Pinto opens up over his suspension

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
“I just did my best with the hand I got dealt with. Obviously, it was a little bit my fault"

Yes that sounds like someone that has grown a lot through all this. His agent needs to advise him to stfu about this.
I like that he slipped a poker metaphor in there

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Why not? What's wrong with a double standard? Are pro athletes too stupid to understand that once they sign a pro sports contract, they may be limited in what they're allowed to do. But they should make it simple - any pro athlete who is caught placing a bet of any size on a pro sporting event of any kind should be banned for life from all professional sports. There should be large rewards for turning in such athletes as well.
Hang on. I’m not a gambler and oppose it in a lot of forms, but what exactly is wrong with a hockey player making a bet on a football game? Provided, of course, the player doesn’t have a gambling problem and isn’t breaking some law/hurting anyone else by doing it.

Gambling could destroy the entire integrity of the sport.

Beating your wife, though horrible, does not challenge the competitive spirit of the game. That’s the reason gambling is harshly penalized. It could ruin the integrity of the game.
I would argue that not harshly punishing someone who beats their significant other could ruin the integrity of the game, not that Voynov wasn’t harshly punished. Something else that could ruin the integrity of the game is covering up sexual assault, but the NHL has a quiet expiration date on punishment for that it seems.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Hang on. I’m not a gambler and oppose it in a lot of forms, but what exactly is wrong with a hockey player making a bet on a football game? Provided, of course, the player doesn’t have a gambling problem and isn’t breaking some law/hurting anyone else by doing it.

I would argue that not harshly punishing someone who beats their significant other could ruin the integrity of the game, not that Voynov wasn’t harshly punished. Something else that could ruin the integrity of the game is covering up sexual assault, but the NHL has a quiet expiration date on punishment for that it seems.
You are not wrong. I was just saying that if some player is caught up in gambling, he could fix games. Best to nip that in the bud. Domestic violence should be harshly punished as it happens.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Beating your wife, though horrible, does not challenge the competitive spirit of the game. That’s the reason gambling is harshly penalized. It could ruin the integrity of the game.

Yeah, I agree... But that's why I qualified it with, "If he was betting on NHL games".

There's a big difference between a player doing some wonky betting on other sports and a player betting on games in the sport he plays in.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Don’t see why betting on Football can destroy hockey.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The reason why Pinto did not argue or contest his 41 game suspension…,,

He had the over on the over/under and the line was 40 games….

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
Don’t see why betting on Football can destroy hockey.
Suppose he, or another player, gets in the hole $500k gambling on the NFL. Or $5M. Player is approached by someone who says they will cover his debt if he helps them fix games, gives them inside info on team game plans or injuries, or most likely, point shave.

With the proliferation of live betting, the latter possibility is especially concerning, as it’s probably not that hard for a guy to justify point shaving in a game that’s already way out of hand.

The concern is heightened for the NHL and for Canadian teams in all sports, since match fixing is perfectly legal in Canada, an issue I’m surprised hasn’t been discussed more.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Suppose he, or another player, gets in the hole $500k gambling on the NFL. Or $5M. Player is approached by someone who says they will cover his debt if he helps them fix games, gives them inside info on team game plans or injuries, or most likely, point shave.

With the proliferation of live betting, the latter possibility is especially concerning, as it’s probably not that hard for a guy to justify point shaving in a game that’s already way out of hand.
Great, eliminate gambling money from HRR, I’m fully onboard, it’s so nauseating, being shoved down our throats.

How many times a decade does your scenario happen a decade.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
Great, eliminate gambling money from HRR, I’m fully onboard, it’s so nauseating, being shoved down our throats.

How many times a decade does your scenario happen a decade.
Pete Rose was in massive debt to gamblers when his betting came to light and it’s widely speculated that that’s exactly what happened to him. He proactively accepted a lifetime ban from baseball and waived his right to appeal in order to end MLB’s investigation.

High level college football and basketball players have been caught point shaving. Surely there are more examples that go unnoticed or unreported.

Even if it happened once per decade, that could cost the league tens of millions in litigation or, if confidence in the product was sufficiently undermined, hundreds of millions in lost revenue from lost sponsors/advertisers and declining viewership.

edited to add:
Pinto was suspended for placing a bet illegally; the fact that he bet on another sport was not suspension-worthy in and of itself

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Pete Rose was in massive debt to gamblers when his betting came to light and it’s widely speculated that that’s exactly what happened to him. He proactively accepted a lifetime ban from baseball and waived his right to appeal in order to end MLB’s investigation.

High level college football and basketball players have been caught point shaving. Surely there are more examples that go unnoticed or unreported.

Even if it happened once per decade, that could cost the league tens of millions in litigation or, if confidence in the product was sufficiently undermined, hundreds of millions in lost revenue from lost sponsors/advertisers and declining viewership.

Seems a lot easier from my POV to ban players from sports gambling altogether rather than just on the NHL.
So fixing a problem that happens rarely.
Thankfully not in hockey,
if to ever happen in hockey it would be the goalie (in you’re owing money eg.) they target.

What did baseball do after Rose, still the same as other leagues, as far as I know.
Players know, if they bet on their own sport, it’s going to be a lifetime ban likely, so I don’t have a problem with other sports.
I just wish the league didn’t take their money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad