Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think it differs person to person. Geno has been here going on 2 decades and Murashov is better at speaking English than him already.

My brain is seemingly incapable of handling a 2nd language and some of my friends pick it up quick.
The difference is when Geno was drafted, English wasn't still that accessible in Russia outside of wealthy kids who wanted to go to school in the West or like, hip-hop fans. Nowadays, every kid is exposed to English language youtube/streaming services, or media from infancy. Just hearing a second language at that point gives you a big hand in acquiring it later.

Public service announcement: if anyone here has kids and speaks a second language, teach your kids it! They pick it up so quick while they're young and even if they don't end up using that second language much, it gives them such a developmental edge in learning languages later.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
The difference is when Geno was drafted, English wasn't still that accessible in Russia outside of wealthy kids who wanted to go to school in the West or like, hip-hop fans. Nowadays, every kid is exposed to English language youtube/streaming services, or media from infancy. Just hearing a second language at that point gives you a big hand in acquiring it later.

Public service announcement: if anyone here has kids and speaks a second language, teach your kids it! They pick it up so quick while they're young and even if they don't end up using that second language much, it gives them such a developmental edge in learning languages later.
My Nephew will most likely end up speaking German, Dutch, English and Romanian + any language he choses to learn.

I doubt English will be a problem for any prospect coming over in the future. You are just way to exposed to it through the internet and gaming and stuff which most young kids do. And obviously most countries also teach it in school.
Even though I improved most through gaming and following the NHL from an early age onwards.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I'd agree with that.

I'd also point out that in Czechia or other European countries, proximity plays a role. I live in a state whose width is wide enough to touch 11 different countries in Europe if the center was put in Prague.

In the US, it's all English but really, where else would we run into anything else? Those that live more south, they are exposed to Spanish but we do see an increase in duel speaking people.

Russia, I have no idea. You have a few of the boarding countries speaking something different but I imagine it's all Baltic-based so it wouldn't be hard to learn them. Just like people fluent in Spanish can pick up French and Italian relatively quick.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Joel Blomqvist is 15th in Scott Wheeler's top drafted goaltender prospects. These are players who are the property of an NHL team but have yet to establish themselves in the NHL.

Sergei Murashov just missed the cut, Wheeler wrote.

He's got a bunch of guys drafted this year and last year over Blomqvist. They might have better raw tools but Blomqvist was a top-3 goalie in the AHL last year. Weird to rank him 15th.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Flipside: If you wait too late (and/or have ADHD) then no amount of desire and devotion is going to make up those lost opportunities.

As someone who fancies himself a 'world traveler' it f***ing sucks being unilingual. Meanwhile my Finnish friend's toddler speaks better English than most pre-2000s NHLers.

I doubt Geno had a realistic opportunity to attempt to learn English in Magnitogorsk prior to age 17/18. There's a small part of me that's going to miss the child-like awe of 18 year-olds like Jagr & Geno coming over without speaking a word of English, but I can't imagine how much easier the adjustment is today.

I'd agree with that.

I'd also point out that in Czechia or other European countries, proximity plays a role. I live in a state whose width is wide enough to touch 11 different countries in Europe if the center was put in Prague.

In the US, it's all English but really, where else would we run into anything else? Those that live more south, they are exposed to Spanish but we do see an increase in duel speaking people.

Russia, I have no idea. You have a few of the boarding countries speaking something different but I imagine it's all Baltic-based so it wouldn't be hard to learn them. Just like people fluent in Spanish can pick up French and Italian relatively quick.

Agreed with all of this. The first language I attempted to learn was French, because as a hockey fan growing up closer to Québec than Mexico it seemed somehow more practical. Of course Pittsburgh isn't actually close to Québec, so I forgot every bit of French long before I'd actually visit Quebec in my mid-20s.

I've definitely picked up quite a bit of Spanish because of living in SoCal for the past dozen years, but I'll never be conversational in it. The closest thing to Spanish I was introduced to in Pittsburgh was f***ing Chi-Chi's.

The number of people I see saying that they either started to learn or taught themselves English by watching TV/internet stuff is mind-blowing, but I can't say I don't get it. What little Danish I learned while living there was more from watching American TV with Danish subtitles than in my intensive language course.

Hell, I studied Russian in college...or at least tried to. Sure enough the only Russian words I know today are the ones associated with media (namely why Chewbacca is named that (собака is dog) and the slang in A Clockwork Orange). Granted my struggles with Russian are what led to me finally getting that ADHD diagnosis, but trying to learn that language with complete devotion as a 20 year-old failed miserably.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Agreed with all of this. The first language I attempted to learn was French, because as a hockey fan growing up closer to Québec than Mexico it seemed somehow more practical. Of course Pittsburgh isn't actually close to Québec, so I forgot every bit of French long before I'd actually visit Quebec in my mid-20s.

I've definitely picked up quite a bit of Spanish because of living in SoCal for the past dozen years, but I'll never be conversational in it. The closest thing to Spanish I was introduced to in Pittsburgh was f***ing Chi-Chi's.

The number of people I see saying that they either started to learn or taught themselves English by watching TV/internet stuff is mind-blowing, but I can't say I don't get it. What little Danish I learned while living there was more from watching American TV with Danish subtitles than in my intensive language course.

Hell, I studied Russian in college...or at least tried to. Sure enough the only Russian words I know today are the ones associated with media (namely why Chewbacca is named that (собака is dog) and the slang in A Clockwork Orange). Granted my struggles with Russian are what led to me finally getting that ADHD diagnosis, but trying to learn that language with complete devotion as a 20 year-old failed miserably.
In the teams there was a big push to send guys to language school, particularly for Arabic and Pashto but man did a lot of guys struggle. I think now a days it's a throw mud on the wall deal where you send 20 guys and hope that 1-2 pick it up and get good while the other 18 know "just enough". You did pick up some basic commands out of necessity but I was NEVER good at. Reading it, forget it. Commands, sure after practice. Conversational speaking where grammar and such are out the window and you have to pick up on nuances, absolutely not.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Any news on Murashov? Think he said camps in Russia started mid July

Not really. From a week ago:

"An additional factor supporting Murashov’s move is that he has yet to renew his contract with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, which only made him a qualifying offer to retain the player’s rights in the KHL."

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd agree with that.

Baltic languages separated from Slavic like 7000 years ago, they're pretty different. :laugh: That said, Russia was previously more of a culturally monolingual country, like France or the US. But, I think even now, video games and streaming have made English really the lingua franca the way that nothing has ever been before.

Honestly, if I hadn't been lucky enough to grow up with people speaking Slovak, I doubt I would have gotten as fluent as I am in Czech. Slavic languages are HARD. :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Baltic languages separated from Slavic like 7000 years ago, they're pretty different. :laugh: That said, Russia was previously more of a culturally monolingual country, like France or the US. But, I think even now, video games and streaming have made English really the lingua franca the way that nothing has ever been before.

Honestly, if I hadn't been lucky enough to grow up with people speaking Slovak, I doubt I would have gotten as fluent as I am in Czech. Slavic languages are HARD. :laugh:
That was a third-tense you, the proverbial "you", not "You you". I know Baltic and Slav are separate.

A better way to put would have been: Russia, I have no idea. For the average person living in Russia, they have a few of the boarding countries all speaking something different but I imagine it's all Baltic-based so it wouldn't be hard to learn them. Just like people fluent in Spanish can pick up French and Italian relatively quick.

I believe Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Belarusian, etc, are all Baltic-based, no?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Happy to report that I failed miserably to teach my kids when they were little. Now when they are in their mid 20s they are struggling to learn it so much, wires are not crossed properly

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That was a third-tense you, the proverbial "you", not "You you". I know Baltic and Slav are separate.

A better way to put would have been: Russia, I have no idea. For the average person living in Russia, they have a few of the boarding countries all speaking something different but I imagine it's all Baltic-based so it wouldn't be hard to learn them. Just like people fluent in Spanish can pick up French and Italian relatively quick.

I believe Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Belarusian, etc, are all Baltic-based, no?
Belarussian is Slavic for sure. Latvian and Lithuanian are Baltic and related, but I think Estonian is Finno-Urgic. But yeah, your general point is good Seal, it's just that this is my little fiefdom of expertise so I like to hold court on it. Feel free to ignore if it gets boring. :laugh:

Slavic languages tend to be closer together than most other language families, but I guarantee you they can still be pretty far apart. For example, if I'm talking to @vodeni and I'm speaking Czech and he's speaking BCSM, each of us will get some of the gist of the conversation, but the fine details aren't going to be there. If either of us were talking to a Lithuanian, we might get like a single word or two, but the grammar is going to be incomprehensible. If it's me speaking to a Pole, I'll generally be fine, just some weird pronunciation differences. If I'm in Bulgaria or Macedonia, I'll understand things, but mostly because I was dumb enough to take a class in Old Church Slavonic which has a bigger influence there than in Czech in terms of vocabulary. Your average Czech is just going to go off of the vocabulary they know is similar ("pivo" = "пиво") but the uniqueness of the Macedonian or Bulgarian grammar is going to make it hard to speak for them.

Plus Russians, like the French or Americans have long had a reputation for assuming that everyone speaks Russian everywhere. I think that's basically the bigger issue, culturally speaking. It's not that Russians can't learn second languages, it's that, for a long time, they didn't, unless it was French and their name was Pushkin.

Happy to report that I failed miserably to teach my kids when they were little. Now when they are in their mid 20s they are struggling to learn it so much, wires are not crossed properly
Yeah, Slavic languages just don't work the way English does and it's hard for a lot of people to wrap their heads around it. I'm feeling the same way about learning Mandarin which just boggles my mind at how simple-but-different the grammar is, not to mention the tones.

Reactions: SEALBound

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Then they get a text from Filip Hallander - "Lol, f***ing idiots."

I think after the Flyers took Michkov, other teams weren't going to risk letting the talented ones slide down too much. Habs taking Demidov at where he went, Caps took Miroshnichenko and got him to come over rather quickly too. That Flyers situation with Michkov and Fedotov was curious. A lot felt Michkov should have gone higher but you know, Russia stuff, then Fedotov had the contract issue that the Flyers, NHL, and IIHF looked over and they won and he came over.

Was it 2021 where teams were very hesitant? I recall maybe 1 or none were taken in the first round.

"An additional factor supporting Murashov’s move is that he has yet to renew his contract with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, which only made him a qualifying offer to retain the player’s rights in the KHL."

I hope he signs and stays with the Penguins and reports to WBS and thrives, just to see dipshits like Rossi and Yohe have to praise his potential and knowing who drafted him. I like how they entirely ignore it when discussing Jack St Ivany.

Murashov's issue at his draft was that he was smaller, but his numbers were insane and then he also grew to a very good size for a goalie to still fill out the net and not be "smaller" for the NHL at 6'2" - Stating that to be his previous height, he'd have to be Sheshterkin good (listed at 6'1" and Murashov at his draft was 6'). Being right handed glove is interesting as well, not many in the league that are right handed catchers - Lindgren, Francouz, and Petersen were the regulars that I saw.

Vokoun was a righty, in his brief but memorable time as a Penguin and he was called an "anomaly" for it most of the time, or it was definitely mentioned a f*** ton for random trivia or mentions by pbp teams. Even if Murashov's numbers are basically elite level in MHL/KHL, it's a massive grain of salt since we never really got to see him in a proper IIHF tournament after 2021-22 (he had good stats for 1 game as well - he won that one).

I'd be cool if him and Blomqvist ended up being our goalie tandem of the future. It all started so promising more than a few years ago, we got to brag we had Murray and Jarry and now it's like yeah...next chapter already please!

I think the issue is contract limit - Penguins are at 48, adding Murashov means they'd be at 49 for a limit of 50. Kindergarten Kyle needs to punt Nieto or Acciari or both asap.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He's got a bunch of guys drafted this year and last year over Blomqvist. They might have better raw tools but Blomqvist was a top-3 goalie in the AHL last year. Weird to rank him 15th.
That list is definitely idiotic, he really has no proper justification for any of it and just goes off what he is biased towards vs any actual factual information that should change his mind. Like Blomqvist lower than Knight and Cossa while having a better year in the AHL as a rookie, lol. Most of those goalies are a few years in with a decent amount of games, Blom just had his first year and led all rookies for wins and 2nd most games played by a rookie goalie at 45.

He kept going on about how 6'2" wasn't big enough as well, that's comical.

Whatever, Pens prospects getting shit on isn't anything new, I blame it on Sullivan not wanting to use any of them f***ing at all, as well as needing better coaching staff there, but having the most wins as a rookie last year in the AHL and getting slighted that hard is a f*** you, so eat shit Scott Wheeler. Blomqvist was a 2nd round pick, not some 7th round pick that had a few full seasons in the AHL like 2 of the blokes above him.

Wheeler basically soils himself for Dustin Wolf, lol.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think he's not really in Yaroslavl's plans for whatever reason, otherwise, if they showed even a passing interest in him, he'd not be here at all. Which now raises the question of if he'll get any shot to develop in Russia at all.

That said, I really think we should make a spot for him, if we're at all interested.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I think he's not really in Yaroslavl's plans for whatever reason, otherwise, if they showed even a passing interest in him, he'd not be here at all. Which now raises the question of if he'll get any shot to develop in Russia at all.

That said, I really think we should make a spot for him, if we're at all interested.
Maybe he prefers the US?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Young Russian goalie speaks english very well. He has to learn yinzer talk but he is conversational right now. A lot of Swedish players speak very well and they don't seem to have that heavy choppy speech patterns like Malkin. I have to believe the Swedish players do learn english early on.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Young Russian goalie speaks english very well. He has to learn yinzer talk but he is conversational right now. A lot of Swedish players speak very well and they don't seem to have that heavy choppy speech patterns like Malkin. I have to believe the Swedish players do learn english early on.
Swedes, Germans/Swiss/Austrians all learn English growing up. With Russians, Czechs, Slovaks, Finns, it depends. Seems like Russians historically haven't learned English much coming up, so if Murashov is just adequate, that'll help him in his adjustment to North America whenever he starts in Wilkes Barre.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Stopping the puck (any way possible) is the top asset of any goaltending prospect. The stats matter more at that position because it is almost impossible to project how a goaltender will be down the line. Probably because down the line for a goaltender sometimes means 4, 5, 6 years later. Lots of goaltenders are not even prospects anymore in the NHL technical term when they are ready.

SO, I will take Blomqvist and his numbers in the AHL over many others right now. Wolf's numbers in the AHL have been insanely good. But he has not looked good at all in the NHL, so far. May not mean anything. Or, it could be a thing.

At least Blomqvist has a clean sheet of ice in terms of NHL numbers. Yea, it means he is unproven but it also means he should be ranked higher than 15th.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Speaking of language Blomqvist is from a small part of Finland that is majority Swedish and I’ve wondered if Swedish is his first language. He may be trilingual.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Maybe he prefers the US?
I would f***ing hope so. :laugh:

Speaking of language Blomqvist is from a small part of Finland that is majority Swedish and I’ve wondered if Swedish is his first language. He may be trilingual.
Probably. But as the old joke goes, nobody speaks more languages than a Hungarian waiter, except for a Finnish goaltender.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
He can tell Sullivan go f*** himself in 3 languages, I'm very impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad