Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Because you left out the word “below”? This isn’t a case of them wanting a fair market deal. This is a case of them wanting the player to sign a favorable deal that only benefits the team and lets the player assume all the risk for below market value. Other than that though, you were spot on….
How do we know ?

Bruins don’t leak shit and anyone can make up anything

Did you know I was an astronaut and invented honey mustard sauce in space when I was cleaning the refrigerator and some honey floated into mustard and presto

It’s summer - these people need crap to talk about

I’m at zero believing anything on this Swayman deal by podcasts media

The intersection of logic & observation ;

Swayman is really good top 5 to me

If the Bruins will go 8 years he should be 6-1O M over that time

Seems foundationally easy

8 years
60-68 M ballpark

How paid bonus/yearly comp
Lockout
NMC

Etc

Unless someone’s not in love it will work

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't think there's anyone to blame.

Swayman's asking to be paid like a top3 goalie.
The Bruins are offering top7 goalie money.

Recent events definitely suggest it's heating up though. Sweeney is not returning calls to Gross. Swayman's camp is leaking details of the negotiations to the media. Next we're probably going to hear that Sway is considering playing in the KHL next season. Hopefully, this is all just last ditch posturing before they reach a compromise.

My one concern is that Gross has a history of not being able to work things out with Sweeney (Krug, Acciari, Swayman arbitration).
Listen to Dom’s last podcast to hear what he thinks of Lewis Gross. Warning: profanity involved.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How do we know ?

Bruins don’t leak shit and anyone can make up anything

Did you know I was an astronaut and invented honey mustard sauce in space when I was cleaning the refrigerator and some honey floated into mustard and presto

It’s summer - these people need crap to talk about

I’m at zero into anything on this Swayman deal

The intersection of logic & observation ;

Swayman is really good top 5 to me

If the Bruins will go 8 years he should be 6-1O M over that time

Seems foundationally easy

8 years
60-68 M ballpark

How paid bonus/yearly comp
Lockout
NMC

Etc

Unless someone’s not in love it will work
I think you’re lying because I believe the actual inventor of honey mustard was former Red Sox mananger Bobby Valentin when he also created the wrap and by default, the burrito.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I think you’re lying because I believe the actual inventor of honey mustard was former Red Sox mananger Bobby Valentin when he also created the wrap and by default, the burrito.
Haha

Heading out to eat with 6 of my buds including original HF member Chris Gorski. The dude is one of the smartest humans on the planet and very funny as hell

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
They certainly overpaid (in regression year term and AAV) the 2 UFAs they brought in this summer and took on too much cap and term with the backup goalie. Those overpays are making it difficult to sign their franchise goalie right now.

Like I have been saying for months, Swayman will get $9M AAV.
I don't think the Bruins current cap has anything to do with the Swayman negotiations.

Dom has already pointed out they have over $9m in cap space if they wanted to go there, but they don't. If they had $20m in cap space they still wouldn't give Swayman what he's asking.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Does his agent have a history of setting benchmark contracts for RFAs through UFA years? curious as someone mentioned his agent does play hardball negotiations ...has he ever hit a homerun? (Krug doesn't count he was a UFA I think)

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Can anyone answer this question: If Swayman signs a contract in Europe for the season, does his RFA status expire after the season or does it slide until he plays another season in the NHL? I tried reading the CBA and I could not tell for certain.

If the RFA status continues until he plays another NHL season, then Swayman has effectively no leverage here. No team is giving him an offer sheet. If he takes 3 million to play in Europe (why ever risk KHL with the political climate) he will just return in the exact same position he is now.

How does Swayman turn down 8x8, $64m guaranteed? What better option does he have?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Bruins allegedly offered 6M 8 years
Sway allegedly want 9.5 M

Ok..

Bruins offer 7.25....Sway camp counters at 8.5.... Bruins offer 7.75... Sway camp says 8.... Bruins say 7.875.....Sway camp says yes.... See how easy this can be ?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Can anyone answer this question: If Swayman signs a contract in Europe for the season, does his RFA status expire after the season or does it slide until he plays another season in the NHL? I tried reading the CBA and I could not tell for certain.

If the RFA status continues until he plays another NHL season, then Swayman has effectively no leverage here. No team is giving him an offer sheet. If he takes 3 million to play in Europe (why ever risk KHL with the political climate) he will just return in the exact same position he is now.

How does Swayman turn down 8x8, $64m guaranteed? What better option does he have?

He was never offered 8x8. Boston offered 6 x 8.

Swayman would be a UFA in two years if he left, he won’t. At worst he would sign his QO and take to arbitration

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Listen to Dom’s last podcast to hear what he thinks of Lewis Gross. Warning: profanity involved.

I'll be honest, If I were a player, Lewis Gross is exactly the type of agent I would want on my side, but not Lewis Gross himself.

The only issue I have through this process is Swayman complaining about how the arbitration process went. The rest is playing out.

It was Gross' responsibility as Swayman's agent to prepare him for how the process works and the things that could be said about him in that process. But did Swayman really need to be prepared? The horror stories of what goes on are out there. You would think he would have heard about the Tommy Salo arbitration no?

Gross knew what he was asking for in arbitration. Gross also knew what the Bruins were offering in arbitration. Gross also knew that the arbitrator always splits the difference pretty much down the middle. Why did he refuse to do that and think he could actually win in arbitration?

If Swayman was really shocked at the arbitration process, he was let down by his agent and he didn't do his own homework.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't think the Bruins current cap has anything to do with the Swayman negotiations.

Dom has already pointed out they have over $9m in cap space if they wanted to go there, but they don't. If they had $20m in cap space they still wouldn't give Swayman what he's asking.
They could get to $9.6 million by adjusting players

Bruins Cap.PNG

Reactions: BMC and PlayMakers

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Does his agent have a history of setting benchmark contracts for RFAs through UFA years? curious as someone mentioned his agent does play hardball negotiations ...has he ever hit a homerun? (Krug doesn't count he was a UFA I think)
To answer my own question (puckpedia is very good ...) ..no he doesn't and I can't see the Bruins setting the standard here

Reactions: Gordoff

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
They certainly overpaid (in regression year term and AAV) the 2 UFAs they brought in this summer and took on too much cap and term with the backup goalie. Those overpays are making it difficult to sign their franchise goalie right now.

Like I have been saying for months, Swayman will get $9M AAV.
The goalie with too much term and cap was part of the package deal to get the first round pick. I can see Sway getting 9 in an escalating package that increases through the contract (which is what you may be saying using AAV), but he does not get 9 straight up starting this year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The goalie with too much term and cap was part of the package deal to get the first round pick. I can see Sway getting 9 in an escalating package that increases through the contract (which is what you may be saying using AAV), but he does not get 9 straight up starting this year.
I’m not sure why it matters to us how the cash is paid out (other than signing bonus in the lockout year I guess). AAV is all that matters for our purposes.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They went to the mat with Swayman last season in arbitration. It clearly left a bad taste in his mouth.

The club lost a decent chunk of their leverage when they dealt Ullmark, but with Swayman being restricted, not unrestricted they still hold some of the cards for sure.

Swayman has played this smartly. He’s saying all the right things. Showing up to events, putting on a happy face.

It’s been an interesting chess match to watch.

It’s his prerogative to get every penny he can.

The only parallel I can somewhat draw from my time as a fan is when Raycroft played hardball post lockout and they brought Thomas back from Europe.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They went to the mat with Swayman last season in arbitration. It clearly left a bad taste in his mouth.

The club lost a decent chunk of their leverage when they dealt Ullmark, but with Swayman being restricted, not unrestricted they still hold some of the cards for sure.

Swayman has played this smartly. He’s saying all the right things. Showing up to events, putting on a happy face.

It’s been an interesting chess match to watch.

It’s his prerogative to get every penny he can.

The only parallel I can somewhat draw from my time as a fan is when Raycroft played hardball post lockout and they brought Thomas back from Europe.
I happen to agree with Dom. They really didn’t go to the mat - they could have elected a two year award and still held Swayman’s rights afterwards. But they didn’t. They were in a terrible cap spot last year and couldn’t do a Swayman long term extension without major surgery to the team. Swayman elected to go to arb, not the Bruins, instead of coming to a short term agreement. Thats on the agent, not the Bruins.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I'll be honest, If I were a player, Lewis Gross is exactly the type of agent I would want on my side, but not Lewis Gross himself.

The only issue I have through this process is Swayman complaining about how the arbitration process went. The rest is playing out.

It was Gross' responsibility as Swayman's agent to prepare him for how the process works and the things that could be said about him in that process. But did Swayman really need to be prepared? The horror stories of what goes on are out there. You would think he would have heard about the Tommy Salo arbitration no?

Gross knew what he was asking for in arbitration. Gross also knew what the Bruins were offering in arbitration. Gross also knew that the arbitrator always splits the difference pretty much down the middle. Why did he refuse to do that and think he could actually win in arbitration?

If Swayman was really shocked at the arbitration process, he was let down by his agent and he didn't do his own homework.

“It’s all based on statistics,” Swayman said. “The comparables are different from what you want to hear. Some of the things they pull up aren’t necessarily true, for that matter.”

I mean maybe it just comes down to them not being truthful? Bruins also countered with a number of 2 million. Insulting. Sweeney and Gold's inability to manage the cap isn't his problem.. Please. 47-20-7 in the previous two years and they are offering Vladar money. Garbage, Add the two up and I'm sure it has more to do with that then them picking on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pia8988

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So if Sway gets goalie yips here like Lacher, Carey, and Peeters- and Sorcerer Bob can get Korpi back to where he was showing up on top 10 goalie lists 4-5 years ago they could trade him ?
Damn you to hell.

Seeing those names, and others, might make drink. I won’t. But jeeeeesh!

I was trying to get sober in the early nineties. Hard fought battle. One that was NOT made easier by Bruins teams in the 90, nor those players.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I wonder if, due to arbitration resentment, Sway wants his new contract paid in dimes. No signing so far because Jacobs hasen't been able to find enough of them yet....

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad