OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Playoffs - Eagles Will Select Sixth Overall In Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This presser

BQM6jEZ-UJLgGUuvrNkYUPevItk1kqVWdg7Xu79rTxYdwJ2uaeh6ngKe5_TPupflmkyd2waGcjftNd5-7HcWIA
837b19bb9832ec9d93754e5032bb6e05.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you include all the players Howie drafted and signed as UDFAs since 2016 (before that it's hard to determine responsibility, he probably had a major role from 2011-2013, none in 2014 and 2015), he's got a pretty good record.

Teams generally get two starters and 1-2 solid reserves out of a typical draft, maybe a little better when you draft in the top ten or have extra picks. People exaggerate the value of the draft, go look at the rosters of playoff teams and they're a mix of draft picks, UDFAs, SFAs, a couple top FAs, some 2nd and 3rd tier FAs. One reason is many players don't hit their stride until their 4th or 5th year, so their original team doesn't want to pay the price of keeping them when they have a cheaper or better alternative like Vaitai - or like Hicks, they can't stay healthy.

While the GM makes the final roster decisions, they're basically determined by the evaluation of the coaches, coaches lobby for the players they want on the final 53. So when players leave due to waivers, it tends to be because they're not valued by their position coach. Fulgham for example probably got cut due to bad practice habits that alienated his coaches.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How many top ten to fifteen picks did Howie have since 2016?
Because the majority of pro bowl players, especially the ones who make it early in their career, come out of that group.
Lane #4, Cox #12, for example.
Wentz #2 (and he played at a pro bowl level).

Not saying Howie is a genius, though I suspect some of his draft mistakes are due to input from his coaches (the scouts complained about that, but you draft for your coaches, not your scouts), but I've seen far worse at drafting - even teams that are great at drafting have their off years. And UDFAs, SFAs, practice squad claims, etc., are all part of roster building.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
One thing to keep in mind with these draft discussions is that from all accounts, Stoutland has extremely heavy say in OL scouting. So while I would for example give Howie only partial blame for Dillard, it also means I would give him partial credit for some of the later hits.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Off the top of my head: Indy, KC, Minnesota, Dallas, Baltimore, LAR, Buffalo, Pitt, Miami, New Orleans, Green Bay, New England, LAC, SF, Tennessee and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

NO? 2017 was an all timer. but trading 2 firsts for marcus davenport? WHen is howie making mistakes like that? 18 , 19.. 20....mccoy.... thats it.

Minnesota has been great at assembling a solid roster. Solid rosters don't win super bowls, solid rosters with great qb's do. ANd they have never been able to get a great qb.

Miami? TUa over herbert? how do you think that will age? wilkins? trading fitzpatrick? yeah they hit it out of the park with some trades but my god that roster is depleted of depth and talent. what picks have hit?

landry has had the best career of anyone they drafted since jake long.

in depth anaylsis can pick apart any of your picks..... this is where i am getting at. Every team has their jjaw .

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Have more than five teams drafted more than 1 pro bowler in the last five years?

We’re not counting Carson because I’m sure you’ll admit doesn’t count cause he’s a bum.

why do you think i would count wentz as a bum? because of his performance this year? the one in which he finished dead last in all major categories.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Here is a hypothetical scenario, would you be ok with Howie getting sacked but in return Joe Banner would be coming back to be the face of the franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad