebuild right now if you have Pastrnak around. You just keep building around him after Sid/Geno retire.

But we're a lucky franchise historically. I'm sure we'll fall ass backwards into some more premium talents soon and everyone will hate on us for it :laugh:

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
In fairness, every team has those. We can't complain too much. Jake Guentzel and Matt Murray were fabulous finds and we literally won two cups in large part because Shero was able to draft both of them. And obviously Letang has been a big part of two cups and was taken in the third round.

It is a damned shame we missed out on Pasta though because he would have basically extended our window indefinitely. You don't have to rebuild right now if you have Pastrnak around. You just keep building around him after Sid/Geno retire.

But we're a lucky franchise historically. I'm sure we'll fall ass backwards into some more premium talents soon and everyone will hate on us for it :laugh:
Remember that playoff Krupp goal eliminating them got us Jagr too

Reactions: Pancakes

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They want Jagr to be an ambassador of sorts. He'll stay in Czechia but be a more frequent visitor to Pittsburgh for certain events and programs.

Their preferred candidates may be head coach candidates, as well. Their preferred candidates may be determining whether to stay with their current teams or not. Or their preferred candidates may be still in the playoffs at some level.

There's no rush. An assistant coach isn't doing much this time of year.
Dubas prioritizing an AC to "help," I think, helps him rebalance the "power struggle" with Sullivan. Short of firing him, I'd be doing everything to let Sullivan know he's on notice.

Dubas: Okay, let's talk about potential structure thoughts for next year. New AC, you start. I'd like to get some fresh perspective.
AC: We should do X, Y, Z
Dubas: Great, awesome! Thank you! ...Sully?
Sully: ...I thought we competed hard...
Dubas: Uh hu

Oh for sure. That's why it's too hard to get too mad. The draft really is a crap shoot.

I said in another thread, go find the Dallas Stars' scouting team and offer them the f***ing moon to come over to our side. They are competing right now because they've hit big time on several 2nd round picks.
Remember that playoff Krupp goal eliminating them got us Jagr too
Jagsy told the other teams that he wasn't coming over. Then told the Penguins he would.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hahaha you guys are funny.

You really think Sullivan is going to let Dubas hire someone who is a threat to him?

He already graciously allowed Dubas to fire Toddddddddddddd. That's more than enough compromise for Mike Sullivan for at least a calendar year.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Dubas prioritizing an AC to "help," I think, helps him rebalance the "power struggle" with Sullivan. Short of firing him, I'd be doing everything to let Sullivan know he's on notice.

Dubas: Okay, let's talk about potential structure thoughts for next year. New AC, you start. I'd like to get some fresh perspective.
AC: We should do X, Y, Z
Dubas: Great, awesome! Thank you! ...Sully?
Sully: ...I thought we competed hard...
Dubas: Uh hu

Oh for sure. That's why it's too hard to get too mad. The draft really is a crap shoot.

I said in another thread, go find the Dallas Stars' scouting team and offer them the f***ing moon to come over to our side. They are competing right now because they've hit big time on several 2nd round picks.

Jagsy told the other teams that he wasn't coming over. Then told the Penguins he would.
there's a good documentary about how we got Jagr and it's filled with some good old fashioned Iron Curtain corruption, lol.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I still remember the 1984 draft in Montreal, and the secrecy behind the Petr Svoboda drafting by Montreal.

I miss those cloak-and dagger days.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Ah a man can dream
Imagine we drafted Marchand 3rd round instead of Brian Straight. Let's make a time machine, we will make the best team ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad