Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds like a Rangers fan salty that Trouba wouldn't waive
I'm rightly upset this unethical guy poisoned the water by claiming his client wouldn't report to wherever he was traded and thus violating his contract. A problem no team is trading for, and a great way for an unethical agent to tank his client's trade value when his full NMC drops to a partial no trade and he doesn't want to be traded.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm rightly upset this unethical guy poisoned the water by claiming his client wouldn't report to wherever he was traded and thus violating his contract. A problem no team is trading for, and a great way for an unethical agent to tank his client's trade value when his full NMC drops to a partial no trade.
If he violated his contract he wouldn't be a Ranger right now

Reactions: UnSandvich

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I'm making assumptions, but my read on the situation is he likely was/is legitimately injured to some degree but was playing though it in Colorado, because he was playing for something.

Then he got traded to Flyers and suddenly didn't want to play through it anymore on a team that likely was missing the playoffs and for a coach he did not mesh with previously.

Becomes somewhat of a grey area. Yeah he probably was injured to some degree but if you play through it on one team, you should play through it on another team assuming the injury and pain are the same as it was.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
RyJo situation: They took him to get a 1st from Colorado. He was willing to play but Tortorella did not want him on the roster. So they DOA'd his career to make their hardass coach happy. He responded by claiming an injury.

Their top goalie prospect is currently demanding a release from his contract to return to the KHL because they stuck him in the AHL without a translator and made him ride the bench while cap dump Cal Petersen started every game. Because a short AHL playoff run is, of course, more important than developing prospects by playing them.

They're a sloppy, unprofessional organization run by a GM with no prior experience, their ex-color commentator, and a random health insurance executive meant to oversee everything. Their coach was hired directly by the cable company that owns them, because he gave off good hardass vibes that are the only thing the cable company understands about hockey and the Flyers as an entity.

Badly run company.
lol incredible how you guys always manager to turn everything into a "blame torts we hate torts" narrative.

RJO has been a locker room cancer, and the org just finally cleaned all the cancers from the room (Provorov, Hayes, TDA maybe) and you seriously think they wanted to bring in another? Flyers beat writers from the moment the trade happened said the flyers never planned to play him in the NHL, period.

This is all RJO not wanting to play in the AHL, peiod.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he violated his contract he wouldn't be a Ranger right now
Well no, you need to actually violate the contract. An agent screaming it just tanks trade value (a totally unethical move). It doesn't violate the contract. A contract is only violated once the action occurs. Threats of it don't violate a contract.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm making assumptions, but my read on the situation is he likely was/is legitimately injured to some degree but was playing though it in Colorado, because he was playing for something.

Then he got traded to Flyers and suddenly didn't want to play through it anymore on a team that likely was missing the playoffs and for a coach he did not mesh with previously.

Becomes somewhat of a grey area. Yeah he probably was injured to some degree but if you play through it on one team, you should play through it on another team assuming the injury and pain are the same as it was.
Well he wasn't even going to be playing for the Flyers, they just sent him down straight away because Torts likely said the same thing to Briere "he ain't coming to my locker room".

Reactions: JKG33 and FlyguyOX

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Pretty simple, really.

Injury was a surprise at the time, but considered minor by all doctors who looked at him, which seems logical given he was playing for the avs and had even been at the morning skate the day of the trade.

Now, apparently, he needs a complex surgery, and it just so happens that he had to wait until right before the season starts?

Get f***ed RJO. Adios, loser
Well. You can call him whatever you want. If the suregery is scheduled I really don't see the flyers have a case here. Players put off surgeries all the tike trying other treatments first. Surgery comes with risks, so not that surprising they use them as a last resort.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

If it was that bad why would he still be practicing like normal? Wouldn't be at least be taking rest days?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
lol incredible how you guys always manager to turn everything into a "blame torts we hate torts" narrative.

RJO has been a locker room cancer, and the org just finally cleaned all the cancers from the room (Provorov, Hayes, TDA maybe) and you seriously think they wanted to bring in another? Flyers beat writers from the moment the trade happened said the flyers never planned to play him in the NHL, period.

This is all RJO not wanting to play in the AHL, peiod.

No f***ing shit man. Because Torts is the reason they were sending him to the AHL in the first place (it wasn't because they had too many NHL centers...)

Guess what? Managing a hockey team relies on dealing with hockey players. Making their needs work with the organization's. Some of them are brats and pricks. Every other team avoids the constant drama. They keep failing at that time and time again.

You root for the hockey Mets, man. That's what you're looking at.

Reactions: JKG33

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
No f***ing shit man. Because Torts is the reason they were sending him to the AHL in the first place (it wasn't because they had too many NHL centers...)

Guess what? Part of managing a hockey team is figuring out how to deal with hockey players. How to avoid drama and maximize performance. They keep failing at that time and time again.
What?? He went to the AHL because he's complete ass, lazy, a poor model for young players on and off the ice, and we are prioritizing minutes to younger players with potential. Again, lazy af torts narrative.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Shocking, that when it benefits the team they find it acceptable yeah. In this case it hurts the Flyers.
I'm still not sure how it hurts the Flyers. I know about the overage penalty, but if I'm them I'd still rather have him on LTIR this year as opposed to having most of his cap hit count in the AHL.

Well no, you need to actually violate the contract. An agent screaming it just tanks trade value (a totally unethical move). It doesn't violate the contract. A contract is only violated once the action occurs. Threats of it don't violate a contract.
Ah I misread that part of the post. Thought you were implying what Trouba/Overhardt said violated the contract. However I can't blame the player for wanting to maximize the trade protection.

So with you being into ethics and all that, how did you feel about the Rangers getting around Goodrow's NTC by waiving him to the Sharks? Surely you were just as upset by that as you are with Trouba, right?

That's my read on it as well. However I think he was willing to play for the Flyers, the injury became not worth it once he realized he was getting sent down. Which to be fair I don't blame him at all for.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
What?? He went to the AHL because he's complete ass, lazy, a poor model for young players on and off the ice, and we are prioritizing minutes to younger players with potential. Again, lazy af torts narrative.

But they willfully acquired him.

(also why is Mr. Piece of Shit fine to play with younger players on their development team, but not on the main roster...?)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm still not sure how it hurts the Flyers. I know about the overage penalty, but if I'm them I'd still rather have him on LTIR this year as opposed to having most of his cap hit count in the AHL.
They were going to buy him out, but you can't do that if the player is injured.

Evergreen

Surely you mean the guy they sent down who never had a chance at playing with them?
Wait, he wanted to play? Because he says he was injured and that’s why he refused the demotion. Which one is it?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Well he wasn't even going to be playing for the Flyers, they just sent him down straight away because Torts likely said the same thing to Briere "he ain't coming to my locker room

Then f*** the flyers, I would have stopped playing through the most minor of injuries too and milked it hard.

One of the worst run franchises in major sports

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Wait, he wanted to play? Because he says he was injured and that’s why he refused the demotion. Which one is it?
I'm guessing he was willing to play through it in the NHL but Torts/the Flyers wouldn't give him the time of day

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Agree with your interpretation and conclusion. The only point I would clarify is that the Flyers never gave him a chance to play. They immediately tried to send him to the AHL. This wasn't a case of JR deciding that he didn't want to play for the Flyers. My "intrepretation" is that RJ didn't want to play and risk further making his injury situation worse playing for the Phantoms, which I can understand.

With that said - it is unusual that if the injury was that bad that the situation wasn't addressed in April instead of waiting until September, unless they were trying rehab to avoid a major procedure. If that's the case - I would have thought the Flyers medical staff would have been heavily involved.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So with you being into ethics and all that, how did you feel about the Rangers getting around Goodrow's NTC by waiving him to the Sharks? Surely you were just as upset by that as you are with Trouba, right?
Not sure what the two things have to do with one another.

A "ruthless" yet totally legal move to tell a player to either accept a trade or they're being waived is different from threatening to violate a contract. One is completely legal in the CBA. The other one is a textbook CBA and contract violation, if it's followed through with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad