News Article: Pierre McGuire: “You’ll be seeing a lot of me

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Alfredsson was 41 y/o in his season with Detroit, you don't see 40+ y/o players able to play in the NHL ve wry often... it was a "last kick at the can" for him and he hoped that maybe it would have work with his compatriotes in etroit.

I dont blame him for trying. Would have been really cool if Alfie stayed an Ottawa Senators all his career but not the end of the world... and certainly not a big deal like some fans seem to imply

Look at Martin Brodeur... He ruined his 21 years "legacy" with the Devils to play 7 Games for the Blues?

All that being said, I think it was the first real "proof" that Melnyk was not going to blindly pay his players. Don't know how to say that but I think people know what I mean.

Last edited:

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Alfredsson was 41 y/o in his season with Detroit, you don't see 40+ y/o players able to play in the NHL ve wry often... it was a "last kick at the can" for him and he hoped that maybe it would have work with his compatriotes in etroit.

I dont blame him for trying. Would have been really cool if Alfie stayed an Ottawa Senators all his career but not the end of the world... and certainly not a big deal like some fans seem to imply

Look at Martin Brodeur... He ruined his 21 years "legacy" with the Devils to play 7 Games for the Blues?

All that being said, I think it was the first real "proof" that Melnyk was not going to blindly pay their players. Don't know how to say that but I think people know what I mean.

It was the beginning of the erosion of trust between this fanbase and Melnyk for sure. The irony is that it cost Melnyk far more than the three million they were apart on over time.

Anyone know what PM’s thoughts on our internal budget were and how he reacted to losing Karlsson, Stone and co? I’m curious on his stance on this.

Reactions: Xspyrit

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
My friend's dad grew up with the Murray family. Is friends with all of them.

Direct from Bryan, the story was that the Sens offered what they thought was a market value offer. Something in the $4.5M range for 1 year.

Alfredsson figured he was owed for the last year he had played at $1M, and wanted/was expecting 1yr at $7M or 2 years at $5.5M per

When the Sens came with the $4.5, he ghosted them. Bryan said he couldn't get an answer from Alfie or his agent. Neither would answer calls or return messages.

During that period of silence, Alfredsson spoke with Zetterberg and Babcock, and they convinced him to come to Detroit.

When Alfredsson agreed, it was still in that negotiation only phase in the days before July 1st, but he agreed to the 1yr $5.5M deal.

By the time Melnyk gave Murray the ok to pay Alfie what he wanted, Alfredsson had already agreed with Detroit. Alfie only called Murray after he had made the deal with the Red Wings.

Really poorly handled by all parties.

Nah, it was poorly handled by one party: management/ownership.

I'd also lose my shit had I given my entire career to an organisation and received that initial offer. Murray must've known that as well. Melnyk's just an asshole.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Nah, it was poorly handled by one party: management/ownership.

I'd also lose my shit had I given my entire career to an organisation and received that initial offer. Murray must've known that as well. Melnyk's just an asshole.

Murray has been open about this. stop trying to make this an EM issue. It was a disagreement between Murray and Alfie.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Was never a fan of McGuire on TSN1200, but you gotta admit that his enthusiasm on the Sens is pretty good to hear.

On the other hand, the amount of Eugene Melnyck butt kissing he does in that interview is a bit outrageous.

Turns out some people not outraged by the outdoor game interview may actually like the guy.

Not everything is butt kissing, we just have to start to admit that not everyone hates him like he is hated in here.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Was never a fan of McGuire on TSN1200, but you gotta admit that his enthusiasm on the Sens is pretty good to hear.

On the other hand, the amount of Eugene Melnyck butt kissing he does in that interview is a bit outrageous.
He's got a lot to be enthusiastic about. They're in a great spot if the money is there, and if things dont work out, he's obviously next in line for his dream GM job.

Reactions: guyzeur

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He's got a lot to be enthusiastic about. They're in a great spot if the money is there, and if things dont work out, he's obviously next in line for his dream GM job.

This, and it’s pretty obvious that EM has made financial reassurances otherwise I doubt PM would be excited. He’s well aware of all of the ownership and fan drama surrounding the team.

Now, will EM put his money where his mouth is? Time will tell, dare to Dream!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This, and it’s pretty obvious that EM has made financial reassurances otherwise I doubt PM would be excited. He’s well aware of all of the ownership and fan drama surrounding the team.

Now, will EM put his money where his mouth is? Time will tell, dare to Dream!
He'll certainly find out soon enough, like we all will, should be interesting.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Turns out some people not outraged by the outdoor game interview may actually like the guy.

Not everything is butt kissing, we just have to start to admit that not everyone hates him like he is hated in here.
Has nothing to do with whether people like the owner or not. When a guy in a new job goes on the radio and finds a way to praise the owner about 10 times.... well, that's butt kissing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Has nothing to do with whether people like the owner or not. When a guy in a new job goes on the radio and finds a way to praise the owner about 10 times.... well, that's butt kissing.

I mean I guess. Seems to me like classic Pierre. He’s very effusive and free with the praise when he likes people. He lavishes players all the time as well, and lately almost everything and everyone is “phenomenal” lol!

Euge must have given him a double dose of the goods though to get him this excited. The man better pony up!

Reactions: guyzeur

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It is hard for me to keep up with all the hate reasons on this board, but what did Bruce do to the fan base again?
I didn't use the word hate and can't control your own perception of events or comments here, but ya I think he's a total hack.

He gives below amateur level performance with massive Melnyk ass kissing included, while being spoon fed what to say.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It is hard for me to keep up with all the hate reasons on this board, but what did Bruce do to the fan base again?

For an "insider", he's awful (compared to someone like Frank Seravalli). He tends to pick a few players that we're shopping, and a few players that we're interested in, and just beats that dead horse for weeks on an end. I remember when, every Sunday for 5-6 years in the 90's/00's, we were interested in Brad Isbister, Dave Scatchard or Taylor Pyatt.

For me, it has nothing to do with Melnyk. He's just boring. Brings no "inside" information and seemingly has no opinions of his own. He's a guy who's mailed it in for the last 20 years.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
The irony is that it cost Melnyk far more than the three million they were apart on over time.

What people forget is that it's the fans that lose out. Fan backlash only hurts the payroll and quality of team we get to watch on the ice.

massive Melnyk ass kissing included, while being spoon fed what to say.

I am just curious.. can you provide examples of butt kissing? I know it would mean digging through articles and I totally understand if you aren't willing to do that. I am genuinely curious if you can provide actual examples of this. I have been reading Bruce over the last twenty years and yes, he is definitely pro team but I honestly don't see him kissing Melnyk's butt.

As for being "spoon fed what to say"... that seems like the consensus opinion on this board but again, how do you know this is a fact?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
For an "insider", he's awful (compared to someone like Frank Seravalli). He tends to pick a few players that we're shopping, and a few players that we're interested in, and just beats that dead horse for weeks on an end. I remember when, every Sunday for 5-6 years in the 90's/00's, we were interested in Brad Isbister, Dave Scatchard or Taylor Pyatt.

For me, it has nothing to do with Melnyk. He's just boring. Brings no "inside" information and seemingly has no opinions of his own. He's a guy who's mailed it in for the last 20 years.

Other than what he is spoonfed by the Senators organization, Bruce brings nothing to the table. No interesting insight. No experience playing the sport. No credible inside scoops. He's not interesting or charismatic. He's not even articulate. I'd rather get the inside scoop on the team directly from one of their representatives, like Regis, who is articulate and interesting.

Assen na yo!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The org seems to be trying to rehabilitate Melnyk's reputation, it's not just Pierre McGuire, Anthony LeBlanc did some interviews where he lavished praise on Melnyk, Dorion regularly credits Melnyk, prompted or not.

There's nothing wrong with it, he needs to rehabilitate his image, and he seems to be taking steps in that direction. Expectation setting still seems to be a bit of a a problem, but I think it's getting better.

The team needs to sell its fanbase on hope and confidence in the process. Teams that sell their fanbase on wins and loses will always have a fragile fanbase, teams that sell on confidence in the process will have longer lasting support. We lost the fanbase confidence in the process, comments like 'can he walk on water' wrt Boudreau, and how the negotiations and trades of star players played out publically, not to mention the LeBreton fiasco and Karlsson/Hoffman feud brought into question the process. Hopefully the Manns, Dorion and McGuire can restore faith, I think we're on the right path, and we're not taking short cuts, so that's good.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Other than what he is spoonfed by the Senators organization, Bruce brings nothing to the table. No interesting insight. No experience playing the sport. No credible inside scoops. He's not interesting or charismatic. He's not even articulate. I'd rather get the inside scoop on the team directly from one of their representatives, like Regis, who is articulate and interesting.

Assen na yo!
If you go back to when the pre-game show roundtable had various media people (Bruce, Don Brennan, CJ, Gord & Dean, Murray Wilson, sometimes Wayne Scanlan), I often found Bruce to be the most interesting of the bunch. He seemed to at least try to bring an element beyond just worshipping the org.

But I don't think the "Question Period" segment on the TSN broadcasts really works for him. I'll usually start watching it but pretty quickly lose interest.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The org seems to be trying to rehabilitate Melnyk's reputation, it's not just Pierre McGuire, Anthony LeBlanc did some interviews where he lavished praise on Melnyk, Dorion regularly credits Melnyk, prompted or not.

I can believe that is a strategy.

But in McGuire's case, there is the more self serving motivation of positioning himself for the GM job when it inevitably opens up.... and I can tell you that from years of working for various Ottawa hi tech companies, the motivation behind almost all ass kissing is to get that next promotion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad