Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] F Travis Konecny signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $8.75M AAV)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Sounds about right. The aav might barely benefit the player more than the organization, and the length is risky, but it’s hard to argue he’s not worth the money right now.

If he’s overpaid, it sure as hell isn’t by much. Better to give an extra 500k to your top guys than the jags

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Back-to-back 30 goals seasons and the only player to score 30 for the Flyers since Couturier in 2018-19.

Just looking and I think only Couturier, Gagner, Richards and Konecny have had back-to-back 30 goal seasons for the team since the lockout.

Yeah, he's worth that money to that franchise.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Happy for Flyers fan that liks Konecny. He's a good player to have on a roster.

However, i wouldnt pay him that much for what he brings. 8 pts in 22 playoff games is not great either.

Hopefully the Canucks can get Boeser under that number, Boeser is a superior player than Konecny in my opinion and if Boeser demanded this kind of contract id be happy to walk away or trade him. and I like Boeser.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Rantanen is going to sign for ~$12M this summer, to go into effect next summer, when the cap is $93M.

Konecny making ~73% of what Rantanen is going to make is fine. Remember, he's not riding shotgun to a Mackinnon.

Reactions: SnS

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
paid top dollar for him.. I mean top top dollar after a really good year.
Kind of what we did with Voracek.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sounds about right. The aav might barely benefit the player more than the organization, and the length is risky, but it’s hard to argue he’s not worth the money right now.

If he’s overpaid, it sure as hell isn’t by much. Better to give an extra 500k to your top guys than the jags

Love the player and his game. Little too much for more than a little too long but you need guys like this.

Yup. Visceral reaction is slight overpayment but at the end of the day, nothing extreme and nothing that won’t basically fade away if he keeps up his play as the cap goes up.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
You have to wonder what is the Flyers' plan. Sure looks like they want to rebuild on the fly but they have so many wholes to build a contender. No number 1 center (Do they even have a quality No 2 center?), no number 1 D, very unproven goalies but a coach and a veteran core good enough to keep them in the middle of the pack.

Sounds like a recipe for a rebuilt after 6 years of disappointments (on top of the last 4 yrs)

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Happy for Flyers fan that liks Konecny. He's a good player to have on a roster.

However, i wouldnt pay him that much for what he brings. 8 pts in 22 playoff games is not great either.

Hopefully the Canucks can get Boeser under that number, Boeser is a superior player than Konecny in my opinion and if Boeser demanded this kind of contract id be happy to walk away or trade him. and I like Boeser.
Boeser was 4th on his team in scoring, and behind 3rd place by 16 points (behind 1st by 30). Konecny was 1st on his team, and ahead of 2nd place by 15 points (in 2 fewer games).

Kind of not the same, and I like Boeser.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
You have to wonder what is the Flyers plan. Sure looks like they want to rebuild on the fly but they have so many wholes to build a contender. No number 1 center (Do they even have a quality No 2 center?), no number 1 D, very unproven goalies but a coach and a veteran core good enough to keep them in the middle of the pack.

Sounds like a recipe for a rebuilt in after 6 years of disappointments (on top of the last 4 yrs)
Came here to post the same thing. Trying to be as respectful as possible, but I'm very confused with the direction the Flyers are going.

Like what you said, missing a #1C, #1D and a #1G and have a lot of money tied up on the wings

They definitely could solve those missing pieces internally (Drysdale, Fedotov?)

But I'm also wondering, what is going on with the right wing situation? With this deal you now have Konecny, Michkov, Tippett, Foerster, Brink and Hathaway all under control for several years

Crazy RW depth

Reactions: Cenzo_

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Speed, puck control, shot, grit, PK. Players with a mix of such skills don’t lie on the road.
Refuse to pay him 8,75 and in 2-3 years pay 10-11 M on FA market? No sense

Reactions: FlyguyOX

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Came here to post the same thing. Trying to be as respectful as possible, but I'm very confused with the direction the Flyers are going.

Like what you said, missing a #1C, #1D and a #1G and have a lot of money tied up on the wings

They definitely could solve those missing pieces internally (Drysdale, Fedotov?)

But I'm also wondering, what is going on with the right wing situation? With this deal you now have Konecny, Michkov, Tippett, Foerster, Brink and Hathaway all under control for several years

Crazy RW depth

A lot of those guys can play on the left side. Foerster and Brink still have everything to prove as well…you definitely shouldn’t not extend your best player just because there some kids on the roster.

I still think the Flyers should eventually give Michkov a shot at center too.

Reactions: CellyHard

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I love Konecny as a player but the issue I have is the state of the team when handing out a contract like this. If the Flyers were contending in the next 5 years, fine; TK would make a lot of sense as he’s a great player. Unless Michkov is better than we ever dreamed and other young players make huge strides next year, the Flyers are probably 3 years away from making noise at best. It doesn’t make sense to have an older overpaid player at that point. You are fine with those few years of an albatross contract if you get the players prime during a period of contending

Reactions: Amorgus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad