Confirmed Trade: [PIT/STL] Kevin Hayes and 2025 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Feels like a full blown rebuild move. Next year we’ll be selling cap space for draft picks.

Maybe the Pens believe they can revitalize Hayes. He was good on the Rangers but that was eons ago.

It depends on whose place he takes.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Who is actively rebuilding right now (whether they admit it or not) - Flames, Sharks, Blackhawks, Flyers?

Ducks, Utah, Blue Jackets, Sabres, Red Wings, and Senators are all trying to make the playoffs/improve towards making the playoffs soon. The Capitals, Islanders, and Blues are doing... something, I'm not quite sure what though.

The next few drafts will be really strong. Penguins would do well to just collect old guys and kinda suck, they could score McKenna in 2026 with their lottery luck.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Got a middling depth C with a 2nd attatched for nothing. It’s a no brainer for a team who needs to restock the cupboard, not sure why Stl does this given where they are.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Got a middling depth C with a 2nd attatched for nothing. It’s a no brainer for a team who needs to restock the cupboard, not sure why Stl does this given where they are.
Where exactly is STL right now? I don't really understand where they're at and what their game plan is.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
The contrary rather. This trade tells you everything you need to know about how good Hayes is. That even the Blues, given where they are, will pay someone a 2nd to take them off their hands. This guy sucks ass.

Reactions: Amorgus

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Don't really like it much for either team.
It's funny, this is I believe 3rd time he has been traded and signed once as a massive UFA and each team that acquired him had huge buyers remorse. The guy is not a good player. I hate that my team paid such a price to get rid of him, but at least we don't have to watch him play anymore.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

When is a 2nd rounder next year going to have an impact for the Blues? 2029? 2031?

They only just missed the playoffs and have some high end prospects close. They have plenty of holes, but they're not going to bottom out for the entire duration of Robert Thomas's contract.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas is picking up picks and knows the farm system while getting better, is not there yet. A couple drafts and the rebuild starts in earnest.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The Pens got a free 2nd. I don't see any downside to this. I have yet to read an argument in this topic that makes a free 2nd round pick sound like a bad move. I've seen the arguments, and they're f***ing stupid.

The Pens aren't winning the cup next season. So a free pick is going to help rebuild the prospect depth.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm so confused. In this center-starved market, the Blues had to pay to unload a very capable middle-6 Center? He doesn't even have that whole horrendous contract anymore. He's far more reasonably priced.

This feels like a huge win for the Penguin. They get a good player and a good pick...for...nothing but a little cap space? That's solid.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
So in this scenario the head coach is puppeteering the President of Hockey Operations?
The head coach personally negotiated his own extension straight with the owner. Owners also deferred to Mike Sullivan for how he wants the team run including the affiliate and the style he wants to employ.

Dubas likely, and it's clear really, took the role because he wants that title so he can get that title elsewhere later on. Normal in any employment. I don't think he has zero power but Sullivan is definitely running the player personnel show. David Quinn is most definitely a Sullivan hire as well.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Where exactly is STL right now? I don't really understand where they're at and what their game plan is.
Yea, I don't know. They don't seem to really be trying to compete very hard but their young core is all locked up to big deals already. I'd assume they want to compete ASAP but I don't see how yet?

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Yea, I don't know. They don't seem to really be trying to compete very hard but their young core is all locked up to big deals already. I'd assume they want to compete ASAP but I don't see how yet?
Yeah, it's almost like they're treading water while they wait for some of their younger prospects to develop and make the jump to the NHL...? I wouldn't be surprised if they ship some guys out at the deadline. 2025 is a strong draft.

Buchnevich's contract expires after this year. I don't think they're gonna keep all of Faulk/Krug/Leddy through the duration of their contracts. There's some interesting possibilities there besides those guys as well, they could get some solid picks in the next couple drafts if they choose to go that route.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I'm so confused. In this center-starved market, the Blues had to pay to unload a very capable middle-6 Center? He doesn't even have that whole horrendous contract anymore. He's far more reasonably priced.

This feels like a huge win for the Penguin. They get a good player and a good pick...for...nothing but a little cap space? That's solid.
Hayes is a weird player.. his defensive metrics are abysmal the last few years except for last year, where all of a sudden he looks more like the Kevin Hayes of yesteryear. If the Pens get that player - then big win both for today and tomorrow.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hayes is a weird player.. his defensive metrics are abysmal the last few years except for last year, where all of a sudden he looks more like the Kevin Hayes of yesteryear. If the Pens get that player - then big win both for today and tomorrow.

I feel like Hayes has always been a bit of a weird player. Where the metrics don't necessarily describe him all that accurately. He plays such a strange game...it's tough to even define. He's not a real shutdown player, and doesn't play with a ton of pace, but positionally...he's very solid. He's also not really a "playmaker" but he distributes the puck alright. Not really a "goal scorer" but he scores alright. He's just a sort of weird...puck carrier.

Had some down years where his effort level was pretty bogus. But overall, i've never really thought of his as a poor defensive player. He clearly understands how to play responsible defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad