Value of: Philip Broberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Can not recall where I was reading it, but a comment about broberg potentially being available at some point to improve the Oilers team. May have had something to do with Konecny I don't know. The jist was that he was developing slower than the Oilers needed him to and as such might be available to help improve the team faster than his development was allowing for.

So simple question.

What is he worth in a trade? 22 year old; 6 foot 3, 200 pound LHD that hasn't exactly progressed in their development the fastest.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I thought Holland said in a presser that he’s not really looking to trade him? Something about needing 7d and Stauffer has also been talking lots about how the Oilers should/would deploy Broberg next season.

There’s really no point in trading him, you’re not saving any cap by moving him and there’s no cap space to trade him as part of a major move. He’s cheap and definitely ready to take a spot in the line up. Oilers are done with any major moves for the summer unless they move Foegele, Kulak or Ceci which doesn’t sound like is happening.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He’s 22. I have seen enough to say he say I wouldn’t be trading him right now where his value is not optimal.

He hasn’t progressed as fast as you would hope for out of an 8OA but he has had some setbacks with injuries.

Truly, unless you are one of the top 10OA Dmen with very high end skill set, you are looking at draft +5 before they are truly NHL ready. From
what I’ve seen he has all the tools, now we see if he can put them all together. These next couple (2) years will identify if he is a player or not. I think he will be a solid 2nd pairing guy but I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He’s 22. I have seen enough to say he say I wouldn’t be trading him right now where his value is not optimal.

He hasn’t progressed as fast as you would hope for out of an 8OA but he has had some setbacks with injuries.

Truly, unless you are one of the top 10OA Dmen with very high end skill set, you are looking at draft +5 before they are truly NHL ready. From
what I’ve seen he has all the tools, now we see if he can put them all together. These next couple (2) years will identify if he is a player or not. I think he will be a solid 2nd pairing guy but I wouldn’t bet the house on it.

This is exactly why they would explore trading him.

In 2 years, Draisaitl will be a UFA (or re-signed) and McDavid will be on the last year of his contract. I think it's fair to assume both get significant raises, especially Draisaitl. Which is why they are trying to win it all within the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Full disclosure, I am not advocating for or against a trade, just enquiring as to what his potential or perceived value would be

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Full disclosure, I am not advocating for or against a trade, just enquiring as to what his potential or perceived value would be
Probably a 2nd round pick right now. He is a #7 d that is capable of playing decent bottom pair minutes if heavily sheltered.
He mostly has the same question marks about him as he did when he was drafted but is still young.
Management sees him as being more valuable but I don’t think other teams do.
For this I don’t think he gets traded although I think his value only continues to drop from here.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This is exactly why they would explore trading him.

In 2 years, Draisaitl will be a UFA (or re-signed) and McDavid will be on the last year of his contract. I think it's fair to assume both get significant raises, especially Draisaitl. Which is why they are trying to win it all within the next 2 seasons.

Agreed, provided we are not getting a “dump” type return or prospects. If we’re packaging him to land significant upgrades in starting goalie or current top 4 D… I’m all for it.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Opinions vary along the lines of how patient a fan is of young D men. Some feel he is right on schedule and has high upside. Some feel he should be showing more by now, especially the vaunted offensive talent that has been largely absent from view so far. Broberg has a lot of tools. Great size and very smooth wheels. Not overly physical but doesn’t shy away. He is already quite solid defending the rush. Rarely if ever gets walked. Positionally we have questions about his head for the game. Either he has the brain CPU to figure it out or he doesn’t. He hasn’t had enough reps for us to know yet.

He’s been developed properly (quite refreshing for the Oilers actually) so I personally would not trade him now as I think the investment is about to pay good dividends. I would value him no worse than a mid 1st round pick. Some would feel less than that. Like a second round pick value.

Given how cash strapped the Oilers are I think Holland plans to keep him with the hope that he pushes Kulak off the third pair. He can play RH side in a pinch as well. He’s also good depth if there are injuries as the pipeline is getting quite bare.

ElPrimeTime pretty much nailed the only scenario in which trading him would make sense.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Why Holland can still in place ?
Since 2020 He's got a chance to win and he never really fixed Oilers problems.
Don't know what owner doing. If they don't win in the next 2 years Probably they will lost Draisaitl and Mcdavid due to a bad GM. Time to owner to make some change.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I thought Holland said in a presser that he’s not really looking to trade him? Something about needing 7d and Stauffer has also been talking lots about how the Oilers should/would deploy Broberg next season.

There’s really no point in trading him, you’re not saving any cap by moving him and there’s no cap space to trade him as part of a major move. He’s cheap and definitely ready to take a spot in the line up. Oilers are done with any major moves for the summer unless they move Foegele, Kulak or Ceci which doesn’t sound like is happening.

Agree with this... we are most likely at status quo until TDL

Unfortunately, the wise course of action (which looks like we won't take) would be to trade one of Kulak or Ceci AND Foegele, and use the money to:
1) Sign Bouchard for a 3-4 year bridge at $4.5-5.5M rather than the (future-crippling) 1 year bridge that is currently being discussed
2) Have room for two of our prospects/AHLers to join the team as bottom-6 wingers
3) Put Broberg into a full time role with Neimelainen as our 7th D (and sign another $1M vet D as insurance)

Those moves would still leave us with a very strong top 6 (no change from current projected) and strong enough top-4 (no change from current projected), but importantly, would give us ~$7-8M in available cap at the deadline. ... enough for another Ekholm-level D or elite checking C, or goalie.... or even two of those if Ceci or Campbell are out the door at that point.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Can not recall where I was reading it, but a comment about broberg potentially being available at some point to improve the Oilers team. May have had something to do with Konecny I don't know. The jist was that he was developing slower than the Oilers needed him to and as such might be available to help improve the team faster than his development was allowing for.

So simple question.

What is he worth in a trade? 22 year old; 6 foot 3, 200 pound LHD that hasn't exactly progressed in their development the fastest.
Holland said he isn't looking to trade him.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Don't know what owner doing. If they don't win in the next 2 years Probably they will lost Draisaitl and Mcdavid due to a bad GM. Time to owner to make some change.

A little bit unfair in my opinion... or at least shows you weren't following Oilers close enough to know what mess Holland inherited:

1) Centers: McD, Drai, RNH... no change, still the huge strength of the team
2) Wingers: Best were Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Khaira and Caggiula (F'n yikes!!!), now --> Kane, Hyman, Brown, Foegele, Janmark, etc... HUGE IMPROVEMENT
3) Defense: Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse + scrubs, is now --> Ekholm, Bouchard, Nurse and that's with Holland dealt a big blow with our $4M #1b Dman in Klefbom retiring at age 26
4) No goalie --> no change
5) No cap including huge anchors like Lucic @ $6M --> no change, but this is the first year Holland has been out of LTIR + dead cap jail. He was heavily, heavily hamstrung by Chia here.

Holland's had A LOT of work to do.... if he'd had a healthy Klefbom (instead of say Ceci or Kulak) and hadn't whiffed on Campbell (his biggest mistake) we could have had a cup by now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What problems hasn't he addressed? He brought in Hyman, Kane and Brown to help our anemic winger status. The first 2 are on good deals for their production. The latter, we will see. He traded for Matthias Ekholm to help shore up the blueline and that deal has looked excellent so far. He brought in good depth defensemen in Kulak, Ceci and Keith (even if he wasn't what he used to be). Aside from bungling the goalie situation by signing Campbell and giving Nurse a couple million too much, he has been pretty good.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Agree with this... we are most likely at status quo until TDL

Unfortunately, the wise course of action (which looks like we won't take) would be to trade one of Kulak or Ceci AND Foegele, and use the money to:
1) Sign Bouchard for a 3-4 year bridge at $4.5-5.5M rather than the (future-crippling) 1 year bridge that is currently being discussed
2) Have room for two of our prospects/AHLers to join the team as bottom-6 wingers
3) Put Broberg into a full time role with Neimelainen as our 7th D (and sign another $1M vet D as insurance)

Those moves would still leave us with a very strong top 6 (no change from current projected) and strong enough top-4 (no change from current projected), but importantly, would give us ~$7-8M in available cap at the deadline. ... enough for another Ekholm-level D or elite checking C, or goalie.... or even two of those if Ceci or Campbell are out the door at that point.
There are reports that the Oilers core players mentioned Foegele as someone they want back so he is not getting traded. Kulak makes the most sense to get traded with the Oilers having a clear replacement for him but he had a decent regular season and a fairly strong playoffs, doubt Holland moves on from him.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He does not have the hands or brain to make it as a top pairing guy in the NHL. Probably not as a solid second pairing guy you'd want on a contender either.

Skates great, but has horrific balance. Horrific hands. Non-existence confidence. Holland has said he is not being traded and he will be given a full shot at playing this year, which I assume means in every game with regular minutes up until the TDL.

I doubt he has much value in the league at this point. Spend some time watching him play and see his max potential is a third pairing guy. You can't teach someone to make smart plays with the puck or be creative.

Point is he's not getting traded, close the thread.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
A little bit unfair in my opinion... or at least shows you weren't following Oilers close enough to know what mess Holland inherited:

1) Centers: McD, Drai, RNH... no change, still the huge strength of the team
2) Wingers: Best were Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Khaira and Caggiula (F'n yikes!!!), now --> Kane, Hyman, Brown, Foegele, Janmark, etc... HUGE IMPROVEMENT
3) Defense: Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse + scrubs, is now --> Ekholm, Bouchard, Nurse and that's with Holland dealt a big blow with our $4M #1b Dman in Klefbom retiring at age 26
4) No goalie --> no change
5) No cap including huge anchors like Lucic @ $6M --> no change, but this is the first year Holland has been out of LTIR + dead cap jail. He was heavily, heavily hamstrung by Chia here.

Holland's had A LOT of work to do.... if he'd had a healthy Klefbom (instead of say Ceci or Kulak) and hadn't whiffed on Campbell (his biggest mistake) we could have had a cup by now.
Holland give a very bad contract to Darnell Nurse same year than Makar and got more money.
Due to this He can't fixed what missing in his team

What problems hasn't he addressed? He brought in Hyman, Kane and Brown to help our anemic winger status. The first 2 are on good deals for their production. The latter, we will see. He traded for Matthias Ekholm to help shore up the blueline and that deal has looked excellent so far. He brought in good depth defensemen in Kulak, Ceci and Keith (even if he wasn't what he used to be). Aside from bungling the goalie situation by signing Campbell and giving Nurse a couple million too much, he has been pretty good.
You think Nurse contract is good ???
Goalie situation to addressed.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Not sure what his value is. If I had to guess probably a mid first round pick. I think hes lost value. But there are probably still some GM's who covet his tools. Probably still has some value because hes on a ELC

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Not sure what his value is. If I had to guess probably a mid first round pick. I think hes lost value. But there are probably still some GM's who covet his tools. Probably still has some value because hes on a ELC
Probably some added value having some development underneath him and being a defenseman.

Blue chip defense assets generally tend to depreciate slower due to their moderate learning curve compared to forwards picked in the same range

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Nah, his value is maybe a 2nd to a team that really values him, or a third round pick for the average team.

Sandin was basically a more talented Broberg and got Boston's 1st in a historic season, which is basically a 2nd round pick. Sandin also showed way more talent than Broberg has so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad