Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't give two shits about Aldegheri, but moving Klassen before any contract pressure even given the risks feels wrong. Then I'm not the biggest Estevez fan on top. That's a lot.

Yeah. This. I don't remember liking anything they've done since last season ended minus extensions. Oh well.
Gotta spend money to make money. Phillies need to sure up the bullpen and trading dudes a few years away from being in the majors with neither really likely to be impact players is a risk I'm willing to take even if one or both exceeds expectations. Better options out there I'm sure but I'd wager the price would be higher for them so then the question becomes is whomever else available that much better than Estevez and worth whatever else they'd want in exchange?

Reactions: Rebels57

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Nice

Chisholm was traded for less, btw
Plus Chisholm is also 26 and under team control for the next 2 seasons as well. I don't like rental trades for non-elite talent that gives up assets that could have been used for non-rental acquisitions. Estevez is like 30/31 and a pending FA.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Well I guess as long as Hays hits and Estevez pitches en route to a WS crown, Klassen and Dominguez don't matter much

(Yikes)

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
Surprised to see how lukewarm the response on the Estevez is. He’s been one of the better relievers in baseball the last 2 seasons and can close. And he’s 6’6 and looks like a beast and has a charisma to him in interviews.

Klassen and the other dude have had nice seasons but both are still so far away.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Estevez > SerAnthony (he just doesn’t have it this year)

Maybe Klassen becomes a good MLB player 5 years from now but this is the window for the Phillies right now. They didn’t give up one of their top prospects so I’m fine with the trade

Not sure how I feel about Austin Hays yet

The Phillies just need to focus on regrouping and getting healthy for the playoffs. I’m hoping for one more trade though to try and put them over the top

ETA: forgot about Phillips…fingers crossed on this guy. CGSO aren’t exactly common anymore and he’s had as good of a start to his MLB career as we could have hoped for

Last edited:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Estevez and Dominguez seem to have similar peripherals. Not really a fan of reliever rentals.

Don't know how to feel about Klassen. Pretty quick turnover for him, though.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Estavez is the closer they needed. And for god sakes, keep him in that role!

Was at the game. Between the trade, Hays phillies debut, the big 4th inning, and Phillips...it was a big night. Hope they carry the momentum into this week.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He wasn’t wrong.

I know very little about the two prospects involved, but what I do know is that, unlike the Flyers, the Phillies have their championship window wide goddamned open. We aren't likely to be a credible WS threat when Klassen and Aldegheri are hitting their primes, because most of this core will be leaving theirs. We need to strike now, and if Estevez is the guy Dombrowski thinks will push us furthest over the top, then LFG. Wouldn't mind one more addition to the bullpen, but then again I've always felt that it's functionally impossible to add too many bullpen arms, because relievers are voodoo in the same way goalies are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad