OT: Philadelphia Eagles: Jojo’s Favorite Time Of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I should honestly say in that time period. They took a WR three years in a row in the early 2000’s. Charles Rodgers (#2 2003), Roy Williams (#7 2004), & Mike Williams (#10 2005). They all flamed out to the point leading up to the Calvin Johnson pick in 2007 where he was the obvious pick at #2 people were just scared of being too scarred of those previous experiences. But he obviously lived up to the hype.

ROy williams was a stud in Detroit however. He killed the eagles. Those were some god awful teams in detroit in that era.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I should honestly say in that time period. They took a WR three years in a row in the early 2000’s. Charles Rodgers (#2 2003), Roy Williams (#7 2004), & Mike Williams (#10 2005). They all flamed out to the point leading up to the Calvin Johnson pick in 2007 where he was the obvious pick at #2 people were just scared of being too scarred of those previous experiences. But he obviously lived up to the hype.

If you're talking in that compressed time frame, yes, absolutely. It reminded of that Kids In the Hall sketch where Bruce McCullough plays Stanley, who takes on a hulking tough guy time and again, and gets punched out each time. His girlfriend (played by Mark McKinney) keeps telling him, "Stanley, stay down!" Eventually everyone, including the tough guy, yell at him, "Stay down!" after repeated knockdowns.

That's what the Lions drafts during that period remind me of when they kept taking WRs in the first round.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If you're talking in that compressed time frame, yes, absolutely. It reminded of that Kids In the Hall sketch where Bruce McCullough plays Stanley, who takes on a hulking tough guy time and again, and gets punched out each time. His girlfriend (played by Mark McKinney) keeps telling him, "Stanley, stay down!" Eventually everyone, including the tough guy, yell at him, "Stay down!" after repeated knockdowns.

That's what the Lions drafts during that period remind me of when they kept taking WRs in the first round.

the only one that I would Criticize was the Mike Williams pick. They did the right thing however. When you have a young QB ( Joey Harrington) you need to surround him with weapons and o line to put him in the most advantageous situation to succeed ( Basically the opposite of what the Browns did with Tim Couch) THey picked Rogers and at the time no one batted an eyelash . Next pick was HOF WR Andre Johnson

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
People are whining about Jalen Hurts being asked to workout at other positions too. I get it but I think this one is a more legit one.

In general though I’m not really sure of the success rate of a college QB changing to a skill position in the NFL at least in the modern era. Like Randle El & Edelman are two success stories off the top of my head.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
What would it cost to acquire OBJ from the Browns? I understand the rumblings this past year in CLE, but it is CLE after all. I also understand the team needs to draft players and get younger, but OBJ is only 27 and you could expect 5+ years of high-level play from him, more than enouh to justify moving the pick. Would they take Alshon in a deal to get the dollars to work? Alshon + 2020 1st + 2021 X? If he is in fact on the block, Cleveland would want to move him out of the AFC I presume.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
What would it cost to acquire OBJ from the Browns? I understand the rumblings this past year in CLE, but it is CLE after all. I also understand the team needs to draft players and get younger, but OBJ is only 27 and you could expect 5+ years of high-level play from him, more than enouh to justify moving the pick. Would they take Alshon in a deal to get the dollars to work? Alshon + 2020 1st + 2021 X? If he is in fact on the block, Cleveland would want to move him out of the AFC I presume.

Veto veto veto veto SO HARD

You don't want OBJ. Talent only takes you so far - this dude is bad news.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
People are whining about Jalen Hurts being asked to workout at other positions too. I get it but I think this one is a more legit one.

In general though I’m not really sure of the success rate of a college QB changing to a skill position in the NFL at least in the modern era. Like Randle El & Edelman are two success stories off the top of my head.
I know he started out as a QB, but didn’t Pryor have a good year at WR for the Browns?

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I like the people complaining how he moved guys up without games being played. Like one guy is going to have extensive knowledge on 200+ players who play 12+ games a year to this point.

Like he isn’t in the process of catching up on more film & reaching out to NFL FO people who are now fully in draft mode themselves.

The NFL in general doesn’t really weigh much emphasis on in season live scouting with all the game film available these days. They’re often playing catch up themselves in watching film once the season end & that’s why even their opinions are moving too.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly

I like the people complaining how he moved guys up without games being played. Like one guy is going to have extensive knowledge on 200+ players who play 12+ games a year to this point.

Like he isn’t in the process of catching up on more film & reaching out to NFL FO people who are now fully in draft mode themselves.

The NFL in general doesn’t really weigh much emphasis on in season live scouting with all the game film available these days. They’re often playing catch up themselves in watching film once the season end & that’s why even their opinions are moving too.

When you say they do you mean scouts?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
When you say they do you mean scouts?

I mean scouts aren’t as important in football as say like hockey as live watching games isn’t nearly as important to them with game film available. So the higher up’s in the front offices aren’t nearly as blind in the process.

You can focus more on your team & season in the NFL & still do a deep dive on the draft process after the season in the NFL because of the game film. So even on their end that’s why opinions shift around this time on player’s even though there’s no games being played.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Some colleges also won't release their coaching tape until their season is over. Good luck evaluating a DB from solely broadcast tape.

And part of a scout's job is to travel and network. They're talking to high school coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, etc etc. It's a ton of work outside of film.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Some colleges also won't release their coaching tape until their season is over. Good luck evaluating a DB from solely broadcast tape.

And part of a scout's job is to travel and network. They're talking to high school coaches, strength and conditioning coaches, etc etc. It's a ton of work outside of film.

Yeah I would say the scouts going to campus’ year round for non-game events is probably the most important part they serve. Essentially gathering off the field intel & just identifying names of interest to watch.

So it’s not say they don’t serve a purpose but the dynamic is set up differently & the higher up’s are relying on them in a different sense than say hockey. The higher up’s in hockey are probably more at the mercy of their scouts in making final decisions than they are in football.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I mean scouts aren’t as important in football as say like hockey as live watching games isn’t nearly as important to them with game film available. So the higher up’s in the front offices aren’t nearly as blind in the process.

You can focus more on your team & season in the NFL & still do a deep dive on the draft process after the season in the NFL because of the game film. So even on their end that’s why opinions shift around this time on player’s even though there’s no games being played.
I had no clue it was like this. Makes sense though.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Veto veto veto veto SO HARD

You don't want OBJ. Talent only takes you so far - this dude is bad news.
I’d be lying if I said I tracked it closely but I think a lot of it is overblown and I’d tend consider what a few years of maturity and a stop in CLE does to the mindset. No doubt in my mind Carson would get him the ball consistently. If this was AB or TO or something similar, I’d be with you; I don’t put him in that bucket but maybe I’m misinformed.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Think I heard recently the 17 weeks could mean 2 byes which would push the SB back a week, resulting in it being played on a holiday weekend and therefore giving most people monday off.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
If we are going to have 17 games I think it might need 2 bye weeks.
I've been kicking around this idea for a few years of going to 18 games with one or even two bye weeks, assuming that the owners are going to force it no matter what.

The salary cap would go up, of course, and probably roster size, including how many you can dress on game day, but my idea is a Games Played cap -- there is no minimum number of games a player can play in, but nobody gets into more than 16 during the regular season.

It allows older and dinged up or injured players to sit a game without losing face, keeps the stats and records within reach of the old ones (obviously the rule changes and spread principles have obliterated many already), and it massively, massively increases strategy.

A team with a dominant QB has to expose the backup for two games -- do they try to sneak him in early against bottom-feeders, or risk holding him out until the end of the season hoping they'd've clinched by that point? Do you tie your starting LT to your starting QB? If the weaker teams see more of the backups, doesn't that make for closer games? And more intense disrepect hype?

It would complicate and deepen fantasy leagues and gambling in general. Most importantly, it would allow plentiful opportunity for coaches and general manages to screw up, in myriad unpredictable ways.

Failing that, I'd rather they not change the current playoff format or schedule. It feels like a sweet spot.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad