Proposal: PHI-PIT-WPG 3 way

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I'd love to get Maatta on the Jets, but there's no way they trade Ehlers coming off a .53p/g 19 year old rookie season, nevermind adding. Also no reason for the Pens to trade Maatta. Both good young players that are important to their teams.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That is exactly what I said in my post. 65 points pace not playing on the third line meant he was playing with Scheifele or Perreault / Little and Wheeler for the remaining 42 games. And for anyone who thinks he got his points because he only benefited from playing with better players, Ehlers consistently drives the play on almost every shift. I also think his defensive play and awareness was very good all year.

Even if Ehlers did benefit from better players, so what. He is going to be playing with better players anyways.

I got to watch him a lot in Halifax. Such an exciting players.

Schenn had the better year. He finished 11th in LW scoring. So let's no pretend that lots of people produced like he did.

Odd trade by the OP.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers played mostly with Scheifele and Perrault though...

no he didn't we wish he did, if he did he would probably be considered in the calder conversation. (note i didn't said he will win ).

This is a no go, i named my son after him :handclap:
He can't play for any other team except the JETS ;)

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
no he didn't we wish he did, if he did he would probably be considered in the calder conversation. (note i didn't said he will win ).

This is a no go, i named my son after him :handclap:
He can't play for any other team except the JETS ;)

Well I mean he did. You can look at Behind the Net.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Määttä is meh and overrated, wouldn't trade Ehlers for him even 1 for 1. Ehlers is very underrated over here, as is common for players of Jets.

You're comparing a winger to a Dman. Contrary to popular opinion on this forum, wingers aren't anywhere near as valuable as Dman, especially a RW.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Ehlers was basically on pace for 60 points playing with Scheifele and one of Wheeler/Perreault last season. Playing two months with Burmistrov and Thorburn destroyed his production, but did help his defensive game somewhat. I think he can hit around 50 points with a full season next to Scheifele next year as a conservative projection. Brayden Schenn has only eclipsed that mark once as of last year and he'll be 25 going into next season. In no way shape or form do we trade Ehlers with his upside and add on top of it for another defenseman. We would sooner trade Tyler Myers once he's healthy for a LHD or Trouba if things went sour during contract negotiations.

So what, Schenn actually put up 59 points in 80 games playing on shut down line going up against the other teams top line EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and still not only out pace him he BEAT him in every facet of the game. Pump Where tires all you want, right now Schenn >> Where AINEC

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
It looks like you stopped paying attention to Ehlers after the Penticton tournament. Ehlers scored 8 points in his first NHL 10 games, then got demoted to the third line for 30 games to "learn" the defensive game where he only scored 5 points. Most of those 30 games featured Paul Maurice's consistent but inexplicable use of "Third line Jesus", Chris Thorburn. Many of those third line games also featured the world's most gifted puck handler with near zero offensive IQ Burmistrov. Freed from those two players who are known as the destination where pucks go to die, Ehlers then scored 10 points in the following 10 games when promoted to the 2nd line.

So the first 10 games Ehlers scored at a 65.6 point pace, and the final 32 games at a 64.06 pace. The 30 games spent with at least one, if not two of the world's worst offensive players saw him score at a 14 point pace despite making many spectacular plays.

I think avoiding Thorburn and / or Burmistrov this coming season, Ehlers scores a minimum of 60 points and I would put my money on him finishing at a 75 point pace. He is one of the fasted players in the NHL and he handles the puck and creates plays at top speed.

Back to the OP, this deal is the worst for both Pittsburgh and Winnipeg. I do think the Jets give up the best player. The fact Philadelphia gets 2 draft picks when they are giving up the oldest player with the least upside boggles the mind. BTW, I am a fan of both Maatta and Schenn.

You do realize that Schenn without a doubt put up top line winger stats while playing on our **** down line right???? Defensemen hold more value than wings but with Mattas health issues he and Schenn are pretty even. Both are worth more than Where right now

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So what, Schenn actually put up 59 points in 80 games playing on shut down line going up against the other teams top line EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and still not only out pace him he BEAT him in every facet of the game. Pump Where tires all you want, right now Schenn >> Where AINEC

Ehlers' trade value is considerably higher than Schenn's. Think about how highly you value Provorov even though he hasn't proven anything in the NHL. Elite prospects hold very high value, and that's where Ehlers stands today.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maatta is so overrated by pens fans. Hes done nothing in 2 years. Hes consistently had bad games after bad games.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ehlers' trade value is considerably higher than Schenn's. Think about how highly you value Provorov even though he hasn't proven anything in the NHL. Elite prospects hold very high value, and that's where Ehlers stands today.

Myers > Provorov. What has Provorov ever done in the NHL? Is he going to win the Calder? No? Myers > Provorov.

:popcorn:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

So what? We're comparing a rookies numbers to someone with 5 seasons of NHL experience, of course we're going to use projection methods when he doesn't even play the full season because of a freak accident. Even with what was actually about a month and a half of play with Thorburn and Burmistrov on his line(not 2 months) his production with Scheifele, Wheeler, Perreault, Little, and Armia was 30 points in 45 games which projects to be around 54 points over his rookie season. A stark contrast to the 4 points in 21 games played with Thorburn as a linemate (16 games with Burmistrov centering). There's a very good chance that Ehlers can beat Schenn's 15-16' season total of 59 points in 2 years with a relatively average improvement over the next 2 seasons and will surpass anything Schenn has done before that in the next season. Add that he's expansion exempt and cost controlled, and the fact that the OP wants a 2nd from the Jets in the deal and it just makes zero sense from our perspective. Not to mention the point I made earlier about the Jets trading a RHD before they would trade any of their high upside young players before seeing their development through. Also, the 10 games Ehlers missed came after he spent 5 straight games as a fixture with Scheifele and Wheeler when Bryan Little was injured and they were playing top line unsheltered minutes. When he returned he played every game with Scheifele and Wheeler finishing the season with 15 pts in 16 total games played on that line, including a few where he had trouble playing (breathing and seeing) due to a full mask.

Jets fans have every reason to believe Ehlers will be a special player in the future given the right linemates. He's not for sale.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Lol... so fans of all teams are saying they are losing this deal.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Myers > Provorov. What has Provorov ever done in the NHL? Is he going to win the Calder? No? Myers > Provorov.

:popcorn:

This is just dumb though to say.

The difference is Myers has not been that Calder level defenceman in years....whereas Schenn just had his best year of his career.

Again, Schenn was 11th in LW scoring. Let's not pretend that the numbers he just put up are easily attainable. And no, I am not saying that this is a deal the Jets should do. They have no reason to do this deal. Mattaa's health issues have derailed him a bit as has his skating.

Just an odd trade proposal all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad