Rumor: Pittsburgh interested in Mangiapane and Wahlstrom

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Old teams who miss the playoffs 2 years in a row don't spend huge assets to improve their teams.
Then "retool" by unloading redundant or unnecessary pieces to add picks/prospects.

The Pens' approach is the worst of both worlds. They're not rebuilding/retooling, but they're also not "going for it". They're just swapping out mediocre 40 point Player A for mediocre 40 point Player B.

Reactions: GoldenKnight

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Then "retool" by unloading redundant or unnecessary pieces to add picks/prospects.

The Pens' approach is the worst of both worlds. They're not rebuilding/retooling, but they're also not "going for it". They're just swapping out mediocre 40 point Player A for mediocre 40 point Player B.

That’s literally what they’ve been doing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What could Pittsburgh even realistically offer?

They don't have their 2024 1st, at last check they were the oldest team in the league so they probably shouldn't give up their 2025 or 2026 1st and they only have about 2, MAYBE 3 Prospects depending on how you feel about the goaltender that are worth anything.

Unless they can sucker Calgary into a Mangiapane for Smith trade ot something

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

They don't have their 2024 1st, at last check they were the oldest team in the league so they probably shouldn't give up their 2025 or 2026 1st and they only have about 2, MAYBE 3 Prospects depending on how you feel about the goaltender that are worth anything.

Lol Mangipane is absolutely not bringing back a 1st rounder.

He makes $5.8 million a year and is coming off of 2 years of 40ish points.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Mangipane could be had for cheap. Him and the Flames are at completely different places contract wise and the Flames want Pelletier in his spot on the 3rd line. Flames are probably better off trading him mid season than this off season though.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Mangiapane at 50% retained is a guy I was hoping the Oil would target

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Lets not act like 40+ points is nothing.

Even if he doesn't bring back a 1st Pittsburgh prospect pool is arguably the worst in the league

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Keep that same energy when talking about Smith's value.

When did I say Smith was a bad player? I never have, I've saidhe's one of the guys I'd target because he's got a ring, and I think the Leafs need to start bringing in people who have won.

That doesn't mean that a trade based around Smith and Mangiapane would be good for Calgary because it wouldn't.

They would be suckers to do that.

Smith is a good player and Smith for Mangiapane would be awful for Calgary.

Both things can be, and are true

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I really like Mangiapane, but $5.8M is a bit much for him.
I'm also intrigued if Wahlstrom is just a bad fit with the Islanders, or if he's just not very good. I'd be okay with him, but wouldn't want to pay too much, if anything, for him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
When did I say Smith was a bad player? I never have, I've saidhe's one of the guys I'd target because he's got a ring, and I think the Leafs need to start bringing in people who have won.

That doesn't mean that a trade based around Smith and Mangiapane would be good for Calgary because it wouldn't.

They would be suckers to do that.

Smith is a good player and Smith for Mangiapane would be awful for Calgary.

Both things can be, and are true
Why would they be suckers to do that?

They're both impending UFAs, Smith has been more productive over the last two years, and he has Cup experience. Both are good defensively.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Correct. Given winger values of late, I'd peg him at a 3rd, maybe a late 2nd if we're lucky. If we retain half, maybe it's a 3rd and 4th/5th.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

Mangiapane at 5.8 million for a 1st is just crazy talk. And i like the guy. Honestly you could retain 50% on him at the deadline and I still don't think he goes much more than a midround to late 2nd.

Bottom line, with Jake moving on, Penguins need to add a bonified goal scorer. Mangiapane doesn't move the needle for us, especially if Rakell or Smith goes the other way.

I could see Mangiapane making sense for us but as a complementary winger, not as our main move. Unfortunately, I fear that Dubas thinks Mangiapane is "the guy". I can see it now:

1. Dubas gets Mangiapane and Wahlstrom
2. Lets Ned walk and signs Stolarz
3. In a press conference, Dubas gloats about his under the radar Mangiapane deal and says the org has full trust in Tristan Jarry moving forward
4. Ned has a breakout season wherever he signs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mangiapane at 5.8 million for a 1st is just crazy talk. And i like the guy. Honestly you could retain 50% on him at the deadline and I still don't think he goes much more than a midround to late 2nd.

Bottom line, with Jake moving on, Penguins need to add a bonified goal scorer. Mangiapane doesn't move the needle for us, especially if Rakell or Smith goes the other way.

I could see Mangiapane making sense for us but as a complementary winger, not as our main move. Unfortunately, I fear that Dubas thinks Mangiapane is "the guy". I can see it now:

1. Dubas gets Mangiapane and Wahlstrom
2. Lets Ned walk and signs Stolarz
3. In a press conference, Dubas gloats about his under the radar Mangiapane deal and says the org has full trust in Tristan Jarry moving forward
4. Ned has a breakout season wherever he signs

Does the fact that #2 didn't happen make you feel better?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad