Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Wonder how different the mentality is for a reliever when their offense is scoring runs vs aren’t scoring. A 1 run game is a 1 run game but coming in in the late innings in a 1-0 game vs a 6-5 game has to have a different feel. The systematic collapse of the bullpen was strange and I have to wonder if they felt too much pressure because there was no chance of the offense bailing them out. It was clear that Thompson waited too long to pull some pitchers and then threw guys in their over their head. Nothing like entering a 1-0 game late with the bases loaded and one out or less
EXACTLY

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Robert had a 33(!)% strikeout rate with a 6% walk rate (and that was an improvement on his career walk rate). I’m all for getting talent where you can, but that is a stylistic nightmare with what’s already on this roster.

He still has great raw power but his max EV has dropped off 4-5 mph in the last year two years in the prime of his career. Something is off.

Sheesh, I didn't realize. I amend my statement. He's not what they need with what we already have.

Robert stinks. Soto doesn't.

If they let Alvarado go then they need to try to find cheap hard throwers with an out pitch to reload the bullpen. That's how you uncover guys like Hoffman or...well Alvarado

I definitely want Soto above all else.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
A few of the guys moved at the deadline, including Arozarena, played a lot better after a fresh start.

I don't blame anyone for not paying attention to every team all of the time, but Arozarena had been on a tear for the better part of 2 months when he was traded. He just started the year as poorly as a batter can.

That's one of the major reasons I wanted him. I hoped that March and April would hold his value back.

Reactions: Rebels57

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just want them to find some way to blast Walker into the sun (don't even really feel like we need to replace him, run Wheeler/Nola/Sanchez/Suarez/Painter if he's ready), and open two spots in the starting lineup for guys who take a ton of pitches, put balls in play, and work walks. Get runners in scoring position, and turn Bryce/Schwarber/Turner/Castellanos's 1 run jacks into 3 run bombs. Not sure if that's LF/CF, or one of those and 3B, or even (super dark horse) C, but we need to stop relying on heavy artillery to win the game. A run still counts as 1 if you manufacture it.

Reactions: Rebels57

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008

Stott doesn't appear in this article. There's a big part of me that wonders whether they're open to moving Turner over to 2nd if the bat that ends up available that they like is a SS. But 2B is more and more a defensive position. It's complicated.

I don't even know if people are dead set against this anymore, but I just want to be clear that I think all framing of what we would and wouldn't be do needs to revolve around who ends up available. The better the specific option, the more you're willing to do to accommodate.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Stott doesn't appear in this article. There's a big part of me that wonders whether they're open to moving Turner over to 2nd if the bat that ends up available that they like is a SS. But 2B is more and more a defensive position. It's complicated.

I don't even know if people are dead set against this anymore, but I just want to be clear that I think all framing of what we would and wouldn't be do needs to revolve around who ends up available. The better the specific option, the more you're willing to do to accommodate.
Stott is Bryce’s bestie. He ain’t going anywhere. :laugh:

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just want them to find some way to blast Walker into the sun (don't even really feel like we need to replace him, run Wheeler/Nola/Sanchez/Suarez/Painter if he's ready), and open two spots in the starting lineup for guys who take a ton of pitches, put balls in play, and work walks. Get runners in scoring position, and turn Bryce/Schwarber/Turner/Castellanos's 1 run jacks into 3 run bombs. Not sure if that's LF/CF, or one of those and 3B, or even (super dark horse) C, but we need to stop relying on heavy artillery to win the game. A run still counts as 1 if you manufacture it.

It's probably time to move on from leadoff Schwarber too if they can't add a big bat to the middle of the lineup. Not that he's bad there, but they need to try something else and he might provide even more value hitting behind Bryce.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I still don’t think I’d give up on Stott just yet.

Yeah I am more out on Bohm and Marsh than I am Stott. At least you're still getting excellent defense and baserunning with Stott. I think a new hitting coach would benefit him more than most guys in the lineup.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Meh, I still wouldn’t be so quick to move Alvarado. You’re just gonna be looking for another one at the trade deadline.
They don’t trust him anymore and he’s not cheap. His fastball velo dipped this year but he had it back the other night so there’s a world he rebounds but as always he’s only good if he’s throwing strikes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Stott’s probably going to need an approach change. He just doesn’t hit the ball hard enough. His no stride approach really helped his contact numbers but I think he sacrificed his raw power in doing so.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Marsh is on the strong side of a platoon. Definitely would not get rid of him. Don't want to get rid of Stott either. I would move Bohm though potentially.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They don’t trust him anymore and he’s not cheap. His fastball velo dipped this year but he had it back the other night so there’s a world he rebounds but as always he’s only good if he’s throwing strikes.
One bad year and he’s cooked completely though? That’s a discussion for them, but bullpen arms can be fickle that way year to year. It’s basically how they ended up with him, and ended up with him in the role he once had

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
One bad year and he’s cooked completely though? That’s a discussion for them, but bullpen arms can be fickle that way year to year. It’s basically how they ended up with him, and ended up with him in the role he once had
You said it. Relievers are fickle. He could be cooked or he could rebound again like he did two years ago, but he’s making too much to make a blind bet (like Seranthony).

His strikeout rate dipped 13% this year. That is Kimbrel alarming.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's probably time to move on from leadoff Schwarber too if they can't add a big bat to the middle of the lineup. Not that he's bad there, but they need to try something else and he might provide even more value hitting behind Bryce.

That's entirely possible. I was primarily focused on roster decisions rather than lineup decisions, but on some level, knowing how you're shaking up the lineup based on who's already here could have an impact on the roster decisions.

Of course, all of that is in turn reliant on who the manager is, and I'm wondering if we're looking at a switch at the top being the most impactful decision of all.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
why do i feel like if they miss on Soto they really aren't gonna change anything..hell even if they get him I don't feel like they will change much

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
1728582532513.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad