Player Discussion Peyton Krebs C/LW -- Re-signed 2 years, $1.45m AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Good with it. Still some hope for Krebs to develop under Lindy, even though he still plays like he's the most skilled peewee in the world at 23. It's Peyton's world and his teammates are just living in it...

I look at $1.45M annually as $725k when we flip him and retain half. Could be a shrewd way to recoup value on him from a contender looking for an exceedingly cheap two year option. Are there any timeframe restrictions on how soon we can retain? Can a retained AAV dip below the NHL minimum salary?

Last edited:

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Kudos to Krebs. He stood his ground and got a payday that isn’t in line with his production so far. I’m sure his agent was selling potential.

He does seem like a candidate for a player that could improve a lot under Ruff.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
2 years and a decent raise for a guy who was barely hanging onto a roster spot at the end of last season, and is likely to be in Ruff's doghouse sooner rather than later if he doesn't break his trend of constantly passing the puck to the other team and refusing to shoot from somewhat dangerous areas. Way to go, Kev.
Don't forget taking low IQ penalties

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
The organization likes the player is what the contract means?

I don't see him being healthy scratched much...NAK or Laff depending on match ups.

But with injuries, all three players will be in the 65-75 games played range.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Low hockey/general IQ, no scoring touch, very little or no upside, no speed, blocks a prospect from roster, occasionally works hard, goes into corner, or stands up for teammate.

Does it make him less or more tradable now if he doesn't fit here and ends up in press box?

How much of it was the Eichel trade factor ?

Bit of a head scratcher, I hope he earns it.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm still not even close to being sold on Krebs, good locker room attitude can only go so far.

I would hope this deal is more like a show out this year or we trade you next year. With a year left it should add a bit more value.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well I'm okay with that, it's not that much and it seems Peyton likes Buffalo and he's a good teammate. It's all in his hands now, he'll probably have a chance to prove himself, but the competition is also big, guys like Kulich, Rosen, Poltapov (in a year)) will also want a place in the lineup.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
If you think this is a bad contract, it's right in line with most other RFAs in similar situations (Bottom six player with some prospect pedigree and a little production)

Krebs 2x1.45
Dellandrea 2x1.3
Drury 2x1.7
Grundstrom 2x1.8
Veleno 2x2.3

You may some preference across that group, but they all are relatively the same from production over the past two seasons. Adding in that Krebs seems to be a good locker room guy and plays center.... this deal isn't a shock at all.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
xactly what they want.

And for 2 years is even weirder.

You spent all summer pushing the guy out of the lineup and now you are paying him like he's going to be a regular forward.

For a team with a ton of unused cap space, they sure like to waste a lot of it on deals like this.
I think Krebs is in their plans for opening night roster. He has been specifically stated by Ruff as a piece of the team.

I dont think he was being pushed out, I think they wanted more of the snarl and want to put Krebs in a role with like players.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think Krebs is in their plans for opening night roster. He has been specifically stated by Ruff as a piece of the team.

I dont think he was being pushed out, I think they wanted more of the snarl and want to put Krebs in a role with like players.
I’m curious what the focus was for Krebs this offseason. As in what did Ruff tell him about his possible usage/expectations for this season.

Was it bulk up to handle an expanded agitator/physical role? Or was it simply expect to be a winger? Those are the first two ideas that pop into my head.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm okay with the cap, we have a bit of space to burn and I think Krebs has more upside than we've seen. The 2 years confuses me a little though.

Seems like there's a little bit of a fight in the bottom 9 between players like Krebs, offseason pickups and kids like Kulich, Rosen, etc for the few potentially open spots. 1 year says they're telling Krebs "earn a spot and we'll talk again next offseason". Not sure what 2 years is saying.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm okay with the cap, we have a bit of space to burn and I think Krebs has more upside than we've seen. The 2 years confuses me a little though.

Seems like there's a little bit of a fight in the bottom 9 between players like Krebs, offseason pickups and kids like Kulich, Rosen, etc for the few potentially open spots. 1 year says they're telling Krebs "earn a spot and we'll talk again next offseason". Not sure what 2 years is saying.

It could also be a bit of a poison pill if they decide to send Krebs down - that second year for a depth player at almost twice league minimum is likely to give a few teams pause.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm not good at this stuff, but honestly it looks a bit like a slightly cheaper version of Tyson's Josts last contract. Guessing we just signed our new Jost if the plan of Krebs earning a spot goes south.

Reactions: elchud

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Krebs is...

1. Still young, only 23
2. Has a 1st round pedigree
3. Has the league understanding and seeing players excel once they leave Buffalo.

I doubt he'd pass through waivers and I think he still has some trade value.

Of course, I only play an NHL GM on TV, so YMMV

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
and yet Okie and Girgensons consistently outscored Krebs and it didn't matter if they had Jost or him as their C. Frankly, they might've been a more impactful line without Krebs. He's just not a good NHL player, yet.

I don't think people want to admit that Krebs is not what they thought he'd be. I'm not seeing flashes of a guy that'll be an impact player. I compare that to Mitts or even Quinn, where you constantly see flashes of elite traits in their games that give you hope of a good top 6 player.

I think we all need to be done making excuses for him. He's been provided with ample opportunity to who he was more than a 4th liner/13th forward type. Clearly the Sabres have realized he's not someone they're willing to rely on going into the year. If they could somehow package him for something better, it'd probably be for the best. But, I'm still not willing to give him away for a late round pick.
However, from a roster value standpoint, Krebs does have the benefit of being able to play center. You can argue "how well?" all you want, but he is a center.

I’m not sure why we are talking about Okposo’s NHL career when the topic is related to Krebs in regard to the tail end of his career, where he quite literally might have been the slowest skater in the league.

I don’t think Krebs has had a fair shake, and I also think it’s reasonable he hasn’t, given the shakeup of our roster.

Krebs best assets are his vision and passing. It’s a bad feeling for me because I can see him being successful elsewhere in the right environment.
(and)
He turns 24 in January and has yet to establish a clear role for himself. He's odd-man out among the current forwards, with Kulich, Rosen, and Ostlund looking to compete for a roster spot. Several quality forward prospects are lined up behind them. Krebs is in a very challenging situation if he hopes for a long-term future with the Sabres.

My guess is that him and his agent feel he hasn't been given a fair shot, which isn't totally unreasonable. Unfortunately for them, his leverage is close to zero.

Krebs is probably a goner. Hopefully he lands with a bottom-feeder who can offer him a long look at a middle-6 position.
there can't be more than a couple teams who are feeding closer to the bottom than BUF with a greater lack of center depth / center opportunity.
Good riddance. Wouldn’t be upset to see him leave. Not a part of the future. Jack of all, master of none player.
Most, if not all, playoff and championship teams have those players.
Is this too big brained - would that AAV make him more likely to pass through waivers, like Reimer?
Exactly. It's Bryson's (prior) contract (from 2022 offseason), only this time at forward.
Another Adams special. Player has no leverage and yet they get exactly what they want.

And for 2 years is even weirder.

You spent all summer pushing the guy out of the lineup and now you are paying him like he's going to be a regular forward.

For a team with a ton of unused cap space, they sure like to waste a lot of it on deals like this.
Lots of marginal players are signed for 2 years.
Or, BUF could save the cap because the phone will ring on September 32nd from Stan Bowman explaining McDavid wants a trade to BUF.
Krebs will improve playing for Lindy it just depends how big that improvement is.
Agreed. Would be perfectly happy with Krebs becoming a Mike Grier or Jochen-Hecht clone.
Don't forget taking low IQ penalties
I actually do like his low-IQ decisions to throw down with guys over his weight class.
If you think this is a bad contract, it's right in line with most other RFAs in similar situations (Bottom six player with some prospect pedigree and a little production)

Krebs 2x1.45
Dellandrea 2x1.3
Drury 2x1.7
Grundstrom 2x1.8
Veleno 2x2.3

You may some preference across that group, but they all are relatively the same from production over the past two seasons. Adding in that Krebs seems to be a good locker room guy and plays center.... this deal isn't a shock at all.
(and)

Agreed with both of CC's points.

Pretty sure $1.45 AAV x2yr is also the going rate to show a middle-aged hot hockey-mom in the crowd a few times a year.

I'm not good at this stuff, but honestly it looks a bit like a slightly cheaper version of Tyson's Josts last contract. Guessing we just signed our new Jost if the plan of Krebs earning a spot goes south.
Exactly. Both 1st rounders with minimal AHL development and about a 0.33 ppg NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad