Player Discussion Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Danault > Drouin. Drouin is certainly more talented and the better skater, but Danault has a better hockey IQ, consistency and compete level.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Let's see what can Drouin do at the wing, before saying that he's not as good as Danault.

You can have all the compete level/karakter/liderchip in the world, that won't trump the talent.

Acting like Danault has no talent is just so HF.

Guy was a first round talent, WJC player, PPG+ player in the Q, drafted for his puck hound abilities, defensive mind, skating AND playmaking.

Talent does trump hard work, but hard work and talent always trumps lazy talented.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Guy was a first round talent, WJC player, PPG+ player in the Q, drafted for his puck hound abilities, defensive mind, skating AND playmaking.

Talent does trump hard work, but hard work and talent always trumps lazy talented.

Sure does.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

People do underrate his passing. Very smart and reliable if unspectacular in that regard.

I do get why people write him off though. Despite the 1st round pick his production in the AHL was pretty mediocre and didn't indicate that he'd do as well as he's done at all. If 'talent' is more or less synonymous with 'skill' then yeah I get why people think that. But people definitely go to far in the other direction.

Even last year I was surprised at how few people gave him credit on that line with Rads and Max. It was clear he was doing his part and some.

A lot of people will refute this but I think it was his lack of pedigree AND having to give MB credit for the trade is why many people underrate him. There's a lot of MB detractors that say they give MB credit when he does a good job and they do but not always and it's pretty reluctant. I can COMPLETELY understand why that's the case though.

This is another point for another topic but I think MB's drafting will be re-evaluated too. I'm gonna have to duck for this next one but maybe even Sly's development record could end up being better than what it's given credit for. I don't like him particularly and will forever think he's stupid for the McCarron comments of him not being a scorer but I don't think he's to blame for Big Mac and DLR. That was the org's fault for bringing both up too soon. At the end of the day I'd be curious to see what Sly's development track record will be.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People do underrate his passing. Very smart and reliable if unspectacular in that regard.

I do get why people write him off though. Despite the 1st round pick his production in the AHL was pretty mediocre and didn't indicate that he'd do as well as he's done at all. If 'talent' is more or less synonymous with 'skill' then yeah I get why people think that. But people definitely go to far in the other direction.

Even last year I was surprised at how few people gave him credit on that line with Rads and Max. It was clear he was doing his part and some.

A lot of people will refute this but I think it was his lack of pedigree AND having to give MB credit for the trade is why many people underrate him. There's a lot of MB detractors that say they give MB credit when he does a good job and they do but not always and it's pretty reluctant. I can COMPLETELY understand why that's the case though.

This is another point for another topic but I think MB's drafting will be re-evaluated too. I'm gonna have to duck for this next one but maybe even Sly's development record could end up being better than what it's given credit for. I don't like him particularly and will forever think he's stupid for the McCarron comments of him not being a scorer but I don't think he's to blame for Big Mac and DLR. That was the org's fault for bringing both up too soon. At the end of the day I'd be curious to see what Sly's development track record will be.

To be honest, i didnt even think he would be anything more than a 4th liner, hes a Bergevin acquisition after all and Berg sucks.. but i guess, kinda like Byron and Mete, he lucked out.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
To be honest, i didnt even think he would be anything more than a 4th liner, hes a Bergevin acquisition after all and Berg sucks.. but i guess, kinda lime Byron and Mete, he lucked out.

hahaha. I perversely still feel the need to defend MB on some points but I'm well aware that he needs to go. There's quite a few things I liked that he's done but the bad has out shadowed it grossly.

Smart money said he'd be a 4th liner. 3rd liner at the very very best.

I'll pat myself on the back in being an early believer. I was convinced quickly he'd be an upgrade on Eller. Pretty much the 1st or 2nd game I saw him. I also thought early last year he should be moved up to the top 6 a significant amount of time before he actually was. I can say all this without ego because I'm wrong only all of the time hahahaha. But with Danault the broken clock got his due. lol.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
He has exceeded my expectations in that he looks to be a second line center. He still has a lot of WTF moments which hopefully he will grow out of.

My concern right now is if this is him over the long term. Its not uncommon for players on bad teams getting over valued because they have put up points in bigger than normal roles. With that said, He has deserved the chance to find out if he can sustain it

Reactions: Doc McKenna

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
I think with good, offensive wingers, Danault could be our #2 center.

Not the ideal, but better than him being our default #1....

I might be biased when I say this, because i like the kid, but his offensive upside, particularly his foot speed, seems to be a bit underrated.

Right now, he's on pace for a 50 pts season, which is pretty decent for a #2 center.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
My concern right now is if this is him over the long term. Its not uncommon for players on bad teams getting over valued because they have put up points in bigger than normal roles. With that said, He has deserved the chance to find out if he can sustain it

While you aren't wrong, these cases are usually more experienced players who are seemingly peaking late ala Paul Byron and not 3rd year pro's who've shown steady progression in each year.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
While you aren't wrong, these cases are usually more experienced players who are seemingly peaking late ala Paul Byron and not 3rd year pro's who've shown steady progression in each year.

You might be right, its impossible to dispute as its not like anyone is tracking something like. There is also just as many young players who stop progressing.

Either way, he deserves to play it out and develop and hopefully sustain it. I felt this way with Eller, same with Danault even tho i didnt expect this from him

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He has exceeded my expectations in that he looks to be a second line center. He still has a lot of WTF moments which hopefully he will grow out of.

Its not like hes being fed easy minutes, best wingers or PP time though. If he produces 50 points playing 18 minutes a night at ES, theres not much he could downgrade from.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think with good, offensive wingers, Danault could be our #2 center.

Not the ideal, but better than him being our default #1....

I might be biased when I say this, because i like the kid, but his offensive upside, particularly his foot speed, seems to be a bit underrated.

Right now, he's on pace for a 50 pts season, which is pretty decent for a #2 center.

Danault skating and his puck control at high speed is a nice asset.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd be thrilled if he can become a regular 40-50 point C. Asking for more is a lot IMO.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Were I MB, I'd have after a top 6 center like Staal Schenn or O'reilly and have gone Drouin-Danault-Galchenyuk as a 2nd line. That's imo, the best way to fully utilize and develop Danault as a top 6 player.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'd be thrilled if he can become a regular 40-50 point C. Asking for more is a lot IMO.

especially with little PP time and not the greatest wingers.

Most importantly is if he's a 2nd line C on a contender? If he's got great wingers and behind a dynamite first line then possibly. More likely a 3rd on a legit legit contender. But I won't argue with anyone who thinks he's a real deal #2. Great acquisition.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Let's see what can Drouin do at the wing, before saying that he's not as good as Danault.

You can have all the compete level/karakter/liderchip in the world, that won't trump the talent.

Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. How the hell could we possibly make intelligent judgements with mismatched lines, players in the wrong positions, ice time being doled out in seemingly random fashion, and results getting demotions and failures earning promotions.

The laws of physics don't operate in Montreal.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Everyone is right and everyone is wrong. How the hell could we possibly make intelligent judgements with mismatched lines, players in the wrong positions, ice time being doled out in seemingly random fashion, and results getting demotions and failures earning promotions.

That settles it. Delete all threads!

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

As well as the laws of space and time. I'm sure 30 other GM's are having a good laugh, and most of the players in the league as well. If you factor it all in, we are the laughing stock of the hockey world right now, there is no better joke out there, we are it. Nobody of any impact or importance will sign here as a UFA now.

Reactions: groovejuice

badi

Jan 21, 2008
He leads this team in pts ,,,,,
he is awesome '''

Signed Mark Karakter Bargevin

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So what your saying is your draft analysis of his ceiling wasn't a ceiling at all?

Ceiling, that word doesn't mean what you think it means.

His ceiling right now is first line centre. Is he likely to make that? No, its a very low probability IMO... but as an 18 year old, his ceiling (ie best case scenario) remains high, even if the likelihood of getting there is low.

I agree he likely tops out as a second line centre, but there is still a chance he could be more.

It's a projection and when Subban was drafted, Timmins didn't say "this guy's ceiling is a Norris calibre defenseman". At his draft it appeared that his ceiling was a 3rd line C and that is because during the NCAA games that I saw he didn't flash any offensive tools outside of deflections.

He's flashing more playmaking and vision that he did in his draft year meaning that there has been a progression either in the players skills or confidence at that level.

If he plays the same next year and doesn't progress, his projection can very well change again.

Otherwise we would just say every players ceiling is the best at their position as it's possible but very unlikely.

I still think he tops as a 3C guy but at least I'm willing to change my observation of a player based on what I see.

One thing is for sure that he's gonna need to find some more layers in his game to create offense at the pro level because if you can't challenge goalies as a shooter, you get easier and easier to defend.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad