OT: Philadelphia Eagles: Jojo’s Favorite Time Of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've been kicking around this idea for a few years of going to 18 games with one or even two bye weeks, assuming that the owners are going to force it no matter what.

The salary cap would go up, of course, and probably roster size, including how many you can dress on game day, but my idea is a Games Played cap -- there is no minimum number of games a player can play in, but nobody gets into more than 16 during the regular season.

It allows older and dinged up or injured players to sit a game without losing face, keeps the stats and records within reach of the old ones (obviously the rule changes and spread principles have obliterated many already), and it massively, massively increases strategy.

A team with a dominant QB has to expose the backup for two games -- do they try to sneak him in early against bottom-feeders, or risk holding him out until the end of the season hoping they'd've clinched by that point? Do you tie your starting LT to your starting QB? If the weaker teams see more of the backups, doesn't that make for closer games? And more intense disrepect hype?

It would complicate and deepen fantasy leagues and gambling in general. Most importantly, it would allow plentiful opportunity for coaches and general manages to screw up, in myriad unpredictable ways.

Failing that, I'd rather they not change the current playoff format or schedule. It feels like a sweet spot.

The games played cap will be a byzantine nightmare to track, especially for the league following every team. I was open to it as an interesting wrinkle at first but over time I like it less and less, hence why I favor two bye weeks, even with just one extra game.

As I see it, the elite players and best teams aren't going to be hit hard by an extra game. Those are the players and teams who can most easily handle an extra game; those are the guys who set the pace instead of trying to follow it. It's the below-average teams and players who will have a hard time. The teams/players that don't have as much talent and are filled with players who are prone to break themselves down while trying to keep up with better talent. Asking them to play an extra game is potentially asking a lot of guys to shorten or end careers. As a Redskins follower I've watched that process annually. By week 8 guys begin breaking. By week 12 their replacements start breaking. When the subpar/average players who are supposed to protect a QB or get open for him to make a play can't because they're all worn down, then that QB is at risk. It snowballs. When guys who aren't as good do too much to keep up with better players, they either get beaten a lot or they shred themselves at a high rate.

So an extra bye week would help with that situation. Ideally, they just stay at 16 games

Reactions: Here4ThaList

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Veto veto veto veto SO HARD

You don't want OBJ. Talent only takes you so far - this dude is bad news.

same here but of course howie is going to turn into brand and make panic moves like overpaying for a corner, maybe overpaying for a receiver too, i mean the midlevel moves werent hurting us because we had the cap to fill the roster, it just bad timing for injuries. it was working even before 2017, when we didnt make panic moves because we had the cap space to fill the holes. now i feel the howie's big ego is going to get the best of him and try to this team into a dream team again which will hopefully finally cost his job and get the coaches fired.

i just feel like lurie doesnt has learned anything from 2011.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Lurie hasn't learned anything in 9 years? C'mon. That takes an active historical ignoring of interviews, new articles, the Superbowl itself...

Howie has said they are retooling, looking for talent for Wentz, they have holes. He seems very level about where they are right now. He admitted they haven't drafted well. He says he likes how many picks they have because they need more chances to do better this draft and fill holes for less dollars. Interviews he seems on point and I think he's a weasel. I'm not a fan of his, don't make me defend him.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Lurie hasn't learned anything in 9 years? C'mon. That takes an active historical ignoring of interviews, new articles, the Superbowl itself...

Howie has said they are retooling, looking for talent for Wentz, they have holes. He seems very level about where they are right now. He admitted they haven't drafted well. He says he likes how many picks they have because they need more chances to do better this draft and fill holes for less dollars. Interviews he seems on point and I think he's a weasel. I'm not a fan of his, don't make me defend him.

Great post. Great post, indeed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ewww...I don't want to f***ing know what Jerry goddamn Jones is thinking about in the shower.

4Sno.gif

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Hamler’s not running? Sweet! Fall, please.

@LegionOfDoom91 How big of a fan are you? I understand the drops bothering people, especially Penn St fans, but he really might be functionally faster than Ruggs within the context of routes.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hamler’s not running? Sweet! Fall, please.

@LegionOfDoom91 How big of a fan are you? I understand the drops bothering people, especially Penn St fans, but he really might be functionally faster than Ruggs within the context of routes.

He’s going to run at Penn State’s pro day. Penn State clocked him at 4.27. which surprisingly isn’t a team record.

ERpEGNmWkAIfH4v

He had issues with drops like pretty much the whole WR core these past two years. But his route running definitely improved this past year off of the previous year. He’s not a bad blocker for a small guy either. Just in general he’s pretty fearless which can work against him too. As he got knocked out of the Ohio State game last year & the Indiana game this year. He never really makes a business decision to live another day.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Do you like any CBs at 53?

It’s hard to predict who might be available this early, but let’s assume Okudah, Fulton, Henderson, and Diggs are definitely gone.

I would jump at Jeff Gladney, Bryce Hall, AJ Terrell, and Cameron Dantzler.

I can’t give you a real answer on Jaylon Johnson, Darnay Holmes, K’von Wallace, or Troy Pride yet, but I like them all to some degree. I know nothing about Essang Bassey yet.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
It’s hard to predict who might be available this early, but let’s assume Okudah, Fulton, Henderson, and Diggs are definitely gone.

I would jump at Jeff Gladney, Bryce Hall, AJ Terrell, and Cameron Dantzler.

I can’t give you a real answer on Jaylon Johnson, Darnay Holmes, K’von Wallace, or Troy Pride yet, but I like them all to some degree. I know nothing about Essang Bassey yet.
Don’t like Igbinoghene at all? Seems like he has potential. Idk if he’d be that good early on though.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad