Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Sekeres: It sounds like they (management/coach) have a different definition of 'injury' than Elias Pettersson... (It's not just Seravelli)

This is a thing. There is a grey area between being injured to the point of sitting out and injured enough to have one's play impaired. Clearly, Pettersson was the latter, but if Tocchet knows this, it doesn't make sense to call his play out... Unless they are misaligned on how injured he actually had been.
Quoting Zadorov, don’t listen to those journalists from Edmonton.

And I am not even going to bother with what Sekeres says. It’s well know the contempt the org has for their whole media group to the point that Patterson couldn’t get a press pass for awhile.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

oba

Feb 2, 2024
you guys are all focusing on individuals rather than a TEAM.

the house divided is the one that falls.

every team has a medical staff and they make the final decisions. Not the coaches.

Your negative attentions are misplaced. Look for constructive directions.

Ps. TOC is a rock.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Have folks considered that maybe Tocchet - who has built his entire reputation as a now Jack Adams-winning coach out of his ability to communicate well with his players and make sure everyone knows where they stand and what expectations are - is probably not just popping off willy nilly about the star player who wears an A on his sweater, and who had a few months prior trusted Tocchet enough to go to him for support in navigating a difficult season and situation, and that maybe there's always further ongoing dialogue outside the public view while statements to the press are often not quite what they seem?

Last edited:

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Have folks considered that maybe Tocchet - who has built he entire reputation as a now Jack Adams-winning coach out of his ability to communicate well with his players and make sure everyone knows where they stand and what expectations are - is probably not just popping off willy nilly about the star player who wears an A on his sweater, and who had a few months prior trusted Tocchet enough to go to him for support in navigating a difficult season and situation, and that maybe there's always further ongoing dialogue outside the public view while statements to the press are often not quite what they seem?

No. It's all a big conspiracy. Petey sucks. Trade him for Cami and Jokinen rfn.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Dude needs to learn how to skate and shoot this offseason. Can't keep shelling out big $ for someone who can't keep his feet under any contact, and is a complete PP dud.

He's a vet now, but needs to take notes from some of the younger guys. Hoglanders gym routine, and Hughes on ice practice.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Dude needs to learn how to skate and shoot this offseason. Can't keep shelling out big $ for someone who can't keep his feet under any contact, and is a complete PP dud.

He's a vet now, but needs to take notes from some of the younger guys. Hoglanders gym routine, and Hughes on ice practice.
Rad.

Anyways... Where were we.

Completely unrelated. My ignore list grew by 1 today.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I hope he learns to skate worse.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This thread really highlights how this city needs another big league sports franchise. By August I’m guessing we’ll get into full blown conspiracy theory territory in here and read about how he and Tocchet despise each other.

The guy was banged up and also lost confidence, he’s not naturally built as the strongest on his skates to begin with and relies on a lethal shot to score so naturally knee pain limited him.

He needs to continue to train to improve his balance on his skates and find ways to be effective even when he’s playing injured like other star players do. And yes he can do this while posting instagram pics, the same way Miller can still train despite being a dad who also loves to go out hunting.

Hopefully he’s learned some lessons during this playoff run. This was a whole different level compared to the bubble.

I look forward to him scoring at a 90+ point pace next season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This thread really highlights how this city needs another big league sports franchise. By August I’m guessing we’ll get into full blown conspiracy theory territory in here and read about how he and Tocchet despise each other.

The guy was banged up and also lost confidence, he’s not naturally built as the strongest on his skates to begin with and relies on a lethal shot to score so naturally knee pain limited him.

He needs to continue to train to improve his balance on his skates and find ways to be effective even when he’s playing injured like other star players do. And yes he can do this while posting instagram pics, the same way Miller can still train despite being a dad who also loves to go out hunting.

Hopefully he’s learned some lessons during this playoff run. This was a whole different level compared to the bubble.

Yeah people tends to have a life and don’t devote themselves to training like Kobe. Wake up at 4am, train for 3 hours, nap, train, eat, rest, train, rest, train, nap, train, eat, sleep.

oba

Feb 2, 2024

Respectfully, the 90 point pace means Jack Sh......

The only measure of a champion is the 16 wins.

Statistics watching is a distraction. A tough distraction at that. The TEAM is what counts.

Ps. Kuchy is a seagull.
McDavid was too, but he's being coached up nicely.

Last edited:

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Respectfully, the 90 point pace means Jack Sh......

The only measure of a champion is the 16 wins.

Statistics watching is a distraction. A tough distraction at that. The TEAM is what counts.

Ps. Kuchy is a seagull.
McDavid was too, but he's being coached up nicely.

Man I don't know how to tell you this, but Pettersson is part of the team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

As I said before, he's a 100+ points player (**** pace as he's actually hit that point total before heh) when 100% healthy. Media scrutiny shouldn't be on EP but rather the team's medical staff. Or rather, the person that hired that medical personnel.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Sekeres: It sounds like they (management/coach) have a different definition of 'injury' than Elias Pettersson... (It's not just Seravelli)
This being the case wouldn't shock me. I made the Kawhi comparison in another thread. The Spurs had a world-class medical team and felt he was clear to play, but Kawhi was adamant he wasn't and got a second opinion before they found something. He went to a different team that managed the injury and won a championship. Hockey isn't like basketball where a player can call the shots like that, but it wouldn't be all that surprising if there's a difference in opinion on the severity of the injury and how it impacted his play.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If his condition was correctly diagnosed edit. IN JANUARY, and this was the route they decided to go, intentionally, I think its yet another instance of, at the very least borderline, malpractice by the medical staff.

But. Jumpers knee can be hard to diagnose with athletes participating in contact sports. Most of the time professional hockey players are playing through pain at all times during the season. So just giving Petterssons knee a few weeks to just see if it heals up isnt that dumb.

Having him play with a tendon inflammation for 5 months is very very questionable. Not as bad as Mik last year but the results were pretty dire as the player became completely ineffective.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I mean everyone lied left and right.
Allvin said he won’t buyout OEL and does it like 2 weeks after.
Hronek looking at Patterson saying I am not injured when you have Murph saying he is.
Hell the fact Tocchet said he had Tendonitis points to him lying considering he said no he is not injured and there is one simple reason why any coach would lie during the playoffs, it’s because it’s the f***ing playoffs.

There are a ton of moments you can pick where they lie. The fact this is the moment is exactly proof that people are choosing to make this a bigger deal than it actually is.

Tocchet said he needs to be step up or be better or something like that. It’s a stretch to say Tocchet pressed so hard on performance. If anything Petey sounded harder on himself by saying he was shit and that was harsher than anything Toc said.
he/she said that. the fact is nobody will spill the truth out to the media. until the players themselves say it. or the media constantly begs an answers from the players. IMO petterson should have been sat down until after the all star break to heal up who knows he might have produced better "numbers in the playoffs".

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

This is a thing. There is a grey area between being injured to the point of sitting out and injured enough to have one's play impaired. Clearly, Pettersson was the latter, but if Tocchet knows this, it doesn't make sense to call his play out... Unless they are misaligned on how injured he actually had been.
Given what happened to Pearson, it's a bit concerning that this is another instance of the team and player not being quite on the same page. At least with Mik, even though I think he could have been shut down earlier and not miss training camp, the player and team were at least on the same page.

It goes back to the question of why the team didn't rest Petey especially after the extension was signed. Petey said that the pain got worse over time. Tendonitis is 100% something where rest is beneficial. The team should have shut down Petey for a few weeks to see if his knee heels or at least rest him to reduce instances of aggravation. I say this acknowleging that playoff seeding was up for grasp.

every team has a medical staff and they make the final decisions. Not the coaches.

That's not how it works. Outside of an abnormal risk of immediate death, doctors don't make the final decisions. It's the player. A player can consent to being injected with painkillers just before the game in order to play. A player can consent to play with broken bones, tendon tears, and other injuries that require offseason surgery.

But the coach controls the lineup card. I don't see an instance where Tocchet and management couldn't have consulted with Petey and his agent about resting that knee in hopes that he would be 100% or better for the playoffs. If money and awards weren't a factor, I don't see why Petey can't be convinced to sit. It would also have given the team a chance to see what a 2nd line centered by Lindholm would be like.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Given what happened to Pearson, it's a bit concerning that this is another instance of the team and player not being quite on the same page. At least with Mik, even though I think he could have been shut down earlier and not miss training camp, the player and team were at least on the same page.

It goes back to the question of why the team didn't rest Petey especially after the extension was signed. Petey said that the pain got worse over time. Tendonitis is 100% something where rest is beneficial. The team should have shut down Petey for a few weeks to see if his knee heels or at least rest him to reduce instances of aggravation. I say this acknowleging that playoff seeding was up for grasp.

That's not how it works. Outside of an abnormal risk of immediate death, doctors don't make the final decisions. It's the player. A player can consent to being injected with painkillers just before the game in order to play. A player can consent to play with broken bones, tendon tears, and other injuries that require offseason surgery.

But the coach controls the lineup card. I don't see an instance where Tocchet and management couldn't have consulted with Petey and his agent about resting that knee in hopes that he would be 100% or better for the playoffs. If money and awards weren't a factor, I don't see why Petey can't be convinced to sit. It would also have given the team a chance to see what a 2nd line centered by Lindholm would be like.
No that is not how it goes at all.

The player will usually look for any way he can keep playing.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
there's a classic photo of Maurice Richard playing through with a face that looked like a Picasso...

classic stuff ....

Edler playing with broken fingers ... Etc ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad