Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not to be a wet blanket, but I have a feeling by the time these guys have been drafted they've gone through extensive personalized skating instruction. That was a pretty new concept in the 80's, 90's and even early 00's and would make sense why guys back then could upgrade their game drastically by taking it on.

In this day and age any respectable competitive youth, junior, college, etc. program has extensive power skating training. Even many non-respectable ones have it such as the ones I went through.
I agree with this. You can’t change someone’s biology, like hip mobility and limb-lengths, and you probably can’t alter their skating mechanics much by this point either.

An adult, elite-level player could focus on one particular aspect of their skating, like say straight-line speed, every summer for several summers in a row and probably only make a very marginal, possibly imperceptible improvement. Because it’s not like every other player, including the good skaters, aren’t also continuing to work on their skating as well.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Watching some interviews with Murashov from camp. He speaks English incredibly well. I'm surprised an announcement hasn't been made on where he is playing next year yet.
The internet has made a huge difference there. I have quite a few Russian students whose English is almost native-level.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Watching some interviews with Murashov from camp. He speaks English incredibly well. I'm surprised an announcement hasn't been made on where he is playing next year yet.
I guess we shouldn't be that surprised after all, I mean Yager still hasn't signed his ELC and I don't really know what they waiting for

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The internet has made a huge difference there. I have quite a few Russian students whose English is almost native-level.
I have nothing but the highest regard for anyone that can learn English. i was born in this country and i still don't understand it. :laugh: Galagher explained it well. (for those that are old enough to remember him.) we park in a driveway but we drive in a parkway. if you think this makes any sense to you, you are far smarter than me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SomeDude

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I have nothing but the highest regard for anyone that can learn English. i was born in this country and i still don't understand it. :laugh: Galagher explained it well. (for those that are old enough to remember him.) we park in a driveway but we drive in a parkway. if you think this makes any sense to you, you are far smarter than me.

I think it differs person to person. Geno has been here going on 2 decades and Murashov is better at speaking English than him already.

My brain is seemingly incapable of handling a 2nd language and some of my friends pick it up quick.

Reactions: The Old Master

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
And to think English is one of the easier languages to learn and attain both academic/vernacular fluency, not only for non-English speakers, but non-English speakers that come from linguistical backgrounds that do not rely on alphabetical structures - that is, logographic or syllabaric languages. These non-English speakers didn’t grow up with letters that correspond to sound segments (phonemes) directly and don’t have inherent meanings. The way to look at, digest, interpret, enunciate, compose sentences in English is an entirely and radically different skillset for a native speaker of syllabaric languages (Japanese, Korean Hangul, Cherokee) or a speaker of logographic languages (Chinese).

I will always admire the effort my wife, who is a white American woman, put in to learn both Mandarin and Cantonese - as an adult - to the extent that she is business proficient in both. This includes not just spoken, but also the reading and writing of characters. One basically has to push away everything one learned about alphabets, phonemes and lexemes as a toddler, and open up to an entirely new construct of a language that is based on small logographs that represent morphemes (units of meanings), and not sounds.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hallander didn’t even request a trade or anything so I doubt Sullivan has much to do with it.

He was waiver eligible so 31 teams would’ve had a crack at him for free if Sullivan didn’t want him.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
When we do our rankings we will probably have to decide if we want to keep Hallander in them or not.

He technically is still our guy. Just a
Probably a .5% chance he comes back.

The dude is under contract until he's 28 years old. He's not coming back. He can be the Morozov of Sweden.

He may and he's a Pens property, as odd as that sounds.

I’m in favor of keeping him off the prospect rankings. If there’s any sign he wants to come back over we can put him back on.

Last year the board decided that Hallander and Lindberg weren't going to be included in the polls. I'll exclude them this year too.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yager and Howe are there for Canada.
Swanson for USA
Yager will be a focus obviously. Excited to see how Howe stacks up but really, I'm more curious about Swanson. It was such an odd draft and the rankings were ALL over the board. I'm curious to see if there is something to that pick or it's just someone we expect to fade off into obscurity.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yager will be a focus obviously. Excited to see how Howe stacks up but really, I'm more curious about Swanson. It was such an odd draft and the rankings were ALL over the board. I'm curious to see if there is something to that pick or it's just someone we expect to fade off into obscurity.

At best, he could be the next Cliff Ronning! At worst, he is a player drafted where he was drafted.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
it will be fun pulling for the kid, but don't get your hopes up.:laugh:

Reactions: SEALBound

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Reactions: Andy99

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Swanson will surprise a lot of people who don't follow prospects, junior, NCAA this year when he has a good year at North Dakota. I would expect 25-30 points if not more in about 37 games for the Fighting Hawks. But he won't make the 2025 US World Junior Roster.

He'll go back to North Dakota for his sophomore year, kill it in the first half, make the 2026 US World Junior Roster, and have a good World Junior. My thoughts on him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
This feels like the right place to put this. We aren't trying to compete this year. Next year maybe we try to make the playoffs to get the kids some experience. It's the season after, 26-27, when we presumably go for it. I'm gonna try to project the lineup out that far.

DOC Crosby Yager
Bunting Malkin Koivunen
Poulin Ponomarev Puustinen
Gruden Lizzote Puljiiarvi
Broz

Not bad. This assumes Rust and Rakell are moved but maybe one of them stays if the kids don't step up into the top 6. Poulin might not ever pan out, and I think only one of Puustinen or Pulji sticks, but this is a nice framework where a high dollar forward could slot in anywhere.

Pettersson Karlsson
Pickering Letang
Graves St Ivany
Shea/Ludvig/Aho

I would like to see us keep Petts because he's going to be hard to replace internally or via trade. Pickering should be ready to be a #4 by then. I wouldn't mind moving Graves but that contract might be an albatross.

Blomqvist
Gauthier/Larsson/Murashov

By far our deepest position. We could always add a vet but one of those guys should be ready to go.

That's a pretty cheap young lineup we could afford to add to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad