Contract Termination: [PHI] F Ryan Johansen placed on waivers by the Flyers for the purpose of contract termination (Johansen grieving)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I don’t why you keep speaking on this broad assumption that most players in the league are living with constant pain 24/7 and deserve LTIR once 30 hits.
Because it's true. Obviously not all of them, but certainly far more than the average person thinks. Especially ones with multiple hip surgeries.

The average person doesn't understand how quickly the body of someone who works a physically demanding job breaks down.

Sme people were discussing the cap hit penalty on the Kings due to the Richard's termination earlier in this thread. Was that a penalty for termination of the contract or was that simply the cap recapture rules from the 2013 CBA coming into play? I believe Richards's contract may have fallen under those rules, requiring the Kings to repay the cap savings they had received from the contract.
I think it was both. The cap recapture and settlement both had to be applied to the cap

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Because it's true. Obviously not all of them, but certainly far more than the average person thinks. Especially ones with multiple hip surgeries.

The average person doesn't understand how quickly the body of someone who works a physically demanding job breaks down.

I think it was both. The cap recapture and settlement both had to be applied to the cap

Again you keep speaking on these broad assumptions of players stating them to be facts.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
That’s one guy
Different from a claim that most players over the age of 30 deserve LTIR
I'm not saying "deserve" IR. Just that if they wanted to make a case - it's very likely they could "justify" IR. Because the amount of pain being incurred can't be directly "measured", it's a very subjective evaluation. If Gretzky wanted to hang it up after the Suter hit, I would think that he could have justified it. I would expect that very few players > 30 don't have some sort of medical issue that they could use an reason to not play if they wanted.

Reactions: JKG33

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It sounds like the implication is that he manufactured an injury to potentially avoid playing for Torts and then subsequently minor league team after being waved...?

He played every game with colorado and then was suddenly injured at some point with flyers.
Ya seems very suspicious, plays every game for Colorado, but zero for flyers because of injury.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
The NHL still has to play the bullsh** PC game to an extent.

Why wouldn't a team try it ? If a player went on some racist diatribe on Twitter. Just say that this will damage the teams brand too much and the player has to be terminated
You think terminating a player for a racist diatribe would constitute playing a “bullshit PC game?”

I’d say it’s a sound personnel choice to not want to have a guy in your room who has demonstrated he doesn’t have the same level of respect for his teammates and coworkers depending on the color of their skin. As well as a prudent financial decision to not want to employ a guy who will alienate fans and sponsors.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Again you keep speaking on these broad assumptions of players stating them to be facts.
I'm not sure what you want from me. If you refuse to understand that there's nuance involved with injuries and it's not as simple as being injured or healthy, I dunno what to tell you.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm not saying "deserve" IR. Just that if they wanted to make a case - it's very likely they could "justify" IR. Because the amount of pain being incurred can't be directly "measured", it's a very subjective evaluation. If Gretzky wanted to hang it up after the Suter hit, I would be that he could have justified it. I would expect that very few players > 30 don't have some sort of medical issue that they could use a reason to not play if they wanted.

Instead he chose to play every game for Colorado, and zero for flyers, injury arises when didn’t get picked up from waivers, and was being assigned to the AHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: PredsV82

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'm not saying "deserve" IR. Just that if they wanted to make a case - it's very likely they could "justify" IR. Because the amount of pain being incurred can't be directly "measured", it's a very subjective evaluation. If Gretzky wanted to hang it up after the Suter hit, I would think that he could have justified it. I would expect that very few players > 30 don't have some sort of medical issue that they could use an reason to not play if they wanted.

Seabrook lead the league in Games played counting the playoffs. Pretty drastic example that it suddenly applies to all players.

That is such a broad assumption that 30 and older players that everyone can claim LTIR.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kurt Overhardt with another player becoming a serious problem.

Flyers fans, remember this in regards to not picking Buium. Same agent as Gauthier also. This guy has a track record of being unethical.

NHL teams should band together to exclude his clients from the league and he should be banned by the NHLPA.

Evergreen

My guess is the Flyers are probably trying to finalize their training camp roster and Johansen is probably saying he's injured and won't be attending. The Flyers are saying "hey, you weren't injured when we traded for you (since you literally played the entire game the night before), so any injury you acquired would have been outside of hockey."

Curious how this plays out.
Don't get me wrong it's not a perfect situation/solution. But this does seem like an odd hill to die on and one that's likely to piss off some players. But with how they handled Couturier that ship has probably sailed already
I am sure the Flyers players aren’t all that that sympathetic to the guy who is refusing to play with them.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Flyers fans, remember this in regards to not picking Buium. Same agent as Gauthier also. This guy has a track record of being unethical.

NHL teams should band together to exclude his clients from the league and he should be banned by the NHLPA.
Sounds like a Rangers fan salty that Trouba wouldn't waive

I am sure the Flyers players aren’t all that that sympathetic to the guy who is refusing to play with them.
Surely you mean the guy they sent down who never had a chance at playing with them?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Seabrook lead the league in Games played counting the playoffs. Pretty drastic example that it suddenly applies to all players.

That is such a broad assumption that 30 and older players that everyone can claim LTIR.
Agree that not "everyone" can claim LTIR. Guys like Kessel or Yandle being the exception due to their style of play and lack of injury.

My point is that IMO a significant % of NHLPA members by the time their 30 have some accumulated injury history that they could likely point to as a reason why they would be unable to play. Most of those guys don't do that because the vast majority of them are playing for another contract, and that contract very likely exceeds their lifetime earning potential after their hockey career ends. It's obviously a little different when you're dealing with a top 10% player like RJ.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Agree wholeheartedly.

If flyers skipped Buium to not deal with this moron then I support the decision.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Something fishy going on here, for sure.....did Johansen bump his head getting on that flight from Colorado to Philly? :laugh:
Apparently must have, maybe the league can void the trade and send him back to the Avs, if he needs extensive surgery.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

If surgery has been scheduled - IMO this seems to be a pretty cut and dried case in RJ's favor, and I don't see how Briere can play the "lack of communication" card.

EDIT: Obviously - there is a ton of unknown, and nothing that KO says should be taken purely at face value. With that said - if surgery has been scheduled, the Flyers can't be "in the dark" with regard to what the plan is. If the Flyers don't like the fact that major surgery is required, IMO the issue then becomes what did the Av's know of the injury prior to the trade, and what did they disclose to the Flyers. There had to be a post trade physical - correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: JKG33

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
RJO loophole he's trying to exploit is waiting until right before the season starts to get a surgery he, apparently, needs

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
enlighten me i'm curious

Gauthier wanted to sign with the Flyers and it's implicitly believed that Fletcher guaranteed him the ability to sign and burn an ELC year after his freshman season at BC. Problem was, Fletcher got fired the day before that season ended. So in Briere's first week on the job, he talked to Gauthier, reneged on that promise and offered an AHL PTO instead--thousands instead of millions. Their next conversation in May of 2023 is when Gauthier requested the trade. The Flyers then doubled down by running a smear campaign around "didn't want to be a Flyer!" instead of acknowledging that management turnover resulted in a broken player relationship.

Gauthier can be an entitled prick, but it's logical to not want to work for a company that promises you massive sums of money and that yoinks that immediately when one stooge gets fired in favor of another, and then immediately turns around and shit talks you nonstop on its own captive media networks to get ahead of it.

RyJo situation: They took him to get a 1st from Colorado. He was willing to play but Tortorella did not want him on the roster. So they DOA'd his career to make their hardass coach happy. He responded by claiming an injury.

Their top goalie prospect is currently demanding a release from his contract to return to the KHL because they stuck him in the AHL without a translator and made him ride the bench while cap dump Cal Petersen started every game. Because a short AHL playoff run is, of course, more important than developing prospects by playing them.

They're a sloppy, unprofessional organization run by a GM with no prior experience, their ex-color commentator, and a random health insurance executive meant to oversee everything. Their coach was hired directly by the cable company that owns them, because he gave off good hardass vibes that are the only thing the cable company understands about hockey and the Flyers as an entity. Instead of being an employee, the rando outsider CEO has requested a "triumvirate" where he shares power with Briere and Jones.

Badly run company. Absolute mess.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If surgery has been scheduled - IMO this seems to be a pretty cut and dried case in RJ's favor, and I don't see how Briere can play the "lack of communication" card.
Pretty simple, really.

Injury was a surprise at the time, but considered minor by all doctors who looked at him, which seems logical given he was playing for the avs and had even been at the morning skate the day of the trade.

Now, apparently, he needs a complex surgery, and it just so happens that he had to wait until right before the season starts?

Get f***ed RJO. Adios, loser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad