Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's a fair deal in a bubble but the lack of leverage for Winnipeg makes this a poor showing for Dubas
That's how I see it. The Jets were somewhat in a precarious position, I'm not suggesting the Pens should've gouged them exactly, but they should have gotten a sweetener in the deal.

Reactions: StIvany4Norris

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Curious how this trade kills the Pens long term?
It doesn't. I was being dramatic. That being said, you'd hope your GM to get a steal sometimes. With Dubas I'm not sure that has ever happened, in negotiation or otherwise.

Giving up your top prospect for a guy who has asked out straight up is just not good business. You're supposed to use that request as leverage.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
That's how I see it. The Jets were somewhat in a precarious position, I'm not suggesting the Pens should've gouged them exactly, but they should have gotten a sweetener in the deal.

McGroaty is a very good prospect with 2 years left on his rights, don't see how the Jets position was that precarious.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Good ol' Dubie the Dude, first screwing Leafs salary structure for a decade to come, to killing Pens in the long-term while missing out the playoffs. 👍
1724357203030.png

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
McGroaty is a very good prospect with 2 years left on his rights, don't see how the Jets position was that precarious.
I do, our guy was signed, yours wasn't. Doesn't sound like he was gonna sign either.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We had leverage and should have garnered a sweetener also.

Yea, but if Dubas wanted him now that's the price. Dubas could have dicked around, asking for a sweetener, and then Winnipeg trades McGoarty somewhere else. Dubas really wanted the prospect so he paid up. I am not a Dubas fan, but there is nothing wrong with this trade.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
If I had the choice between the two, I would take McGroarty (aside from the drama). So I understand Pittsburgh not trying to get more. You are likely getting the better prospect because of the circumstances. That's enough.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Good job by the Jets to get a prospect like Yager under these circumstances.

Both are good prospects, McGroarty plays sooner which is good for Pittsburgh.

Have to see how they pan out for each team but seems like a fair move for both.
My $.02 - trade makes perfect sense from a theoretical perspective.

From a practical perspective - seems like significantly more downside risk for Dubas vs. Chevy. If RG ends up better, Chevy still has an out that RG wasn't going to sign in Winnepeg, so he got the best deal he could. If BY ends up the better player, Dubas looks even worse he theoretically had more leverage in the deal, traded his organization's best prospect, and hurt the rebuild of team.

Just one of those times that "prospect for prospect" deals has significant risk because everyone has draft picks that don't work out, but it looks worse IMO when you drafted a guy and then lose a trade for another prospect. Thinking of a Wade Redden/Bryan Berard type of situation.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And he still had 2 years left on his rights. and was a top 50 prospect in the league. Teams would have been interested in him.
And malcontents like that typically don't garner the same attention as players who aren't. Sounds like they got rid of a headache for a kid like Yager who by all accounts is a 1st class individual.

The last comparable trade to this was Cutter Gauthier going from Philly to Anaheim, which cost Anaheim Drysdale and a 2nd.

The Jets adding on top of McGroaty isn't a reasonable suggestion here.
Sure it is, the kid is a malcontent and didn't want to sign there. That should be worth something.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My $.02 - trade makes perfect sense from a theoretical perspective.

From a practical perspective - seems like significantly more downside risk for Dubas vs. Chevy. If RG ends up better, Chevy still has an out that RG wasn't going to sign in Winnepeg, so he got the best deal he could. If BY ends up the better player, Dubas looks even worse he theoretically had more leverage in the deal, traded his organization's best prospect, and hurt the rebuild of team.

Just one of those times that "prospect for prospect" deals has significant risk because everyone has draft picks that don't work out, but it looks worse IMO when you drafted a guy and then lose a trade for another prospect. Thinking of a Wade Redden/Bryan Berard type of situation.

Honestly I think this doesn't matter unless there is a huge difference in talent between them. If Yager ends up a 1C while McGroarty ends up a 2RW, I don't think anyone is going to bring up this trade as "hurting the rebuild".

If both end up good players, I think it's more likely that most people just forget that Yager was drafted by Pittsburgh and McGroaty was drafted by Winnipeg.

Sure it is, the kid is a malcontent and didn't want to sign there. That should be worth something.

Gauthier was a malcontent with Philly that didn't want to sign there, but he still brought back Drysdale and a 2nd.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If I had the choice between the two, I would take McGroarty (aside from the drama). So I understand Pittsburgh not trying to get more. You are likely getting the better prospect because of the circumstances. That's enough.
But the drama should be factored in. Which should reflect better for our return at least a little.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
And malcontents like that typically don't garner the same attention as players who aren't. Sounds like they got rid of a headache for a kid like Yager who by all accounts is a 1st class individual.

If a player is good then teams are willing to overlook way more than just not wanting to sign somewhere.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If a player is good then teams are willing to overlook way more than just not wanting to sign somewhere.
McGroaty is likely the better player, I don't dislike the trade per se, I just think we could have gotten a mid rounder in addition.

The "better return" here is getting the higher regarded prospect. Without McGroarty asking for a trade, the Penguins would be adding on top of Yager to get McGroarty.
Fair point I guess.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
As a Jets fan, I'm glad to see Rutger gone. I've been completely turned off by the entitlement that players coming out of the USNDT - I'm glad to see a Canadian coming back, and a crafty C at that.

Don't wish anything bad on Rutger, but I can see him being a problem in a dressing room before he ever even has played a Pro game.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
As a Jets fan, I'm glad to see Rutger gone. I've been completely turned off by the entitlement that players coming out of the USNDT - I'm glad to see a Canadian coming back, and a crafty C at that.

Don't wish anything bad on Rutger, but I can see him being a problem in a dressing room before he ever even has played a Pro game.

Hasn't McGroarty worn the C on multiple teams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad