Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
He’s hit lefties quite well, not a rental, has ability to play all the outfield positions if needed and tells me they’re going to go after a couple bullpen arms.

I’d say yes.

I only remember him playing left but he is solid out there. His bat has been coming around as well. Always liked him. Definitely a gamer.

Thoughts on the two going to the O’s? Both pitchers, right?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I only remember him playing left but he is solid out there. His bat has been coming around as well. Always liked him. Definitely a gamer.

Thoughts on the two going to the O’s? Both pitchers, right?
He’s mostly played Left but I believe he’s played the other positions in the past.

Pache is an outfielder. He’s a noted @Magua guy. JAG, if even that.

Seranthony has his moments. I don’t think he’s been nearly as bad this year as he’s talked about on here but the organization seemingly doesn’t trust him anymore.

Reactions: PDX Flyer

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Is this good?
Not a big fan of trading Seranthony, but Hayes is definitely a right handed compliment to Marsh. Clearly they will be platooning. He's having a nice year vs lefties this year in particular, .894 ops. Fielding isn't a black hole so there's that.

With Pache gone, Rojas is here for the long haul. We're Rojas guys, of course we like this trade.

Also clearing out Seranthony shows me they're going to go big on RP this deadline. Hopefully they don't go too stupid and trade Painter for a cLoSeR or something

Pache was leaving either way so it comes down to what you think of Dominguez (that's rhetorical around here lol). At least they have their prospects untouched for the next move.
Don't like trading him. They should be hoarding big arms with high leverage potential, not trading them away. That said, addressing the platoon outfielder is good. Definitely a give to get type deal, and I appreciate that there's an actual logical plan.

I just fear they overpay on prospects for relievers

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
He’s mostly played Left but I believe he’s played the other positions in the past.

Pache is an outfielder. He’s a noted @Magua guy. JAG, if even that.

Seranthony has his moments. I don’t think he’s been nearly as bad this year as he’s talked about on here but the organization seemingly doesn’t trust him anymore.

Looks like a good trade for both. Hays was on short time with the likes of Kjerstad and Cowser taking playing time but he is definitely a big leaguer with more in the tank.

The birds have a decent track record of taking other teams bullpen arms and gettting max value out of them. They certain need some new juice in that pen

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not a big fan of trading Seranthony, but Hayes is definitely a right handed compliment to Marsh. Clearly they will be platooning. He's having a nice year vs lefties this year in particular, .894 ops. Fielding isn't a black hole so there's that.

With Pache gone, Rojas is here for the long haul. We're Rojas guys, of course we like this trade.

Also clearing out Seranthony shows me they're going to go big on RP this deadline. Hopefully they don't go too stupid and trade Painter for a cLoSeR or something

Don't like trading him. They should be hoarding big arms with high leverage potential, not trading them away

Seranthony cannot be counted on in high-leverage situations anymore. He's proven it time and time again the last season and a half. His command is just WAY too inconsistent. They are going to add better bullpen arms in other trades too.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hays appears to be a perfect fit for platooning with Marsh. They better get one of the very best RP's available though considering they didn't move any prospects in this deal.

Actually, f*** it let's go get Luis Robert Jr. too lol.

Reactions: BiggE

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It’s difficult for me to like this team less, but this one did that too. Always liked Seranthony. I know I’m in the deep minority on both of those, but that’s ok.

Seranthany is a high potential reliever that has performed like a league average reliever. He's gotten worse seemingly every year since his rookie year though. Tough call but he wasn't a big contributor right now

A lot of this year’s struggles can be reasonably considered within normal variance. He’s streaky, yes. But the stuff is still there and we can prove it.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Career low walk rate for Seranthony this year lol. "Can't throw strikes!"

The problem with him this season has been an uptick in homers. Velo and K rates are career norms. HR has spiked. He has the stuff. In the playoffs you need guys that can get hot like this in the bullpen. If a profile like Dominguez was available for the Phillies to trade for, they should be clamoring for it. They traded from a (relative) weakness to address a weakness, and that now makes a relative weakness a clear issue now. The bullpen isn't just a slumping strength anymore. Everyone screaming about Soto is going to see him a lot more now

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Career low walk rate for Seranthony this year lol. "Can't throw strikes!"

The problem with him this season has been an uptick in homers. Velo and K rates are career norms. HR has spiked. He has the stuff. In the playoffs you need guys that can get hot like this in the bullpen. If a profile like Dominguez was available for the Phillies to trade for, they should be clamoring for it. They traded from a (relative) weakness to address a weakness, and that now makes a relative weakness a clear issue now. The bullpen isn't just a slumping strength anymore. Everyone screaming about Soto is going to see him a lot more now

I also like Soto. As far as position players, Schwarber is one my favorite ever. Not sure I have any affinity for a single other one. Notice I don’t post in this thread often. :laugh:

When you dig into it, a lot of his struggles this year come down to things like the Sinker getting hit harder, but it’s still moving and spinning. That’s baseball sometimes. Imagine if the NHL didn’t fight tooth and nail about access to any form of data and we could check things like this out.

Reactions: DancingPanther

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I also like Soto. As far as position players, Schwarber is one my favorite ever. Not sure I have any affinity for a single other one. Notice I don’t post in this thread often. :laugh:

When you dig into it, a lot of his struggles this year come down to things like the Sinker getting hit harder, but it’s still moving and spinning. That’s baseball sometimes. Imagine if the NHL didn’t fight tooth and nail about access to any form of data and we could check things like this out.

I liked the Soto signing because I like swinging for those reliever fences. If those archetypes hit, they are a huge asset and affordable. Soto also has the stuff too. No qualms with him as a player profile. Hell, maybe these new innings he sees can get him to pull it together- sometimes that's all it takes for a reliever. A few chances in high leverage, a few good innings, and boom.

What I'm saying is if I had a bullpen it would be a bunch of Sotos, Alvarados, Kerkerings, Dominguezes, Fujinamas etc. Sometimes those players hit and sometimes they don't. That's life. Sometimes they have hot streaks and sometimes they don't. That's also life

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Losing already. Awesome.

Top of the and 1st we've got a stupid play by Bryce on a pick-off that put a runner in scoring position, a 1-0 deficit, and then an error by Noodle-Arm Turner.

Edit: Turner error overturned by the challenge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad