Phaneuf Discussion Thread - Civil Mode

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I have a question for Phaneuf's biggest critics.

What would be your reaction to Phaneuf voluntarily giving up his captaincy? How would you view him? Would you view Phaneuf better? Or does that just make him a ***** and you hate him more?

I ask because a lot of complaints are directed his way because fans feel he isn't a good leader/captain. And I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

I'd be more interested in him giving up his 5th highest D cap hit.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

What would be your reaction to Phaneuf voluntarily giving up his captaincy? How would you view him? Would you view Phaneuf better? Or does that just make him a ***** and you hate him more?

I ask because a lot of complaints are directed his way because fans feel he isn't a good leader/captain. And I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

He is still getting paid $7m a year isnt he? Anyway, I would probably think better of him if he realized that he is not capable of leading the team.

Had he been paid $5m for 4-5 years and if he wore an A instead of the C then I would not be as critical of him as I am. Like Jack Johnson, the player I compare him with. Not really a big fan of him either but if the out put matches the in put I can deal with it.

cack

Jul 30, 2013
Why can't we see that both guys are major parts of the problem.

The problem with the Leafs is not Phaneuf and Kessel. The solution is obtaining better players to play with Kessel, Phaneuf and the rest of the core because this is part of the process of building a better hockey team.

Kessel's line has been partially addressed with JVR and it has grown exponentially, the same thing will happen with Phaneuf and the d pairings once they are addressed. Look at what St. Louis did by adding Bouwmeester to Pieterangleo, people thought Bouwmeester was not that good anymore before he was traded to St.Louis, boy were they ever wrong.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

dont dare even compare keon to ANY of the leafs leaders in a decade......maybe gilmour ,phaneuf is a regular player ,hopefully he has respect of his teamates ,but historians likley wont remember him as a modern day hero ,its not his fault the leafs suck ,but him kessel and clarckson are gonna hear about it for years to come if they still suck in 2 years ,no one forced anyone to sign ,but i think we are finding out toronto has to offer extra years to get players to stay ,if we wanna keep bolland liklely gonna be a crappy 6-7 year deal too .it obvious toronto has to sweeten the pot to attract players ,ud be nuts to turn down 6-7 years guaranteed contracts ,sold out building ,and not really have to produce a winner ....cause its been a half decade since anyone has and they all got paid .......

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I'm not a critic at all - but I think if Phaneuf gave up his captaincy it would really take a whole lot of weight off his shoulders. I'm looking at this as a purely sports sociological point of view.

Not everyone can be a leader in the sense that when poop goes bad - they are the sole figure that people look at. There's no shame and/or blame in that, and it doesn't mean that so and so is a bad person/player or even part of the leadership core. If you threw everyone at a problem, it is always natural that one person (in theory) would rise up and start telling people what to do how to do it, and you know lead. In medicine it's called 'Gunther' [okay I will flat out admit the medicine bit came out of Grey's Anatomy but it doesn't change what i'm saying].

Dion, I think can be (or was) a great motivator, loud, rah rah, in your face. I think when he was given the C [way to quickly, in my opinion] he had to totally accept/embrace/overdo what it means to be a captain. Nonis and Carlyle totally said constantly the last two seasons that they got (and will have to get) more support for Dion, so he doesn't feel like he does so much.

I think it will benefit his game a lot more if Dion said "as honourable as it is to be the captain of this organization - I have to step down so i can concentrate on making my play better to benefit the team so we can move forward." or whatever. and then I'd seriously wait until someone steps up/emerges as the captain. As much as people are mad at Lupul there is a reason why people wanted to put the C on him [but I don't think he's long for this team].

I'd personally wait to see if players like JVR (once he matures a bit more) or Rielly (when he really matures more) step up and see what they can do. People had mentioned Bolland - I dunno. I don't think it needs to be dished out as quickly as needed. I'd have rotating A's.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
dont dare even compare keon to ANY of the leafs leaders in a decade......maybe gilmour ,phaneuf is a regular player ,hopefully he has respect of his teamates ,but historians likley wont remember him as a modern day hero ,its not his fault the leafs suck ,but him kessel and clarckson are gonna hear about it for years to come if they still suck in 2 years ,no one forced anyone to sign ,but i think we are finding out toronto has to offer extra years to get players to stay ,if we wanna keep bolland liklely gonna be a crappy 6-7 year deal too .it obvious toronto has to sweeten the pot to attract players ,ud be nuts to turn down 6-7 years guaranteed contracts ,sold out building ,and not really have to produce a winner ....cause its been a half decade since anyone has and they all got paid .......

You're responding to his signature.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

You certainly told that signature. Don't think it'll be coming back anytime soon. :sarcasm: :)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why can't we see that both guys are major parts of the problem.

Exactly... Phaneuf and Kessel are going to be way overpaid starting next season!

Unless Phaneuf can get way better defensively, more consistent, reduce his penalty time, and, be able to get that offensive game back, WE ARE DOOMED! He's not worth his current contract, never mind his new one!

And Kessel, he's a nice COMPLIMENTARY piece, but, really NOTHING you'd be able to build a real Standley Cup contender around. I would not have committed more than $6.5M to him for his inconsistent scoring ability, speed, and total lack of defensive awareness! My goodness, for $8.0M, you better be able to score more goals on the breakaway and on shootout attempts!

Both will become UNMOVABLE with their new contracts next year.

I HOPE I'm WRONG, but, I have a feeling my worries will end up being closer to the truth.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm not a critic at all - but I think if Phaneuf gave up his captaincy it would really take a whole lot of weight off his shoulders. I'm looking at this as a purely sports sociological point of view.

Not everyone can be a leader in the sense that when poop goes bad - they are the sole figure that people look at. There's no shame and/or blame in that, and it doesn't mean that so and so is a bad person/player or even part of the leadership core. If you threw everyone at a problem, it is always natural that one person (in theory) would rise up and start telling people what to do how to do it, and you know lead. In medicine it's called 'Gunther' [okay I will flat out admit the medicine bit came out of Grey's Anatomy but it doesn't change what i'm saying].

Dion, I think can be (or was) a great motivator, loud, rah rah, in your face. I think when he was given the C [way to quickly, in my opinion] he had to totally accept/embrace/overdo what it means to be a captain. Nonis and Carlyle totally said constantly the last two seasons that they got (and will have to get) more support for Dion, so he doesn't feel like he does so much.

I think it will benefit his game a lot more if Dion said "as honourable as it is to be the captain of this organization - I have to step down so i can concentrate on making my play better to benefit the team so we can move forward." or whatever. and then I'd seriously wait until someone steps up/emerges as the captain. As much as people are mad at Lupul there is a reason why people wanted to put the C on him [but I don't think he's long for this team].

I'd personally wait to see if players like JVR (once he matures a bit more) or Rielly (when he really matures more) step up and see what they can do. People had mentioned Bolland - I dunno. I don't think it needs to be dished out as quickly as needed. I'd have rotating A's.

Rotating A's are stupid IMHO! Either you deserve to be an Alternate or you're not! One game you are declared to be a team leader, and then, the next game you're not. I don't like it.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The problem with the Leafs is not Phaneuf and Kessel. The solution is obtaining better players to play with Kessel, Phaneuf and the rest of the core because this is part of the process of building a better hockey team.

Kessel's line has been partially addressed with JVR and it has grown exponentially, the same thing will happen with Phaneuf and the d pairings once they are addressed. Look at what St. Louis did by adding Bouwmeester to Pieterangleo, people thought Bouwmeester was not that good anymore before he was traded to St.Louis, boy were they ever wrong.

They take up too much CAP SPACE to acquire BETTER players. They ARE the BETTER players that MLSE have pinned their hopes on.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Phaneuf is NOT a good defenceman. The only fans who think so happen to be Leaf fans. He's okay, offensively, when he's not coughing the puck up.

Defensively, he's a nightmare. He can't read plays, he's slow and has a tendency to do little in his own zone. He is content to stand in front of the net looking clueless and thus, has the nickname pylon among others.

Any fan who think he's good is delusional. He's good at being a liability. At 7 yrs and 7 mill, he'll discover more and more fans complaining because he's gonna get worse.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

There is not 1 player on this current Leafs roster that could be Captain. If not Phaneuf then who? Please don't say Lupul.
Kessel? No, not who he is.
There is not 1 single guy on this team that I trust to look to when I'm hoping we bust out of our slump. Yes I look to Kessel to score, but I accept his shortcomings on the other end of the stick. Not 1 player I feel comfortable making a speech and leading by example. We have nobody.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Exactly... Phaneuf and Kessel are going to be way overpaid starting next season!

Unless Phaneuf can get way better defensively, more consistent, reduce his penalty time, and, be able to get that offensive game back, WE ARE DOOMED! He's not worth his current contract, never mind his new one!

And Kessel, he's a nice COMPLIMENTARY piece, but, really NOTHING you'd be able to build a real Standley Cup contender around. I would not have committed more than $6.5M to him for his inconsistent scoring ability, speed, and total lack of defensive awareness! My goodness, for $8.0M, you better be able to score more goals on the breakaway and on shootout attempts!

Both will become UNMOVABLE with their new contracts next year.

I HOPE I'm WRONG, but, I have a feeling my worries will end up being closer to the truth.

Agree. What ppl who are fans of these players fail to understand by laughing at Kessel being the 43rd ranked player etc is that there is more to a hockey player then points. You can make an argument that 43 was a bit to low but he did not belong among the top players based on his overall play.
I dont remember Cammalleri ever being considered one of the best in the league when he had his high point seasons, since goal scoring wingers is one of the least important roles on a team.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton

I don't really question his leadership capabilities I question his ability to play hockey. It's also not REALLY his fault he has such a huge contract or has such high minutes and opportunities to play the part.

His problem is that he is a mature player on the team and he does not facilitate an effetive way to change the way a team is playing.

Between Phaneuf, Clarkson, Lupul, Gleason, McClement and Orr there is a presence of people who have been doing this job for a while now. Who's stepping up and getting these guys going? Making a hit? Crashing the net? Giving a great feed? Chasing down a puck? Coming out the corner with the puck and going hard to the net? Just winning a 50/50 battle? That's leadership. That's showing the guys, we're ready to play tonight. We're not going to just sit back and play like s***.

Does Phaneuf really do that more or less than any of those players? Being mature on a team of young guys automatically implicates you to be that way when you are in this market or any market for that matter.

If Phaneuf provides that then there's no reason to take it away. But I don't really think he does any of those things with any greater or less consistency than the 22 year olds.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
No, they shipped him out because they were struggling and over-priced themselves on the blueline and had no assets or talents, much less depth at the forward position.

Why do you think he got traded for a depth defenseman and a couple of depth forwards? Only Stajan remains there from that deal.

This is just false. If they did over-price themselves on the blue line and Dion is as good as you say he was, why not ship out some other piece?

rustysvetz

Dec 16, 2009
Toronto
This is just false. If they did over-price themselves on the blue line and Dion is as good as you say he was, why not ship out some other piece?

What's the truth then?

My understanding when making *real* hockey trades is that you have to move something of value to get what you want back in return. He was the most expensive piece on the blueline at the time and seeing as though they JUST signed JBo to a deal and were looking for cap relief as paramount then it only seems to make the most sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad