Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming!

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
It’s a funny thing.

Looking at his attitude, almost wonder if he wanted to go because here he 100% knows he wouldn’t be “the man” as the NHL has already hyped Michkov as a potential generational type, so maybe he felt he had a better shot elsewhere. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Second, I don’t think Drysdale is underwhelming - his draft profile is pretty elite, but it isn’t without risk. I do think the Flyers waiting and getting a lesser return would be preferred by some on this board out of spite, even though almost everybody here gets so antsy about maximizing value.

Would have been nice to have Cutter and Michkov joining though - would have made things a lot simpler for this draft, they’d definitely have to trade some forwards, etc.

Now it’s just complicated and I hope DB makes some shrewd moves.
It's already been reported that he was extremely miffed about the contract he was promised and then didn't get so I don't think we need to look much further than that. If he gets his payday and earlier FA then he's likely a Flyer right now. Briere made a miscalculation about the situation and this is the result.

Drysdale when he actually plays, which is rare, has been very underwhelming. I couldn't care less what people say about his draft profile, lol. That doesn't matter in the slightest at this point in time. They got sold damaged goods... that may not have had it in the first place. I guess you can argue that they needed to try to maximize value and they did try but they apparently whiffed.

So yeah it is bad, embarrassing and a real organizational low point. I just hope it is a wake up call to them that their dino ways aren't a good path forward but we should all know that they are incapable of changing and don't intend to.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
He's literally managed to sign a player that very few people thought would ever play in the NHL. Two of them infact, and they will be here this season.

He acquired another first for Walker, a player he targetted in that Provorov trade. Even though we totally aren't rebuilding, and he's definitely going all in during a playoff run, at least that's what we all keep getting told.

The "fourth liners" we sign, are actually capable 3rd liners now, and not players like Nicky fists. Which marks a considerable change from literally every other GM we've had. We have the youngest team in the NHL right now, that missed the playoffs by a single game.

He's been acquiring picks through asset management. I literally don't understand how people can't see that we have made significant changes to the way we operate, even if those changes aren't radical enough for the minority on this board.

We are entering the most important draft in recent flyers history. This is a big moment for Briere. He could come out the other end of this draft with some significant pieces that are going to be the cornerstone of the franchise, or he could bomb it. Either way, I have significantly more faith in him than I did Fletcher or Holmgren, maybe even Hextall.
they are 3rd liners because management won't try out the kids on the farm on the 4th..unless it is a demotion or you are trying to screw over the captain

also they missed by more than a single game since ya know..they were 4 points back of the WC and 7 of 3rd in the division

as for the draft ..yeah its important..but they did themselves no favors by pushing for a PO spot and I personally..do not trust this scouting staff to get anything right save a clear slam dunk pick

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
they are 3rd liners because management won't try out the kids on the farm on the 4th..unless it is a demotion or you are trying to screw over the captain
I have no idea what you are trying to say here?

They are third liners, because their stats dictate they are very much 3rd liners. How does playing them on the third line stop the kids on the 4th?

I'm so confused.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
I’d play him with Tyson Foerster. He’s a beast in the d-zone and along the boards. He can do a lot of the dirty work, and has a good enough IQ to play with MM. He also can finish.

Not sold on Brink yet. Really needs to improve his initial quickness/burst.
agree.....Brink needs to get a step quicker 👍

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Using "Briere got a first for Walker" as a positive is not only bad faith arguing, it means if you use that as a positive you have to use things like "took on bad contracts to that hinder the cap past 1 year" as negatives.
Sorry, but the entire board was all about "weaponizing cap space." He's done that multiple times now, and getting good returns in the process - which is what everybody was clamoring for him to do.

Sounds like the bad faith is in flip flopping, not in the execution.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I just don't think the org is as incompetent as a lot of people on here believe. They've made plenty of mistakes and Torts coaching this team is one of them, but when examining the big picture and how things fit together, I see it.
What do you think the people you are referring to would rate the organizations competency on a scale of 1-10?

What would you rate it?

What are some examples of less competent franchises between 2014-2024?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's literally managed to sign a player that very few people thought would ever play in the NHL. Two of them infact, and they will be here this season.

He acquired another first for Walker, a player he targetted in that Provorov trade. Even though we totally aren't rebuilding, and he's definitely going all in during a playoff run, at least that's what we all keep getting told.

The "fourth liners" we sign, are actually capable 3rd liners now, and not players like Nicky fists. Which marks a considerable change from literally every other GM we've had. We have the youngest team in the NHL right now, that missed the playoffs by a single game.

He's been acquiring picks through asset management. I literally don't understand how people can't see that we have made significant changes to the way we operate, even if those changes aren't radical enough for the minority on this board.

We are entering the most important draft in recent flyers history. This is a big moment for Briere. He could come out the other end of this draft with some significant pieces that are going to be the cornerstone of the franchise, or he could bomb it. Either way, I have significantly more faith in him than I did Fletcher or Holmgren, maybe even Hextall.

Just because this team uses them as 3rd liners doesn't mean they are. They just think you need 2 or more 4th lines.

Every time you do one of these hilariously smug and unwarranted victory laps it explodes in your face. Maybe when it happens again, you'll learn.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Sorry, but the entire board was all about "weaponizing cap space." He's done that multiple times now, and getting good returns in the process - which is what everybody was clamoring for him to do.

Sounds like the bad faith is in flip flopping, not in the execution.
You can weaponize cap space and also get poor value for your excess cap space at the same time, both things can be true.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Just because this team uses them as 3rd liners doesn't mean they are. They just think you need 2 or more 4th lines.

Every time you do one of these hilariously smug and unwarranted victory laps it explodes in your face. Maybe when it happens again, you'll learn.

I get the angst toward the negativity. I mean, yeah it’s kinda old for some reason being married to a trash heap org.

I do not get saying that a draft in which they pick 12th, and thirty third is some cornerstone draft.

If he finds a way to move up, and not sign TK to some stupid deal… that’s the win in my books. The odds of Demidov are low but one can dream.

Last edited:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Using "Briere got a first for Walker" as a positive is not only bad faith arguing, it means if you use that as a positive you have to use things like "took on bad contracts to that hinder the cap past 1 year" as negatives.
Would you rather have a 1st and Ryan Jo or pick 55 or something in 2024 or 2025?

i’ll take the 1 and RyanJo every damn day.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Would you rather have a 1st and Ryan Jo or pick 55 or something in 2024 or 2025?

That's a false dichotomy though, and you're ignoring the part of the equation where Johansen's $4MM would also be used to acquire more assets. Would you rather have #28-32 or mid-late 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th? It's less of a slam dunk that it appears just because "1st rounder." Even if they buy out Johansen, he's on the cap in 2025-26, with Hilferty already doing jazz hands about free agency.

Jake Walman, who has been useful recently and has rehab value, was traded at $3.4MM x 2 years for pick #53 the week of the draft. Hell, I remember the Flyers asked for a 1st last fall to take on Joseph, a solid player, from Ottawa at $2.95MM x 3 years. Taking on absolutely useless cap dumps you don't want to play will cost. The Walker trade was......fine. It's nowhere near as bad as the bath they took on Petersen at 2 x$5MM for an AHLer.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

A team literally traded a 2nd today to get rid of a contract. Briere basically packaged a 2nd and Walker together for a late first.

Is this a positive? Yes. Is it the steal some people are making it out to be? Only if you think Briere getting the equivalent of a 2nd round pick for trading Walker some kind of Uber victory we should be heaping praise on him for.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
A team literally traded a 2nd today to get rid of a contract. Briere basically packaged a 2nd and Walker together for a late first.

Is this a positive? Yes. Is it the steal some people are making it out to be? Only if you think Briere getting the equivalent of a 2nd round pick for trading Walker some kind of Uber victory we should be heaping praise on him for.
Now who's arguing in bad faith. No one has said its an "Uber victory". It was just a good move. Something we haven't seen around these parts in a long time.

I don't understand why everything has to be a major win or major loss here.

Reactions: Rebels57

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
Now who's arguing in bad faith. No one has said its an "Uber victory". It was just a good move. Something we haven't seen around these parts in a long time.

I don't understand why everything has to be a major win or major loss here.
I agree with a lot you have been saying about how harsh this board is on pretty much everything upper management does.

But the reason everything has to be a major win or major loss here, is the fact we haven’t had a competitive team in over a decade. They have not earned the leeway to not be heavily scrutinized.

Give us a good stretch of deep playoff runs and exciting hockey and things will change in that regard. Of course there will be people who just like to complain, but the majority will change their tune. We all want the same thing, some people are just tired of the same old same old every year. Hopefully this draft/ offseason is full of moves to make us competitive going forward.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
So just to clarify, Briere so far has

Pros
1. Handled the Hart situation
2. Handled the Cutter situation reasonably well all else considering
3. Managed to bring Fedotov out of Russia when it looked dead
4. Managed to bring Michov over 2 years early and against all odds.
5. Pulled off a great Provorov trade
6. Acquired another first rounder for Walker.
7. Signed and re-upped Phoeling for nothing.
8. Signed Tippet to a reasonable extension
9. Acquired Rizzo for nothing
10. Signed Hathaway
11. Acquired a few picks through retention.

Cons
1. Traded a 4th for Johnson
2. Hasn't traded Laughton yet

I'm starting to really like our sneaky little bastard. Can't wait till he trades Farabee for Reaves and makes me hate him.
It's fine you want to believe and that you would like to convince others to try, but this isn't going to help make anyone feel better about the management of the team. He didn't do anything remarkable to "handle" the Hart situation. He appears to have done some good behind the scenes work to get Fedotov out, but it's unclear if Ivan is even an NHLer, let alone worth 3+ per. He may have done some good work to get Michkov over, but I suspect that was going to happen regardless. The Provorov trade was fine. The Walker trade was fine. Poehling is fine. Tippet's extension is maybe fine? Rizzo is a lottery ticket. Hathaway? Picks acquired via cap space is fine.

What's going to get people here on board with this management isn't any kind of a hard sell from the organization, the media, or other fans, but rather when the process starts looking right. If they come out of the draft having focused on BPA over fit, high ceiling over high floor, speed/skill/IQ over grit/size/safe, then people might start to be a little more optimistic around here.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
I really hate to pile on, but that really is a depressingly padded list of pros. When saying no comment about Hart and not f***ing up the Michkov pick is the bar you set, anything can be seen as positive. Signing low end 3rd liners and 4th liners? Pro. Signing a mediocre 2nd liner for 8 years? Pro.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I have no idea what you are trying to say here?

They are third liners, because their stats dictate they are very much 3rd liners.
These are all 4th line stats

ESP/60
Cates 1.32
Poehling 1.28
Hathaway 0.94

Bu-bu-but they're so good defensively that it makes up for anemic offense! Nope. The only forwards with a worse ES GF% than that trio were Nic D and Cam A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad