Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Super Bowl LVIII (Barf!) and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Those rules (except the weird score clause) are because they’re going to the low impact Kickoffs. It turns out giving NFL players a free 20-40 yards of buildup time means CTE for everyone. The new positions don’t work for Onsides. You can’t just place a bouncing football 27 yards down the field.

Last year, each team only returned 1.1 kicks per game. You’ll get significantly more of those this season. The downside is 1-3 plays per team per year changing meaningfully. You couldn’t find more of a non-issue.

The interesting bit here is what teams decided to use as KO strats. Early returns seem like there are going to be 2 distinct schools of thought. One is just kicking the thing out of bounds. It wouldn’t surprise me if they try to send a memo preventing teams from doing that on purpose, but good luck with enforcement.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I get why they did it but essentially making the onside kick success rate down to single digit success rate under the new rules. Not having a plausible chance of getting the ball back has killed potential late game chaos scenarios.

It’s gimmicky but they’re actually warming me up to like something that XFL has/had with the one play to get 15 yards or whatever it is.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Those rules (except the weird score clause) are because they’re going to the low impact Kickoffs. It turns out giving NFL players a free 20-40 yards of buildup time means CTE for everyone. The new positions don’t work for Onsides. You can’t just place a bouncing football 27 yards down the field.

Last year, each team only returned 1.1 kicks per game. You’ll get significantly more of those this season. The downside is 1-3 plays per team per year changing meaningfully. You couldn’t find more of a non-issue.

The interesting bit here is what teams decided to use as KO strats. Early returns seem like there are going to be 2 distinct schools of thought. One is just kicking the thing out of bounds. It wouldn’t surprise me if they try to send a memo preventing teams from doing that on purpose, but good luck with enforcement.
I'm totally with you on player safety and completely understand why they changed regular kickoff rules. I draw the line at telling teams when you're allowed to call a play or not, and in doing so taking out legitimate strategy from a game.

What they should have done instead of this is got rid of it all together and went with some 4th and 18 type, one and done style conversion from the kickoff line in order to keep the ball. Why have this in between time?!

I get it's only a few plays but it's that level of micromanagement that irks me. My mind can be changed if there is data showing head trauma/injuries still happening on onide kicks, but then again I'll still say why keep them at all?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really dig deep into statistics/analytics in the NFL or really watch a whole lot either outside of the Eagles opposed to college football.

But for me to the NFL the changes don’t really bother me because how much of an edge is there really to gain with field position & kick off returns?

In college they’ll just find kick off guys with big enough legs to kick to the back of the end zone or out of the end zone completely to get a touchback just to take a touch away & avoid potential chaos. If you pin a college offense within their ten yard line. It’s obviously a lot harder for a college offense to drive a ball 90+ yards down field for touchdown or even a score. You’re almost telling yourself if you can pick up 10-20 yards off offense & then punt the ball like 40 yards with a minimal return that’s a win. I don’t feel like that’s the strategy or mindset in the NFL. As you probably have far more confidence in your offense to drive more in that situation &/or your punter to kick further.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
1000003673.jpg

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I'm totally with you on player safety and completely understand why they changed regular kickoff rules. I draw the line at telling teams when you're allowed to call a play or not, and in doing so taking out legitimate strategy from a game.

What they should have done instead of this is got rid of it all together and went with some 4th and 18 type, one and done style conversion from the kickoff line in order to keep the ball. Why have this in between time?!

I get it's only a few plays but it's that level of micromanagement that irks me. My mind can be changed if there is data showing head trauma/injuries still happening on onide kicks, but then again I'll still say why keep them at all?

That exact 4th & 15 option is suggested every year at the league meetings by Jeffrey Lurie. :)

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

I thought most of the damage happened in much shorter closing distances.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Is peak EDGE years shorter than the peak years of an OT? I think the longevity of some of the top tackles lately lowered the market price a bit. Sure it's still hard to find top OTs but it's just a thought.

I would expect athleticism to matter more at EDGE in particular, yes.

While we’re at it, remember when this guy fell because of “character concerns” like weed and admitting he took money from an SEC school? Feels like he’s got one hell of an understanding of how the system actually works to me.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I would expect athleticism to matter more at EDGE in particular, yes.

While we’re at it, remember when this guy fell because of “character concerns” like weed and admitting he took money from an SEC school? Feels like he’s got one hell of an understanding of how the system actually works to me.

He gamed the hell out of the system.

• Love
Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes