Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Do you have the smoke links to share? I'm curious

Honestly, I do think some fans are playing the devalue game. Bunch of coyotes jumping on something when it's trending. Certainly not off to a good start with the Kings but they did try to spread their talent over 3 lines with Dubois as the 3rd wheel. Personally, I find that horrible usage for someone who has never carried a line on his own.
here's one ( I knew where to find it because I watched itt his morning and it was fresh in my history)

I heard it elsewhere, but my memory is shorter than Emmanuel Lewis

Reactions: Habs Halifax

iggy

Aug 2, 2005
To Islanders--PLD and Brandt Clarke

To L.A.------- Nelson and Pulock.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The 1/3 buyout is manageable but it's not ideal. It's basically the same hit as Suter/Parise combined that the Wild are going through right now.

Bold move to buy him out after 1/8 years in the contract. Blake's job would be on the line IMO
Blake's job should be on the line but as long as lucky luc is calling the shots Blake is safe.

They’re not retaining for 7 years. They’re not buying him out. Best bet is they’re going to keep him and hope he gets Back to being a 60-70 point player.
I agree this is the most likely...just freaking sucks.

One thing is for sure he should not be a center. For him to have any value put his ass on the wing.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
How is this thread still a thing.. Blake has already stated PLD is not going anywhere. As much as it sucks you all had to know Blake would not swallow his pride and move on from his biggest trade after only a year. We’re stuck with him for the long haul.

Reactions: KingsOfCali25

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Dubois "should" be a message to GMs about taking a closer look at a players history rather then convincing themselves that they are smarter or more capable of dealing with certain players.

I have that issue with any potential traded for Zegras. If signing him now was a bit of a problem, why would it be simpler in a few years?

Ignore history at your peril...
As a Kings fan can I ask to you delete this comment until after we trade him.
you are free to re-post after we jettison him

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Just for some context here, I am not aware of any player who has been bought out for more than 4 years or retained for more than four years after signing a deal of this magnitude.
Blake will not buyout PLD this year. So its going to be a trade, likely one that both teams fan bases will be unhappy with.

• Haha
Reactions: go4hockey

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Just for some context here, I am not aware of any player who has been bought out for more than 4 years or retained for more than four years after signing a deal of this magnitude.
Blake will not buyout PLD this year. So its going to be a trade, likely one that both teams fan bases will be unhappy with.
It's a ways back but the Islanders bought out Rick Depietro's 15 year contract 6 years in. That was back in 2013 and it's on the books until 2029. So it HAS happened, but not often. That said isn't Blake already on record saying there are no plans to buy out PLD?

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
It's a ways back but the Islanders bought out Rick Depietro's 15 year contract 6 years in. That was back in 2013 and it's on the books until 2029. So it HAS happened, but not often. That said isn't Blake already on record saying there are no plans to buy out PLD?
Yes, Blake says no buyout this year, which means no buyout because its 2/3 payout next season. If a buyout happened it would have to be this summer to be affordable. I forgot about Dipietro and the horror that was Mike Milbury in a GM job.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Blake's job should be on the line but as long as lucky luc is calling the shots Blake is safe.

I agree this is the most likely...just freaking sucks.

One thing is for sure he should not be a center. For him to have any value put his ass on the wing.

When I wanted the Habs to trade for Dubois, that's how I was going to use him. A power forward winger who could play center if there are injurie issues.

Kings spreading out their talent on 3 lines with Dubois leading the 3rd line is not good utilization for someone like Dubois IMO. A bit of a sook when he doesn't get what he wants but man... you are paying him $8.5M to play 3rd line and 15 min a game? Come on man. Blame goes to both player and team in this case. I do think the Kings do something different next season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They didn't "decide" to play him 15 minutes a game, he was simply not putting in the effort which pushed his time and position down.

No team ever signs what they think is a top player and then punish him or put him in a position to do worse.

This is all on Dubois. Period.

Not how I read the situation.

Sounds good to me.

Where do I sign?

I'd consider that move but one other must have for the Habs to take this 7 year anchor is retention down to $7.5M. We can't bring him to our team making more in AAV than Suzuki and Caufield.

I'll say 75% of our fan base don't like it. I've had a fair amount of conversations with them. For me it's worth consideration. I think Dubois will be happy in Montreal and I do think MSL coaches him well and gets him playing how he can. I'd have him on wing with one of Suzki or Dach as a power forward type to replace Anderson.

Anderson and Dubois are interesting to compare. Both big boys that skate well and are very effective when they are playing at their best. They just are not that consistent game/game and it's very frustrating.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
When I wanted the Habs to trade for Dubois, that's how I was going to use him. A power forward winger who could play center if there are injurie issues.

Kings spreading out their talent on 3 lines with Dubois leading the 3rd line is not good utilization for someone like Dubois IMO. A bit of a sook when he doesn't get what he wants but man... you are paying him $8.5M to play 3rd line and 15 min a game? Come on man. Blame goes to both player and team in this case. I do think the Kings do something different next season.
There is no good way to utilize a player who is not invested in playing hockey and is a cancer to the team. I think the only reason PLD is playing worlds is to try to increase his stock in case he gets bought out.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no good way to utilize a player who is not invested in playing hockey and is a cancer to the team. I think the only reason PLD is playing worlds is to try to increase his stock in case he gets bought out.

I don't believe in Dubois being cancer to the team. I think this is a case of the red flags being exaggerated and over focus towards it by media/fans.

Seems like everything he does not is twisted into a negative. Playing worlds because he thinks he will get bought out. Come on man.... don't fall for the bandwagon hate party going on right now. He's done some stuff that warrants criticism but lets not go overboard with it.

Doubt he gets bought out. That's media/fan talk.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Doubt he's traded - there aren't many GMs that would be that stupid after the long documented history of PLD. He's a King for sure next year.

I don't believe in Dubois being cancer to the team. I think this is a case of the red flags being exaggerated and over focus towards it by media/fans.

Seems like everything he does not is twisted into a negative. Playing worlds because he thinks he will get bought out. Come on man.... don't fall for the bandwagon hate party going on right now. He's done some stuff that warrants criticism but lets not go overboard with it.

Doubt he gets bought out. That's media/fan talk.
If his last name was Smith, would you feel the same way?

He has a documented history of quitting on his team. That IS a cancer. If you play professional sports, and your teammate quits on your team, that is a dealbreaker. PLD would be the worst thing to happen to Montreal. Worse than Gomez. Worse than Drouin. Worse than Alzner.

Reactions: HabsAddict

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

you now realize the frustration with this team. LA has a great third line center in Danault. kopitar, at this stage in career, is a low end #1 or high end #2. THey should have have Kopitar as #1, QB as #2 to learn the role, and Danault #3. The only way this team is going to be successful is if they grow QB as a center so that they can be deep down the middle.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think he was producing very well when the Jets had him with Connor last year. Once the Jets realized he would not stay, he was moved off that line. I paid attention.

Dubois to me is not the type to lead a line by himself. I would put a lot of blame to the Kings management on this. Paid a big price to acquire and gave him a big contract but then decided to ice 3 lines with talent spread out. Dubois as the 3rd wheel.

Big price to pay in trade value, big contract, and then decided to play him 15 min/game and on the 3rd line. Makes no sense at all.... regardless of how much fans think he is cancer. I think it's gravitating to lets alienate him now more than it should be.

Remember when the trade happened? Lots of fans wondered why the Kings were adding another center? I thought they would utilize him as a power forward type winger in their top 6 and he's there for insurance at center in case of injuries.

I think the Kings will do something different next year if he stays. A $8.5M center on the 3rd line. Come on man.

Flames with Huberdeau and they have to retain to cover the AAV difference and age with Huberdeau.
Buy out? Doubt it but possible. 1/3 the cost is manageable but not ideal.

Nothing else makes sense. Cost would be too high for the Kings.
If you paid attention, you would know his play fell off after he injured his hip.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Gallagher or Anderson for Dubois + pick is my guess.

He fits the profile of what the Habs want in a player in terms of size and skill. With the Habs he'll be where he was always to rumored to want to go so hopefully less pouting.

Assuming Habs draft Linsldstrom or Iginla that would be a good top 6.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Dubois - Dach - Iginla/Lindstrom

That is a 2nd line built foe the playoffs

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Negative value with his recent play and that turd of a contract.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Gallagher or Anderson for Dubois + pick is my guess.

He fits the profile of what the Habs want in a player in terms of size and skill. With the Habs he'll be where he was always to rumored to want to go so hopefully less pouting.

Assuming Habs draft Linsldstrom or Iginla that would be a good top 6.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Dubois - Dach - Iginla/Lindstrom

That is a 2nd line built foe the playoffs
Not with that much term. Way to much risk that he'll continue to be a heartless crappy player. The time for Montreal to aquire him has passed. LA made their bed, let them deal with the consequences

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad