Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I mean it's certainly possible yager ends up better. But mcgroarty can play now which is better for pittsburgh.
I get that but player ratings from different draft years are not valid comparisons unless they are matched against the same D+ number. Pretty simple really. Not disputing that the deal made sense for the Pens. Obviously it did.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
When mcgroarty is truly ready to contribute malkin and Crosby will have been long gone.
Exactly. Not totally sure what everyone is thinking. He'll have almost no impact this year and very little next year, and assuming Malkin and Crosby are still there, they will also be 38 and 39 next year. I don't really understand how they say this is what Pittsburgh needs now. They need someone that is NHL ready and can contribute right now imo.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think he can contribute now

He will do things that make him effective especially playing with high end players. He isn't the fastest guy or most skilled guy but he will go to the dirty areas and do the heavy lifting for those really skilled guys.

Whether he clicks with a Crosby or Malkin will be key for the Penguins but If he plays the way he did at the World Juniors, I think you just put him on the wing and he is guy that will easily score 20 and get 50 points next year, if not more.

Just because I hate the guy now because he wanted out doesn't mean I can't be realistic about what he potentially could do in Pittsburgh. Its a good deal for them getting a guy ready now and good deal for us getting a guy who could be jumping into a center role in 3 years.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
It’s unfortunate these new age prospects seem to have learned the Pierre-Luc Dubois playbook and can just pull the “ick” card and ask to leave with no explanation given… Just feels very floofy and lacks integrity.
Stop drafting players who have that option.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Where was McGroarty after his D+1?

That would be a better indication of who is a better prospect

It doesn't matter who's the best prospect in their D+1 season or in 5 years, what matters is who's the best today. This is why you should read all the posts to follow the conversation instead of jumping in the middle.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It doesn't matter who's the best prospect in their D+1 season or in 5 years, what matters is who's the best today. This is why you should read all the posts to follow the conversation instead of jumping in the middle.
Of course it matters

If the question is "who is more NHL ready", it's obviously Rutger

But that doesn't make him the better prospect. The rate at which they're improving helps to predict their ceilings

I'm pretty sure I have almost a post per page.in this thread (except where it got de-railed by the '"Dubas sucks" discussion). If YOU were following along, you'd have read them

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I think he can contribute now

He will do things that make him effective especially playing with high end players. He isn't the fastest guy or most skilled guy but he will go to the dirty areas and do the heavy lifting for those really skilled guys.

Whether he clicks with a Crosby or Malkin will be key for the Penguins but If he plays the way he did at the World Juniors, I think you just put him on the wing and he is guy that will easily score 20 and get 50 points next year, if not more.

Just because I hate the guy now because he wanted out doesn't mean I can't be realistic about what he potentially could do in Pittsburgh. Its a good deal for them getting a guy ready now and good deal for us getting a guy who could be jumping into a center role in 3 years.
You think he played good at the wjc. He played terrible. He isn't scoring 20g 50 points this year because he won't sniff the top 6

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Of course it matters

If the question is "who is more NHL ready", it's obviously Rutger

But that doesn't make him the better prospect. The rate at which they're improving helps to predict their ceilings

I'm pretty sure I have almost a post per page.in this thread (except where it got de-railed by the '"Dubas sucks" discussion). If YOU were following along, you'd have read them

The question was why the Pens gave up on Yager

Reactions: domaug

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
It’s unfortunate these new age prospects seem to have learned the Pierre-Luc Dubois playbook and can just pull the “ick” card and ask to leave with no explanation given… Just feels very floofy and lacks integrity.
just wondering what difference does it make if he gives an explanation? how is that any better for the team?

e: It should also be pointed out that he is not asking to leave, because he never joined the organization in the first place. PLD signed a contract and then effectively refused to continue rendering his services. McGroarty had no such agreement and thus had no obligation whatsoever to the Winnipeg Jets.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
just wondering what difference does it make if he gives an explanation? how is that any better for the team?

e: It should also be pointed out that he is not asking to leave, because he never joined the organization in the first place. PLD signed a contract and then effectively refused to continue rendering his services. McGroarty had no such agreement and thus had no obligation whatsoever to the Winnipeg Jets.

For me, I just want to see a level of accountability that you can punt on an organization and communicate in a mature, rational and responsible way why you chose to do so. Maybe it’s a learning opportunity for the organization being spurned.

And failing that, at least we get to see in the public record what an unserious floof the person asking to be moved actually is.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
For me, I just want to see a level of accountability that you can punt on an organization and communicate in a mature, rational and responsible way why you chose to do so. Maybe it’s a learning opportunity for the organization being spurned.

And failing that, at least we get to see in the public record what an unserious floof the person asking to be moved actually is.
You're starting with a false premise, that "he asked to be moved" a la PLD or Laine. He simply informed the team that he wouldn't be signing with them in the first place.

If someone offered you a job and you declined that offer, would you feel obligated to communicate to them the exact reason why you wouldn't be taking the job? You might do it anyway, but I doubt you would feel you owed them that answer, especially if you sensed that publicly stating your reason(s) for turning them down might have professional repercussions for you.

Also, Rutger McGroarty may be a lot of things, but I think we can safely say "unserious" is not one of them.

-First player from Nebraska to be drafted in the 1st round
-Represented his country internationally
-Captained a team to a WJC Gold Medal

All-American, All-Big 10, Academic All-Big 10... you'll have a difficult time convincing me or anyone else that these are the accomplishments of an "unserious" person.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Being deep into camp now, probably time for our first update on these two players, who will be linked forever more..

From everything I’ve been hearing, talking to Winnipeg guys this week, the Jets have been more than pleased with how Yager has performed, and although he’ll likely be sent back to the WHL this season, it sure does look like Yager has a nice future ahead of himself in Winnipeg. In fact, if their situation and depth were a little different, they’d have no problem keeping Brayden Yager. He’s played pretty well with a goal and assist in a couple of games, but it’s his responsible two way game, and his work ethic that impresses the Jets even more. Add in the fact he wants to play in Winnipeg, they can’t be more happier with the deal.

As for McGroarty, he hasn’t been horrible or anything, but he clearly needs some time to adjust to playing pro hockey. He’s shown a couple of flashes but people obviously were led to believe they’d see more from him at this stage.

It also sounds like the Pens may have already made their decision to send him down and let him find his game in the AHL.

In no way is this a negative on McGroarty as a prospect. More so on the people who listened more to the media than actual scouts and evaluators, who’ve been pretty consistent over the last year, that McGroarty is gonna likely need some time in the AHL.

That appears where he’s headed unless something changes for the Pens over the next week or so. What they don’t want to do, is force him at this point.

Sometimes Managers aren’t on the same page as coaches with young players. Hopefully Dubas doesn’t try to make this one of those battles. If Sullivan thinks he needs more time, he likely needs more time. Sometimes that’s only 10-20 games and a young player’s confidence grows enough, and he finds a way to be more defensively responsible. Especially if he was pushing things to impress people. Sometimes just relaxing and finding your game, is all that’s needed.

One thing’s for certain and maybe this situation will help some of those fans realize it. Success in the NCAA and/or Major Juniors, does not mean a player is NHL ready, or automatically better than other prospects. Every situation is it’s own unique set of circumstance. Especially with offensively gifted players who generate their offense in secondary ways. Meaning not one on one, creating their own space and shot. Those type of players will generally transfer straight into the league. That’s not McGroarty and never has been.

It’s safe to say Yager will have another dominant Junior year and represent Team Canada come World Juniors. Then we’ll see where he’s at next year at this time, or even late this season

As for McGroarty, keeping him in the NHL might do more harm then good. If they do, we’ll just have to follow and see how it goes.

Sounds like they’re gonna be smart and send him down though. I’ll guess he settles things down by Xmas time and his game starts to grow from there.. Then it’ll just be a matter of time before he gets his NHL chance. If they’re smart they’ll keep him down there and let his game evolve into being a really good 200’ player. That way when they do bring him up, it’ll be for good.

Reactions: majormajor

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
One thing’s for certain and maybe this situation will help some of those fans realize it. Success in the NCAA and/or Major Juniors, does not mean a player is NHL ready, or automatically better than other prospects. Every situation is it’s own unique set of circumstance. Especially with offensively gifted players who generate their offense in secondary ways. Meaning not one on one, creating their own space and shot. Those type of players will generally transfer straight into the league. That’s not McGroarty and never has been.
Gosh, if only someone, somewhere had told him that he may not be NHL ready, and that he shouldn't be extorting franchises without having proven anything. He burned a lot of bridges, tanked his reputation, and is going to end up in the minors anyway. I hope Vibes McGroarty happy.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Gosh, if only someone, somewhere had told him that he may not be NHL ready, and that he shouldn't be extorting franchises without having proven anything. He burned a lot of bridges, tanked his reputation, and is going to end up in the minors anyway. I hope Vibes McGroarty happy.
Didn’t know much about this guy but seeing him play and I’m actually shocked how weak a player he is. This guy is no where near so good as the player the Jets got. Not really getting this whole thing. It’s like the Jets stole a good player for a guy who isn’t going to be in the league. Very strange imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad