Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
frankly I’d keep him and hire a Torts-like or drill instructor coach tasked solely to constantly hound him into giving a damn. For that money you’re either posting numbers or living in emotional pain.
huz4vU8.png

you thought you got a gold star for that play boy?! I'M THE ONLY STAR HERE

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The buyout isn’t bad at all, relatively speaking. Once cap increases start up again like they did pre-Covid, those 3-4 million years won’t be as bad as they look now. And once they clear that last 2.8 year it’s peanuts from there. It could be a lot worse- I don’t know what option is even close to this out there- who is taking on this contract in a way that beats this?

View attachment 862955
I buyout may wake him up. Because skill is there

Last edited:
Reactions: Sports2

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When I was going to university and starving, I got a truck driving and movers job. We were moving the belongings of a young couple in Quebec working in the Alberta oil fields. Their goal was to make ad much money as possible before 40 and retire. Yes, retire at 40. They hated the job but loved the money.

PLDonkey reminds me of this couple. He seems to hate the job and not really giving a damn. Just in it for the money and early retirement.

Why should ANY hockey fan of ANY team care about this guy? He clearly doesn't care about the fans forking out serious money.

If he gets bought out, I hope he just disappears from hockey.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
When I was going to university and starving, I got a truck driving and movers job. We were moving the belongings of a young couple in Quebec working in the Alberta oil fields. Their goal was to make ad much money as possible before 40 and retire. Yes, retire at 40. They hated the job but loved the money.

PLDonkey reminds me of this couple. He seems to hate the job and not really giving a damn. Just in it for the money and early retirement.

Why should ANY hockey fan of ANY team care about this guy? He clearly doesn't care about the fans forking out serious money.

Making as much money as you can in as short of a time as possible is perfectly fine, so is retiring early. I’m not sure why this couple reminds you of PLD.

They most likely are a hard working couple that puts in many hours, shows leadership qualities and provide value to their employing company.

Something PLD probably knows nothing about. And will most likely be paid 100x more for.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

He's 26, 6'4", 225, strong, physical, versatile positionally, and his career low is 40 points over a full season.

Not many players in the league with that profile, warts and large contract or not.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would rather buy out PLD than trade Byfield to ditch the contract
That is fair as to an alternative, but remember that = dead cap consequences

Also depends on what else you would get, and if pld elsewhere, do you have to retain?

My offer = signif immediate help.

There is no guarantee, but bread likely imo would be receptive to biggest stage on west coast, where he hasn't been before, on a team where w/Shesty they could go far in POs.
Also, w/newborn upwards of a yr old, say after upcoming season he does 9 or 10 x 3, not cheap but not risking going wrong side of 35 long term. Means during cold winter the wife + kid get to hit the beach next coupla yrs.

And Shesty? need I say more.

Yeah, while there is no honest basis to see By guy turning into McDavid II, he does project to be a stud pivot so that is gonna hurt, no ?
But you have good depth at C atm and between the above adds and loss of pld headache and $$, I would argue it could be worth it.

Don't see you getting better offer for byfield + pld

A signif $$ contract is not something you dump for a single 1st.
You could eat half the entire deal, and still would have to be looking at multiple firsts/prospects, the pld contract is that bad

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
frankly I’d keep him and hire a Torts-like or drill instructor coach tasked solely to constantly hound him into giving a damn. For that money you’re either posting numbers or living in emotional pain.
Sounds nice in theory but won't work.

1. most important, can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink
2. too much anything no good incl. excessive discipline types; eff Torts, etc, those guys are generally not good for teams

3. Only thing you can do, IF IF IF you have enuf of a roster to support that, is you tell pld he is a healthy scratch, he has to be paid, but no playing until we see effort, etc.
Rs can now + short term do that

4. Reciprocally, whichever of top 3 lines where he is a best fit, he would still be w/high end guys if he puts out = decent chance he rebounds w/production = chance he could be sold cheap to wherever he wants to go for cap recovery.
So Rs can afford to gamble

but not taking on that albatross contract commitment w/o Byfield, who is gonna command a pricey deal soon enuf.

I buyout may wake him up. Because skill is there
Yeah but that effs the Kings!
means pld gets to go where he wants and Ks have to pony up signif real $$ AND cap hit to be rid of him

• Haha
Reactions: wintersej

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
With my proposal, Dubois comes at $7M or $7.5M. A little savings. I would decline the trade if he comes making more than Suzuki. Bad example to set.

Basically, the ones who say no, think Dubois will be the version he was this season with the Kings forever now. I don't see it that way. I see the Kings miss managing him and playing him with limited talent on the 3rd line. Trying to spread out their talent on 3 lines kind of thing. The version I see as a potential is the one that we seen when he played with Connor last year. He was a pt/game player. I just don't think he is the type to lead a line by himself.

Very similar to Lehkonen management. Devalue him when Habs bounced him all over the place with horrible centers and now that he is playing with talent with the Avs, he is awesome. Gaudreau? 100 pts forward with some talent on the Flames and blah with limited talent on the Blue Jackets.

This to me is asset management issues. Motivating the player who has shown flashes of brilliance by placing him in the best spot to succeed. Not an automatic no for me. We need his size and skating and I trust MSL would mange him well. He has clearly wanted to play for the Habs for a while now. That's no secrete.
Except the version of Dubois we saw pretty much all season is not new, we have seen this version on and off during his whole career so far.

You sound exactly like people did when Anderson was added...he is fast he is big...he is a goal scorer...well he ended up being one of the worst uses of $5.5M in cap space so far in his Habs career that I have ever seen and I think Dubois would be the same thing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except the version of Dubois we saw pretty much all season is not new, we have seen this version on and off during his whole career so far.

You sound exactly like people did when Anderson was added...he is fast he is big...he is a goal scorer...well he ended up being one of the worst uses of $5.5M in cap space so far in his Habs career that I have ever seen and I think Dubois would be the same thing.

Correct. That off/on version has been that way since he asked out of Columbus. Would you believe he is deflated because he has dreams of playing for the Habs? Some will criticize him for this and he should show up regardless (which is somewhat fair).

What I do know is when placed with talent, he produces. When he is not placed with talent, he does not produce. That's clear as day with me and I've been paying attention of usage.

All I am saying is I see a chance of opportunity to buy low and get retention, where he is happy in Montreal and MSL utilizes him well. When he is at his best, it's a piece our roster needs. Physical strength as a big skater. I would consider him on wing with Montreal and insurance at center if needed. That's what I thought LA would do

At the end of the day, maybe he is an average 2nd line player and 50-60 pts player. That's how it's tracking I guess.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would rather buyout PLD, Kopitar and Doughty then lose our best up and coming player. Makes absolutely no sense.

Kopi and Doughty are not leading this team anywhere. Byfield is our future. If PLD is being bought out it is to help our future not our current roster
Very reasonable plan b and sensible to not sacrifice your future prime asset, even for signif help and making pld go buh bye at full pop.

But the honest ? that has to be asked is, if agreed pld must still go, what is the best real non Byfield offer to actually move him? And if any such offer not enuf then, ok, buyout. BUT buyout = SIGNIF real $$ cap long term.

Buyout is legit option but not painless
Sacrificing Byfeild = pain
Sacrificing other assets = pain
keeping pld not playing = waste = pain

there are no good options
only need to try and quantify, objectively, which is least painful = [comparative] best

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Very reasonable plan b and sensible to not sacrifice your future prime asset, even for signif help and making pld go buh bye at full pop.

But the honest ? that has to be asked is, if agreed pld must still go, what is the best real non Byfield offer to actually move him? And if any such offer not enuf then, ok, buyout. BUT buyout = SIGNIF real $$ cap long term.

Buyout is legit option but not painless
Sacrificing Byfeild = pain
Sacrificing other assets = pain
keeping pld not playing = waste = pain

there are no good options
only need to try and quantify, objectively, which is least painful = [comparative] best
Sean Couturier for PLD one for one. PLD and RYJO would make a good tandem for coach Torts.

• Haha
Reactions: joestevens29

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
sorry no, this is the stereotype that must be corrected.

first and foremost, max chance to win cup = extending the window for max possible duration
THAT = >>> to short term rentals etc
build w/foundation pieces = smartest
proof? Blackhawks, Bruins + Bolts

second, and not irrelevant, this CLEARLY was not an overture to take on 8+m long term to be rid of 16m thru next season on expiring contracts
you did not explicitly say that, but that is the upshot inference of what you said.

Finally, as I said, taking on a long term albatross would require long term ongoing compensation to be worth it.
Byfield like LaF + KK is not a finished product, but he holds such promise to the necessary degree
while obv today bread>Othmann/Berard and Shesty>Garand, these are reasonable fallback positions for NY
adding Byfield holds hope of long term first line solution: Kreider -By - Zib !!!!!
No By guy, no deal

no, we do not want that dead weight albatross of a contract w/o Byfield

It's no stereotype. The Rangers would be a worse team next year if you remove Panarin and Shesterkin for Byfield and PLD. You also have no certainty that the team will be better down the road with that exchange, as other players get older, injured or leave. So, you are hurting the team's current chances of winning a Cup in the hope that the team will be better several years down the road. The Rangers are in "win now" mode, so should not be trading away key players. By your logic, the Oilers should trade away McDavid because it will help their cap situation down the road.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Correct. That off/on version has been that way since he asked out of Columbus. Would you believe he is deflated because he has dreams of playing for the Habs? Some will criticize him for this and he should show up regardless (which is somewhat fair).

What I do know is when placed with talent, he produces. When he is not placed with talent, he does not produce. That's clear as day with me and I've been paying attention of usage.

All I am saying is I see a chance of opportunity to buy low and get retention, where he is happy in Montreal and MSL utilizes him well. When he is at his best, it's a piece our roster needs. Physical strength as a big skater. I would consider him on wing with Montreal and insurance at center if needed. That's what I thought LA would do

At the end of the day, maybe he is an average 2nd line player and 50-60 pts player. That's how it's tracking I guess.
You say some wild things. He wanted more money to play for Montreal and was willing to accept less money to go to LA. What “dream of playing in Montreal” are you hallucinating about? He used us as leverage to get himself an expensive long term contract he wasn’t worth. Crisis avoided. Now you want to bring him back coming off a season where he was burning bridges with his third team? :laugh: Make it make sense. He’s toxic. Keep him away from Montreal.

Reactions: HabzSauce

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sean Couturier for PLD one for one. PLD and RYJO would make a good tandem for coach Torts.

You're too generous. I was going to offer Couturier and Petersen for PLD @50%, in the hopes that being forced to play under Torts again would cause PLD to retire outright. (Also, I want to see a team defense featuring both Couturier and Danault, that sounds nifty.)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know what team in their right mind would trade for the guy. 3 teams now that he's had issues with, even one that he hand picked to go to.

Can't be given any assets up for a guy of his character that isn't even producing. Who could very well demand a trade when he gets bored or frustrated again.

Even with retention it's not an ideal contract to be taken on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's 26, 6'4", 225, strong, physical, versatile positionally, and his career low is 40 points over a full season.

Not many players in the league with that profile, warts and large contract or not.

This is the part I think many are overlooking. Of course Dubois should put up more points with that contract but the things he brings beyond points is being overshadowed. Rightfully so but some go way overboard with it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just take advantage of the 1/3 buyout hit and walk away.
Pride or sunk cost fallacy is no reason to get locked into this long term

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs going to finally get DuBois and get a 1st+ for doing it.

Two options that I can see right now.. Not sure if Hughes does it (option 2) but lets play.

1) Huberdeau for Dubois and Flames retain where both are making the same AAV for the next 7 years. Has to happen before July 1st because Dubois's NMC kicks in and doubt he waives for the Flames. Huberdeau probably waives to go to LA.

2) Dubois with retention down to $7.5M (has to be below Suzuki) and a 1st. Habs send Gallagher or Anderson with Harris. 1st is for the 4 years on top of Gallagher's 3 that he has left. Harris included as a small young asset who is a decent bottom pairing guy.

3) Other ideas are possible but becomes more difficult after July 1st. Dubois is not going to play nice with his NMC and doubt he waives to go to a rebuilding team other than the Habs. And the contenders likely don't have the cap space.

Just take advantage of the 1/3 buyout hit and walk away.
Pride or sunk cost fallacy is no reason to get locked into this long term

Easy for fans to say the owner will throw money away that easily. Even if the $31M is spread over 14 years.

Yeah, Blake is going to approach the owner about this idea and not worry about his job. :facepalm:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If the Kings are wanting to keep him (which I assume they do), this is the way to get the best out of him.

Hes going to whine about it. Hes going to complain. But it’s what works.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Easy for fans to say the owner will throw money away that easily. Even if the $31M is spread over 14 years.

Yeah, Blake is going to approach the owner about this idea and not worry about his job. :facepalm:
Just as easy as it is for you to pose trade possibilities I suppose, but I'm familiar with the path of these discussions with you.

I'll just say the Kings owners are pretty high on the "money doesn't matter much" list of US NHL team owners and that Blake should be worried anyway due to the net results of his signings and trades.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
2) Dubois with retention down to $7.5M (has to be below Suzuki) and a 1st. Habs send Gallagher or Anderson with Harris. 1st is for the 4 years on top of Gallagher's 3 that he has left. Harris included as a small young asset who is a decent bottom pairing guy.
Make it Gallagher and Anderson, replace Harris with Carey Price's contract and we may have a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: