Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Hold the damn phone.

What’s the first thing that you notice here?

6FFE20E1-B9AF-4E78-9964-239BB8B46B76.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: DancingPanther

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Exactly.

I’m getting Mandela’d.
Nah. It was once called 'ice cream'. Breyers was the first major one to switch from using cream (or majority cream) and using instead like oils and butterfat and had to switch to calling it a frozen dessert.

At that time Turkey Hill still was an 'ice cream'. Looks like they've gone down the same road.

Also has gotten a lot smaller. Even before the recent 'shrinkflation' trend over the last 2 years the standard was a half-gallon which got shrunk down, but up until a year or so ago I'm pretty sure the new 'standard' was at least 1.5 quart

Looks like they're even under 1.5 now.

• Wow
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I was reading an article that had this thought in it:

Shamus Clancy said:
The defining moment of this era, however, comes from a player no longer on the Fightins. That honor belongs to Rhys Hoskins, whose thunderous home run in Game 3 of the 2022 NLDS against Atlanta, the bat spike heard 'round the world, signified that the Phillies were unquestionably back

Is this controversial? I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, but it is what I think about the same way my lasting memory of a play from 2008 is Matt Stairs. Likewise the play from the Eagles 2017 run is Patrick Robinson, not Ertz or Graham.

I feel like outside of the fanbase it would be Harper's NLCS HR. But not within it?

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

Is this controversial? I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, but it is what I think about the same way my lasting memory of a play from 2008 is Matt Stairs. Likewise the play from the Eagles 2017 run is Patrick Robinson, not Ertz or Graham.

I feel like outside of the fanbase it would be Harper's NLCS HR. But not within it?
It's close, but I'd still go Harper because it wasn't just the HR. It was also laying off the pitch before that. I just remember more of that than the Rhys one, but the bat spike was great.

For the birds I'd go Graham and Philly Special. Iirc the special wasn't a game changing moment, but it was just so cool to see a team have the balls to try that in the Superbowl. Add to that that it's your team and they pulled it off? I'll never forget yelling "Holy shit!!" With my brother in law.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

If Hoskins had performed with any type of competency up to that point i'd possibly be inclined to side with you but to me his explosion mostly came from him being dog water up to that point in the playoffs. I think he was 1-20ish up to that point in the postseason with some defensive miscues.

I may just be a curmudgeon though.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
If Hoskins had performed with any type of competency up to that point i'd possibly be inclined to side with you but to me his explosion mostly came from him being dog water up to that point in the playoffs. I think he was 1-20ish up to that point in the postseason with some defensive miscues.

I may just be a curmudgeon though.

I didn't give one single shit what had happened before that swing in the moment. I can promise you that. :laugh:

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Speaking of 2008, I remember being a little surprised when baseball references (I think) said the wild pitch and error where Bruntlett went from 1st to 3rd was the single biggest play of the World Series. I guess it makes sense. It was just the Phillies year and it seems like typically Philadelphia teams would be in the opposite end of a play like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad