Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: Red October (2024 Edition)

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

200.webp

BTW, if you want to feel better about the Phillies bullpen (plus Pinto with a good job tonight). The Astro's bullpen has blown the lead in 4 games. The only game they've won this year is the no-hitter where the starter went all 9 innings.

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy, but what's going on in Oakland and would it be possible for the Phillies to benefit from it? They sent Esteury Ruiz to the minors after having a good Spring and getting off to a hot start and leading the league in SBs last year. Apparently he wore some kind of bracelet that bad mouthed the owner or something and then inexplicably was demoted. IDK about you but I think having that guy in CF over Rojas or Pache would look pretty good, or even to platoon with them and Marsh or something. I would assume if I am him and I would be demanding a trade pretty soon.

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Team's former top(ish) prospect returns nearly a decade later and makes a positive contribution. :shocked:

Here's my tl;dr scouting report from 9 years ago lol.
Pinto has had a great year. If he can get the slider going, he could be something. Great changeup. Reading will be a nice challenge for him.

I think this will just a flash in the pan, but still pretty crazy to essentially go from free agent in the Caribbean Series to pitching in the Big Leagues 1.5 months later (he was mid-90s at the Caribbean Series btw so maybe there is one more level if you really want to hope).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy, but what's going on in Oakland and would it be possible for the Phillies to benefit from it? They sent Esteury Ruiz to the minors after having a good Spring and getting off to a hot start and leading the league in SBs last year. Apparently he wore some kind of bracelet that bad mouthed the owner or something and then inexplicably was demoted. IDK about you but I think having that guy in CF over Rojas or Pache would look pretty good, or even to platoon with them and Marsh or something. I would assume if I am him and I would be demanding a trade pretty soon.
You have the wildest ideas. He's a niche player. Oakland already moved him out of CF and he has no pop. He's a bench player.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You have the wildest ideas. He's a niche player. Oakland already moved him out of CF and he has no pop. He's a bench player.

Pache is twice the fielder Ruiz is and Rojas is twice the fielder Pache is lol.

Ruiz doesn't walk either. Dude is all speed
I mean that's fine, I would take him as a bench player too. I think that the fielding difference is obvious, not arguing with that, but Rojas' predictably bad start to this season and end to last season is a cause for concern. I don't care how good your fielding is if you are an automatic out every time you bat. Ruiz's first full season was last year and he had a good spring and was off to a hot start. This team went to the WS with an OF that included Kyle Schwarber.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I wore the shit out of that hat as a kid.
Same. And their blue spring training ones.

I I don't care how good your fielding is if you are an automatic out every time you bat.
Normally I would agree, but Rojas is a literal all time defender by the numbers. It's so important to have him out there. He's that good.

Last year he lapped the league in defensive runs saved in less than a half season

Reactions: FLYguy3911

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Normally I would agree, but Rojas is a literal all time defender by the numbers. It's so important to have him out there. He's that good.

Last year he lapped the league in defensive runs saved in less than a half season
I'm not suggesting that Rojas isn't great in the field or that we should just get rid of him or anything like that. Having Ruiz (if he's even available) makes this team better. If you don't want him to start in CF regularly, he can platoon with Marsh and spell Rojas and Castellanos. Late inning off the bench to steal a bag. I assume he's looking for a way out of Oakland and if he is the Phillies should be in.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It might not be a bad idea to send Rojas down for a few weeks to see if he can find his ability to make contact in a lower pressure environment.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Neither team plays tomorrow and the Reds go to NY for Friday while the Phillies go to DC. Seems lined up to play tomorrow

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It feels like every D3 —> MLB success story is a Pitcher. Are there any position players besides Tony Womack?
Kratz and Coste. :laugh: Two minor league grinders who stuck around long enough and hit just enough to crack it as backup catchers.

You have Chas McCormick. He played D2 at a powerhouse, but that's still pretty rare.

I don't think the disparity is too surprising. You either have the stuff to pitch in the big leagues or you don't. It's much harder to scout hitters due to the level of competition. Hitting development is more rep based and if you aren't facing high velocity/spin for an extended period (you'll be lucky to see someone touch 90 much less sit mid-90s), it's going to be tough to climb the ladder. Pitchers also tend to have more late bloomers due to growth spurts, physical development, pitch development, etc. Pitchers are more likely to slip through the recruiting cracks. At least pre-portal. Even Miller ended up at a D1 school eventually.

And most of the D3 success stories are local ones. Probably a Northeast, underscouted angle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad