Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yea, but if Dubas wanted him now that's the price. Dubas could have dicked around, asking for a sweetener, and then Winnipeg trades McGoarty somewhere else. Dubas really wanted the prospect so he paid up. I am not a Dubas fan, but there is nothing wrong with this trade.
These players are on a similar plain though. I wouldn't exactly have been crying myself to sleep if it didn't happen.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Yeah he's known as a terrific locker room leader, him refusing to sign with the Jets doesn't say anything about his leadership traits.
Ok, but at 23 development camp he sure let on that he was thrilled to be a future Jet and just told Chevy a couple of months ago “it didn’t feelright”. He then recommits to Michigan and now backs out of that to sign with Pitt. I’m not saying he is of poor character but certainly raises questions from my perspective.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Honestly I think this doesn't matter unless there is a huge difference in talent between them. If Yager ends up a 1C while McGroarty ends up a 2RW, I don't think anyone is going to bring up this trade as "hurting the rebuild".

If both end up good players, I think it's more likely that most people just forget that Yager was drafted by Pittsburgh and McGroaty was drafted by Winnipeg.
Agreed that at the end of they day if both players do well it's unlikely to be a significant issue. With that said - if Yager ends up a 1st line center and McG ends up as a decent 3rd liner, there will be plenty of folks in the press who would use 20/20 hindsight to lambast Dubas.

The potential additional risk to the GM in a "prospect for prospect swap" deal might mostly be made up in my head, but I always felt like it is a real thing and reduces the likelihood of this type of deal.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s a ‘what can you do for me sooner’ type trade from Pittsburgh’s perspective.

Exactly what McGroarty was worth, value wise. A like prospect, in regards to both players are gonna play in the NHL. We just don’t know to what extent, and what role ultimately.

McGroarty is closer to the league today, but only because he’s more physically ready, and can likely get away with playing down the depth chart, while still developing. Just not sure he’ll ever work his way up that depth chart.

If I had to choose one over the other, I’d probably take Yager by a nose, because he’s proven he can drive a line in major junior hockey, before he was an over-age player, and ultimately he has the higher ceiling. He’s just gonna need more time to become physically ready vs men though. Where McGroarty will likely help Pittsburgh much sooner than Yager was going to..

Likely why Dubas made the deal.

Unfortunately in 5 years from today, there’s every chance Yager is the player generating more scoring chances in the NHL.

Even though I like Yager more, it’s a good trade for Pittsburgh, as there’s a much better chance McGroarty can help them during the Crosby years.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Hasn't McGroarty worn the C on multiple teams?
He is very charismatic, I highly doubt he'll cause any issues in the locker room itself and infact will probably step up as a locker room leader given time, but just keep in mind there is a level of entitlement attached with him, could see him playing hardball on contracts for example down the road, but he should be a good player for Pittsburgh overall

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
Another example of an American who doesn't want to play for the team that drafted them.
Canadian players have done it too. Lindros ring a bell ? Pampered little babies, I don't care where they're from. Look at who is in the circle of Gauthier and McGroarty and you'll see a pattern

Reactions: roccerfeller

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
This trade makes no sense for the Pens. He should’ve been signed before the trade ever happened.

Pens absolutely have a roster spot for him is he signs right now though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He is very charismatic, I highly doubt he'll cause any issues in the locker room itself and infact will probably step up as a locker room leader given time, but just keep in mind there is a level of entitlement attached with him, could see him playing hardball on contracts for example down the road, but he should be a good player for Pittsburgh overall

I'd say looking after yourself is probably a good quality to have in a pro athlete. Sign a team friendly deal without trade protection and watch them trade your ass without a second's thought.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ok, but at 23 development camp he sure let on that he was thrilled to be a future Jet and just told Chevy a couple of months ago “it didn’t feelright”. He then recommits to Michigan and now backs out of that to sign with Pitt. I’m not saying he is of poor character but certainly raises questions from my perspective.
Exactly! There has to at minimum be questions about his character. There is however no question about Yagers.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Physically McGroarty is 2 years ahead and ready to play now. That's what is attractive to the Pens.

McGroarty being ready now shouldn’t mean a damm thing. This version of Crosby-Malkin aren’t leading the Pens anywhere

Just desperately fighting for a worse draft pick without any hope of competing in the near future. Congratz

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just switching seats on a couple sinking ships. Pretty reasonable outcome though, I prefer Yager's upside a little more but it makes sense the Pens want a more immediate impact.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It’s a ‘what can you do for me sooner’ type trade from Pittsburgh’s perspective.

Exactly what McGroarty was worth, value wise. A like prospect, in regards to both players are gonna play in the NHL. We just don’t know to what extent, and what role ultimately.

McGroarty is closer to the league today, but only because he’s more physically ready, and can likely get away with playing down the depth chart, while still developing. Just not sure he’ll ever work his way up that depth chart.

If I had to choose one over the other, I’d probably take Yager by a nose, because he’s proven he can drive a line in major junior hockey, before he was an over-age player, and ultimately he has the higher ceiling. He’s just gonna need more time to become physically ready vs men though. Where McGroarty will likely help Pittsburgh much sooner than Yager was going to..

Likely why Dubas made the deal.

Unfortunately in 5 years from today, there’s every chance Yager is the player generating more scoring chances in the NHL.

Even though I like Yager more, it’s a good trade for Pittsburgh, as there’s a much better chance McGroarty can help them during the Crosby years.
I'm not trying to diminish Yager as a prospect, he could very well develop into a 1C if down the line, but I would push back a little on the bolded. He played on a line with Jagger Firkus, the WHL's leading scorer this year. I viewed him as more of the play driver on that line when I watched some games. With Firkus and Calvert graduating, Yager will certainly be relied upon more this year though.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
McGroarty being ready now shouldn’t mean a damm thing. This version of Crosby-Malkin aren’t leading the Pens anywhere

Just desperately fighting for a worse draft pick without any hope of competing in the near future. Congratz
Don't trade for the better player, or else you might not be as bad.

The Mind-Killed REBUIIIILDER's guide to team building.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I like this for Winnipeg. I'm surprised they were able to get full value for a player that wanted out, but that's just being a good GM. At the end of the day, if there were multiple teams making offers, then they can't really lowball, because one team (Pittsburgh in this case) will offer full value if they feel they really like the player.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
McGroaty is a very good prospect with 2 years left on his rights, don't see how the Jets position was that precarious.
And Chevy just might be the most patient GM in the league. He also very likely knew that Rutger didn't want to go back to school, he wanted to play in the NHL now. No way that kid would ever wait him out to UFA status in August 2026.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad