OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Will Select Sixth Overall In Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Welp about to put my faith in the Flyers going forward for teams in this city.

giphy.gif

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I dont agree with the narrative that nobody will want this job. There are only 32 head coaching jobs. Regardless, going to be a rough few years at least. Something I havent seen in my 20 plus years of watching this team.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Brady from this weekend:

pass-chart_BRA371156_2020-POST-18_1610253407057.jpeg

But I would be extremely cautious about blanket comparisons between Arians and Pederson-called plays. Very apples and oranges. I'm not sure that's fair to Hurts.

I'm not going to write you a research paper, no. But what I will tell you because I happen to remember it is that leaguewide, the Completion % of passes thrown Deep Middle is massively (10-15% iirc) higher than either Deep Left or Deep Right. Those are the most valuable throws you can get.

that is what defenses invite. They invite the middle of the field throws. Basically nfl defenses understand the game and how its tailored to qb's. YOu have to gie the qb's something so might as well give them the middle of the field where inaccurate throws, and tip balls have a greater chance of leading to a turnover. If you get a qb who is accurate on the sidelines its game over, you can't stop that.

when RG3 was a thing here i use to listen to cooley talk about how his rookie year was fools gold. He consistently said that anyone in the nfl can beat man coverage. The trick is can you beat 2 deep high safety when its 3rd and long. THen all of a sudden that middle of the field isn't so open for guys with legs. WHen you have legs, a safety has to play up and that means single coverage somewhere. RG3 could find that guy all day, Once the legs were gone he was done.

I also don't think what we saw was enough to get a proper evaluation. Nor is 2 game sample size enough to explain Jimmy's trade value retention. If Hurts is named the starter and has a whole camp getting reps as a starter I think then we can starter properly evaluating him. BUt from what we have seen so far there is a lot to be positive about.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
when RG3 was a thing here i use to listen to cooley talk about how his rookie year was fools gold. He consistently said that anyone in the nfl can beat man coverage. The trick is can you beat 2 deep high safety when its 3rd and long. THen all of a sudden that middle of the field isn't so open for guys with legs. WHen you have legs, a safety has to play up and that means single coverage somewhere. RG3 could find that guy all day, Once the legs were gone he was done.

This used to be the thinking, yes. Now it's generally understood that the best offenses just avoid the 3rd and longs.

The legs are a real weapon and definitely matter though. That's a clear Hurts plus.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
burrow was one of the top prospects coming out of HS. He bounced around a bit, and then got in a great situation, and put up some historic stuff.

I mean, just saying look at like Tom Brady...all the guy did in school was win, and he got dicked around for a minor league 3rd baseman. Sometimes the situation has a factor.

Like Tua vs Burrow. One player looked like a good QB in ~8 games. Other not so much, and that guy played in stacked alabama for a couple years. I'm not holding my breath on Lawrence, who plays for a stacked team.
The situations still are what they are, Burrow being the top recruit doesn’t really translate into the NFL.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This used to be the thinking, yes. Now it's generally understood that the best offenses just avoid the 3rd and longs.

The legs are a real weapon and definitely matter though. That's a clear Hurts plus.

right avoiding 3rd and long is a smart strategy. SO is scoring a td on every play. This is sports and things dont go according to plan. SOmetimes you need to convert a 4th and 26 ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad