Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
But the drama should be factored in. Which should reflect better for our return at least a little.
Imo it does a little. Because imo McGroarty is a better prospect. Winnipeg doesn't make that trade if they don't have the issue with McGroarty. That problem isn't happening for Pittsburgh, so you win that trade. Doesn't matter that Winnipeg isn't losing either.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Good trade for both teams here.

Short term Pens get the more NHL ready prospect with attributes that are more an area of need and perhaps more valuable. The Jets get a somewhat local prospect with more work to do/risk but has slightly more upside. The gap is small both are good top6 bets

McGroarty has a heavy body that makes him desirable for being able to get to the inside. Is excellent on deflections and bumper area shooting and is a quality playmaker. His main areas of concern are skating. First few steps and even top end skating are still a little bit of a concern for his upside and being able to drive play. He's pretty much exclusively a winger now. If he can gel with top end players it wont matter much and he will score. His frame should accommodate explosive skating improvement

Yager on the other hand still has a fair amount of risk. His speed and shot are already legit NHLer top6. He's also a very committed 2 way player and has the tracking ability to back it up in the NHL. The issues are in playmaking and manipulation where he plays in straight lines and gets tunnel vision. At the NHL level he may have issues creating and being able to take advantage of opportunities off the cycle. Combining his size with those issues may make him a middle six scorer at RW vs a 2 way top6 C. This risk is why McGroarty is seen pretty universally as the better prospect. If Yager can show more deception in his game and get stronger look out.

On the entitlement thing: Nobody on the Pens will care abut this if Rutger is a good player and teammate. The agents and advisors/parents of these kids are the one's advocating these flex moves and it's really just a willingness to go along with it and immaturity which is tough to pile onto a young kid when they just want the best situation for their lives and careers. I don't like seeing it but that's what the interview process is for. Good for Chevy to reset and still have a top end prospect

Jets fans should be happy to get an outstanding prospect back who will in all likelihood be a Jet for long long time. Pens fans should be happy for the better immediate prospect who should be able to impact their roster quicker

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Sounds like cry baby Cutter Gauthier. Wanted a guaranteed spot when you havent proven shit ? Pfft. If you're so damn good, EARN IT

Has there been even one shred of evidence that this is the case?

I've asked several times and nobody has provided any.

Ok, but at 23 development camp he sure let on that he was thrilled to be a future Jet and just told Chevy a couple of months ago “it didn’t feelright”. He then recommits to Michigan and now backs out of that to sign with Pitt. I’m not saying he is of poor character but certainly raises questions from my perspective.

Were there any indications prior to this offseason that he was unhappy with the Jets?

Or is the most likely scenario - that he was pissed he didn't get signed by the Jets immediately following his 2nd season at Michigan - what soured him on the organization?

Nazar was selected one spot ahead of him, had worse stats and was signed by Chicago. Brindley was a 2nd round pick with similar stats that was signed by Columbus. Luke Hughes was his teammate last season and went straight to NJ after his 2nd year with Michigan.

Not really a ridiculous expectation on his part after the season he just had for the Wolverines. Missing out on burning an ELC year this past season plus the prospect of spending next season in the AHL for a team that seemingly doesn't believe in him as much as he thought they did had to not only be frustrating, but potentially cost him a lot of money on top of it.

As a Jets fan, I'm glad to see Rutger gone. I've been completely turned off by the entitlement that players coming out of the USNDT - I'm glad to see a Canadian coming back, and a crafty C at that.

Don't wish anything bad on Rutger, but I can see him being a problem in a dressing room before he ever even has played a Pro game.

It's not specifically a USNDT thing. It's just a fact that many high picks that spend 2 seasons in the NCAA have the expectation of getting signed by their NHL club after their collegiate season ends if they've performed well since being drafted. That's just the landscape of the league now. It just happens that most top collegiate players that are high draft picks have gone through the USNDT.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens get a winger who has a skill set they simply don't have in big supply. He will compete for a roster spot while Yager was probably 2 years away as he needs to mature and gain size and strength. Really like Yager and the time frame was fine for when the Pens will begin the transition to a rebuild.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You went from McGroaty is just as good as Yager to McGroaty is clearly better than Yager in 4 pages.

Post in thread '[PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager' Confirmed Trade: - [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

"Just as good" doesn't mean "equal". They're both similarly tiered prospects while McGroarty is ranked a bit higher.

The initial post was "they're adding another great prospect to their system". The deal just turned out to be their great prospect for another team's great prospect.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Reactions: Voight

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ok, but at 23 development camp he sure let on that he was thrilled to be a future Jet and just told Chevy a couple of months ago “it didn’t feelright”. He then recommits to Michigan and now backs out of that to sign with Pitt. I’m not saying he is of poor character but certainly raises questions from my perspective.

It doesn’t sound like he changed his mind until the organization/chevy changed their minds on a developmental path for him b/c they didn’t want to burn a year of his ELC. If you’re expecting to play in the NHL and maybe those discussions were had prior to signing then when it’s time to sign you’re told you’re gonna go to the AHL, it might cause a bit of riff.

I don’t think any party is in the wrong. Chevy and the jets reassessed the situation and wanted a new development path. Rutger feels ready and wants to play in the NHL. Didn’t work out

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
"Just as good" doesn't mean "equal". They're both similarly tiered prospects while McGroarty is ranked a bit higher.

The initial post was "they're adding another great prospect to their system". The deal just turned out to be their great prospect for another team's great prospect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240822_180816_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240822_180816_Chrome.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Canadian teams shouldn't draft NCAA Americans.

Seems rare that they play for the teams that draft them.

Matthew Knies, Zach Hyman, Tyler Bozak all say hi!

Montreal has never had issues with NTDP or NCAA players either.

Ottawa’s core is basically made up of NCAA guys.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

He's right you did exactly that but that's common for you to flip flop.

Also you need to stop calling Rutger a center he isn't he's a winger.

Reactions: Voight

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's right you did exactly that but that's common for you to flip flop.

Also you need to stop calling Rutger a center he isn't he's a winger.

I literally never called McGroarty a center.

I didn't flip flop on anything here. My initial comment was excitement that they were adding another great prospect in McGroarty, and me saying "he's just as good as Yager" was meant as "he's another good prospect just like Yager".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad