Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Travis Konecny signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $8.75M AAV)

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Should've traded him. We have lots of potential at RW.......... then nothing.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Love konecny but that’s to much $. Guys never had more than 68 points. That’s barely 2nd line production.

Also 1 goal in 22 playoff games and only 7 points.

Ugly imo.

7x7 should of been the target zone.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Unhappy to see that contract. Boeser is a similar player on the Canucks and we certainly could not re-sign him at that cost.
Boeser has five more goals and sixteen less point in like 90 less games and small sample size but better playoff numbers and I bet Allvin still gets a better AAV. Even if it was the same deal, the cap is expected to be a 100 million in three years and it's only a 2 million dollar raise and the nucks window is now.

I absolutely sign Brock for that but I'm gonna say he signs 8×8.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I love Konecny as a player but the issue I have is the state of the team when handing out a contract like this. If the Flyers were contending in the next 5 years, fine; TK would make a lot of sense as he’s a great player. Unless Michkov is better than we ever dreamed and other young players make huge strides next year, the Flyers are probably 3 years away from making noise at best. It doesn’t make sense to have an older overpaid player at that point. You are fine with those few years of an albatross contract if you get the players prime during a period of contending

He'll only be 30 in 3 seasons. There are plenty of players who are productive in their early 30s.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Love konecny but that’s to much $. Guys never had more than 68 points. That’s barely 2nd line production.

Ugly imo.

Exactly. Philly management is garbage. This is almost as trash as the JVR and Hayes deals. I guess they have to overpay to get people to that dump of a city. Unlike Florida who have mastered the cap.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Ugly imo.

To be fair, he has 129 pts in 136 games over the past 2 seasons.

I understand it's not the same as being a ~PPG guy over full seasons, but they're paying for that production.

Flyers were in a tough spot. He's been particularly good at ES scoring on a team that doesn't score a bunch and is the franchise leading point getter over the past half decade.

They've been building as of late so letting a guy like that go would've been a tough blow in many ways.

After Guentzel signed for 9M, Konecny was always going to get something close.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Happy for Flyers fan that liks Konecny. He's a good player to have on a roster.

However, i wouldnt pay him that much for what he brings. 8 pts in 22 playoff games is not great either.

Hopefully the Canucks can get Boeser under that number, Boeser is a superior player than Konecny in my opinion and if Boeser demanded this kind of contract id be happy to walk away or trade him. and I like Boeser.
You let our best winger and core player walk for a two million dollar raise during our cup window with the cap climbing to a 100 million?
You realize that any replacement via ufa would cost the same or more right? He's also super close to the other core guys and a fan favourite and was clutch in the playoffs.

Of all the guys I want to see win a cup here it's Brock, longest serving Nuck, tons of adversity and about the nicest guy in hockey.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
- His first playoff run he just turned 21 years-old and was a third liner.

- His second (and last) he was 23 years-old and still had 7 points and was a +3 in 16 games. In other words, he hasn’t even been in a playoff game in 4+ years and he wasn’t close to the player he has become back then so pretty disingenuous to use his limited playoff resume as some sort of real measuring stick.

- His non-pro rated 33 goals and 68 points (and +4) last year led his club by 5 goals and 15 points. I think some people need a refresher on who the 23-24 Flyers were icing in their forward group.

- His non-pro rated 52 even strength points last year were tied for 31st in the entire NHL. Of those 31 players, he was one of 13 who got less than 20 minutes of ice time a game (least you think this is a “bad player getting ALL THE ICE TIME” situation).

- He was one of the top penalty killers on the 4th ranked PK team in the entire league.

He’s a really good and pretty unique player capable of providing offense with almost zero help and with tremendous specialty teams versatility and a real grindy edge.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Good deal for the player and I'm sure the Flyers and their fans are fine with keeping him there at the price.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Too much money, too much term. Konecny is a true warrior and a pretty good 2-way player, but that's a lot for a player who never got more than 70pts. I was expecting around 7.5M.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Being a flyers fan is painful
Not much of a fan if you dont like to have your best player on board.
Maybe trade market not as good as some expect.

Not signing the checks so couldnt care less if he is 1 mil overpaid or 1 yr too long.

Reactions: hurdemz

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Konecny is objectively not a middle six guy. Let’s not be silly now.

If he was a 30-30 guy that’d be accurate.
68 points is his career high. He hasn't scored 70 (even at 70) since OHL days. This is hella rich. But is what it is

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Not much of a fan if you dont like to have your best player on board.
Maybe trade market not as good as some expect.

Not signing the checks so couldnt care less if he is 1 mil overpaid or 1 yr too long.
I'm not a fan because i don't think we should sign someone who doesn't quite fit our timeline to an 8 year contract with an NMC?

I have to agree with everything we do in order to be a fan? I love TK, doesn't mean i love the contract or how he plays into our timeline. Being a fan doesn't mean divorcing yourself from your brain

Reactions: Amorgus

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Cash value is probably fair, 6 year NMC is a bit rougher but not then end of the world.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Appropriate AAV.

I just don't get what we're doing with our timeline is all.
It's ok, neither does the Flyers FO.

Fair contract, but they should have traded him if they are truly rebuilding, but we all know that's not the case

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Gallagher 2.0 . ;)

Joking, but Gallagher dropped off a cliff after signing his big deal at 27.

Konecny is obviously better, but still...

Hopefully Konecny avoids the same fate... Smaller, gritty players tend to age not that well in their 30s.

Last edited:

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Probably.
Agreed. I'd wager he gets 15 more points on PP alone. Assuming that's true, that puts his pace well over PPG, not accounting for the fact that he may just score more due to having better centers and playmakers on his team.

If Michkov is a 60 point player next year (not expecting, just stating) - I think TK puts up 80+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad