Phillip Broberg

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
That's literally why Jackson sat on his hands. JJ wanted to leave those deals for the incoming GM. That was clearly the wrong decision. Had he just focused on them and signed them, this all could have been avoided. End of day it's mostly on JJ. He was overseeing the end of the Holland era and all those last moves had his stamp on them, not Hollands. Examples the Brown deal, The Knoblauch hiring, these were JJ moves.

He's been productive as their 3C for sure. He's not the 2C in Buffalo.

True but then I saw this. They're implying McLeod is their 2nd most valuable centre because of the defensive draws he takes.

1000008838.jpg

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Broberg is a good player - and will be for a long time. Oilers fumbled that one.

Ryan Mcleod - don't even get me started lol - that guy is perfect for Buffalo. Put some points up in Buffalo, skate around fast - but no pressure or physical play

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Really nice of the Oilers to bring Broberg along slowly and give him that extra year of experience in Bakersfield. It really benefitted the kid and when he was called up for the final time in last years playoffs he was ready to hit the ground running.

One of the few times the Oilers didn’t rush a guy and instead let him develop properly so he could maximize his potential. Nice work to the Oilers. Kudos on your work with Broberg. He’s a gem.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I wonder how in the bag McDavid will be to resign next summer if and when Edmonton crashes out in round 1 or 2. Looks older, slower and lacking any cap space or futures to improve.

Broberg and McLeod are looking like increasingly big loses.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Sarcasm isn’t your strong suit is it?
Honestly with the amount of trolling and nonsense that goes on in these Oilers threads it's hard to tell who is legitimately stating an opinion they believe and who is just saying things with the specific intention of stirring the pot - there are two "Oilers suck, lol!" threads going right now

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wonder how in the bag McDavid will be to resign next summer if and when Edmonton crashes out in round 1 or 2. Looks older, slower and lacking any cap space or futures to improve.

Broberg and McLeod are looking like increasingly big loses.

I don't think draisaitl would have re-signed long term without strong assurance from mcdavid that he's staying.

I'm just speculating though, because it's what I would have done and it appears the logical thing to do.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think draisaitl would have re-signed long term without strong assurance from mcdavid that he's staying.

I'm just speculating though, because it's what I would have done and it appears the logical thing to do.

He can't just go "sike!" and leave Draisaitl alone in Edmonton. Can you imagine, though?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I bet they thought they were closer to winning than this. This version of the Oilers doesn’t look like a contender. And that supporting core is only getting older into their 30s. Hyman, Ekholm, RNH, Kane and Nurse. The majority of their key players are past their prime. McDavid going to carry around an increasingly older and washed up squad?

• Haha
Reactions: NeverForget06

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Getting tired of this excuse. Broberg didn't want to be an Oiler because he didn't get a chance to play, while at the same time the Oilers coaches kept icing inferior meat and potato players that couldn't move the puck out of their own zone. Consequently, he asked his agent to see whether a trade would give him playing time.

Finally a new coach came in, decided that plugs like Desharnais etc weren't at Broberg level, gave him minutes and subsequently he asked for a one way deal and 1.8 million per year. Seems reasonable to me. The Oilers wouldn't match and instead kept him waiting. Eventually Armstrong took advantage of the situation, gave him an offer he couldn't refuse and that was the end of his tenure with the oilers. To me this is a failure thats 100% on Oilers management.

He wanted to sign for 1.8 Million and on a one way contract. Oilers felt he was not worth it. Fact.

So lets stop this Broberg didn't want to be an Oiler, he wanted to, they just couldn't agree on his value and more importantly playing time and league. Broberg felt that he belonged in the NHL and that the Oilers played inferior players while he continuously got demoted to the AHL. He felt that it wasn't in his best interest. Based on what we have seen so far this season, few would side with the Oilers here. Broberg is an NHL player and 1.8 million would have been a steal...

Your narrative does not match reality.

1) He asked for a trade AFTER Knobloch was already head coach, when he was demoted to the AHL in order to get him playing time.
2) He was called up for the playoffs because even though they knew he was ready, they couldn't call him up for cap reasons. But even in the playoffs, he started as the 7th defenseman.
3) It was only Desharnais' foot speed being badly exposed vs Dallas (ROUND 3) that got Broberg a sniff at playing time.
4) It was widely reported, by "Oilers mouthpiece" reporters that they were closing in on a deal ~$1.8M, but that the Draisaitl contract was the priority. It's definitely not true that they didn't value him at $1.8M... the rumors were it would be 1 year at 1.8 or more years at a bit more IF and DEPENDING on what they could get Draisaitl signed for. Oilers dragged their feet because they were hoping Drai's deal would let them afford a 2 year deal on Broberg.

Any time you hear Holland or any other Oiler management talk about Broberg he was held in high regard... but it is absolutely true that they slow-played him too many times and for too long AND they inexplicably had a huge blindspot to the offer sheet.

You can certainly blame Oilers management, but just get it right ok...

I personally think Oilers management thought his performance during the playoffs would convince Broberg he was "part of the team going forward" and would repair Broberg's perception that he wasn't given a fair chance. In fact I think his performance during the playoffs vindicated his earlier position and widened the gap between his self-worth and how he'd been treated.

Reactions: McShogun99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad