Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I agree with you here and I want my team to contend.
Let's make him our second center first.
Actually, I would like to see the whole line being our second line.

We have a center in Suzuki.
Need to add two wingers with 50+ and 60+ points.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
How many players played on their teams 3rd line and put up 40 points last year?
When you don't have top centers a la Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, your other lines better perform.

We are looking at Bozak, Little, Statsny, Kerfoot, Henrique...
I think Danault can compare to those guys.

We just need two more centers. Suzuki could arguably be one of them next year.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Let's make him our second center first.
Actually, I would like to see the whole line being our second line.

We have a center in Suzuki.
Need to add two wingers with 50+ and 60+ points.

We know that it won't happen, that's why I'm mad. Our GM can't add a backup goalie.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
How many players played on their teams 3rd line and put up 40 points last year?
A decent number. Eller's had 38 and 36 his past two full seasons as a 3C, and on pace for 46 right now. Bozak 38 last year. Coyle on pace for 43 right now. Thornton 51 last year, Tyler Johnson 47, Eakin 41. There aren't as many teams with a defined 3C these days since lines are more flexible and the dedicated "3rd line checking line" isn't as common so your 3C can be more situational, but for a great team 40p is a pretty reasonable ballpark figure for a defined 3C.

So does that mean we should call Malkin a 2nd line center, because a contender wants/needs a guy as good as him in that #2 slot? Or should we call him a 1st line center because he's one of the best centers out there and acknowledge contenders need 1st line quality players on their 2nd line?
From the post you're replying to: "It's just frustrating that we keep having the same circular arguments about whether Danault is a 1C or not because the point is if you want to contend you need to have a center (and ideally two) who's so good it is absurd to even ask the question"

Not sure what the Malkin gotcha is supposed to mean. I'm saying exactly that (contenders need 1st liners on their 2nd lines).

I said I think Danault is an adequate 1C, good 2C, and super luxury 3C with a direct comparison to someone like Jordan Staal. What I'm arguing is that the fact there's even an argument and that we need to use all these qualifiers like "underrated" and "better than the sum of their parts" about our top line and 1C means it's not good enough.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Does Bergeron not benefit from playing with two 100 point wingers?
Does Bergeron not benefit from having tons of ice time on the top line?
at 20 years old Patrice Bergeron had 73 pts in 81 games in the NHL
at 21 years old Patrice Bergeron had 70 pts in 77 games in the NHL

at 20 years old Philip Danault was playing Junior
at 21 years old Philip Danault was in the AHL

at the age Philip Danault is right now Patrice Bergeron had his first of 4 Selke...

so why in hell do you insist on making that stupid comparison ???

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
If they don't trade him, I would expect him to hopefully be bought out...........seems like 3 years of wasted money and roster spot.

Sad return for Sergachev.
This just nuts. When has a team bought out a 25yo 50 point forward who's paid fair value? Come on man, this purely blind hate.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
at 20 years old Patrice Bergeron had 73 pts in 81 games in the NHL
at 21 years old Patrice Bergeron had 70 pts in 77 games in the NHL

at 20 years old Philip Danault was playing Junior
at 21 years old Philip Danault was in the AHL

at the age Philip Danault is right now Patrice Bergeron had his first of 4 Selke...

so why in hell do you insist on making that stupid comparison ???

I'm not comparing the players, I'm pointing out that the arguments that are used against Danault (Plays lots of minutes with the teams best wingers) can be applied to pretty much every player who plays on his team's top line.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not comparing the players, I'm pointing out that the arguments that are used against Danault (Plays lots of minutes with the teams best wingers) can be applied to pretty much every player who plays on his team's top line.
that's exactly what you are doing by bringing back Bergeron in the conversation all the time actually.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This just nuts. When has a team bought out a 25yo 50 point forward who's paid fair value? Come on man, this purely blind hate.
Cut your loss, he has just been terrible... Tampa did...

The truth is hard to admit at times....mistakes get made, it's how you react and deal with those mistakes. No blind hate at all. It has not worked for JD in Tampa, and now Montreal.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Assuming that KK is more NHL ready next year, what do you do up the middle with :

KK
Suzuki
Domi
Danault

????
Phil is without a doubt, probably the best 3rd line C in the league..............if we are to get better, others have to be slotted out in front of him, with the appropriate ice time.....CJ will probably have to be fired for this to happen.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Phil is without a doubt, probably the best 3rd line C in the league..............if we are to get better, others have to be slotted out in front of him, with the appropriate ice time.....CJ will probably have to be fired for this to happen.
I think he will be at the end of the year. I'm still not sure what he should have done differently this year though. There's obvious chemistry between Danault, Gally and Tatar and they are the most productive line and the most responsible defensively. Domi is better than Danault offensively but not many coaches would trust him over Danault to play big minutes against the other teams' best lines. Suzuki is still a rookie and KK struggled badly.

I hope the next coach establishes a top offensive line with Domi and then a shut down line with Danault with the appropriate wingers.

Reactions: BLONG7

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think he will be at the end of the year. I'm still not sure what he should have done differently this year though. There's obvious chemistry between Danault, Gally and Tatar and they are the most productive line and the most responsible defensively. Domi is better than Danault offensively but not many coaches would trust him over Danault to play big minutes against the other teams' best lines. Suzuki is still a rookie and KK struggled badly.

I hope the next coach establishes a top offensive line with Domi and then a shut down line with Danault with the appropriate wingers.
Most productive line and best driving line has the two most productive wingers and the best play driving wingers on it...

Im shooked.

The Danault line is the most productive because it has the two best wingers and Claude is too scared to try Domi, KK or Suzuki with actual good wingers, because then his chouchou danault will get run out of town.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Cut your loss, he has just been terrible... Tampa did...

The truth is hard to admit at times....mistakes get made, it's how you react and deal with those mistakes. No blind hate at all. It has not worked for JD in Tampa, and now Montreal.
1560132042653.gif

Reactions: Mrb1p and BLONG7

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Let's leave Bergeron's name out of the Danault thread, shall we?

It doesn't belong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad