Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
How is 11.6 million a discount? That makes him the 5th highest paid player in the NHL. Is he the 5th best player in the NHL? So if you think 11.6 million is a hometown discount, you think he could have gotten more elsewhere? Where? What team would have given him 12 or 13 million for 7 years?
Uhhh raw amount is not how you should evaluate contracts. Percent of cap at time of signing is. And by that measure he's 21st, which is around where I'd put him

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Again, this is a strawman. I know its easier creating strawmans and then knocking them down, but it would be nice if you at least accurately recognize my position. Again, I never said I didn't believe Petey. The question is the severity of the injury and how much it affected him.

Lots of players play through injuries. That isn't some novel thing. And lots of players play well through injuries. You can look no further than McDavid and Draisaitl.
Let me get this straight.

• You believe Petey when he says he was injured. Good for you?
  • You question the severity of the injury and how much it affected him.. because you're an expert in knee tendonitis or you're an athelete that has experienced it and can share an anecdote on how much it didn't impact your mobility?
  • Your comparing all you DON'T KNOW about Petey's specific knee injury to McDavid and Drai playing well through THEIR individual unspecified injuries and then inferring Petey should be able to play well because McDavid and Drai are playng well. This is just a dogs breakfast of illogic.
You should quit while yer behind.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Both of these can be true: 1) Petey had a lingering knee injury; 2) Petey moped and wasn't able to play through it until games 5, 6 and 7 when it was too little too late.

I hope that this was a learning experience for him because injuries are the norm during the playoffs. Those that find a way to deliver in spite of it are the types of players that lead their team on deep runs.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Both of these can be true: 1) Petey had a lingering knee injury; 2) Petey moped and wasn't able to play through it until games 5, 6 and 7 when it was too little too late.

I hope that this was a learning experience for him because injuries are the norm during the playoffs. Those that find a way to deliver in spite of it are the types of players that lead their team on deep runs.
I think he needs to prepare in the offseason different ways to be effective if he has a problem with his knee again. Different ways to shoot and turn more into a volume shooter.

Reactions: supercanuck

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I think he needs to prepare in the offseason different ways to be effective if he has a problem with his knee again. Different ways to shoot and turn more into a volume shooter.

I think this is bang on. He lost his best weapon (his wrist shot) and didn't have the quickness he needed to do his thing, and got completely lost as to how he could have been able to affect the game positively while carrying Mik's corpse around. I think he started to get it in GM 5 but that was too late.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think this is bang on. He lost his best weapon (his wrist shot) and didn't have the quickness he needed to do his thing, and got completely lost as to how he could have been able to affect the game positively while carrying Mik's corpse around. I think he started to get it in GM 5 but that was too late.
That’s why off seasons are so damn important, players don’t have time to develop a new way to play mid season considering how little practice time there is.

I am confident that he is going to come back next season with some new ways to score and hopefully he will add volume shooting to his game and that will push him towards a 40-50+ goal scorer.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That’s why off seasons are so damn important, players don’t have time to develop a new way to play mid season considering how little practice time there is.

I am confident that he is going to come back next season with some new ways to score and hopefully he will add volume shooting to his game and that will push him towards a 40-50+ goal scorer.
This makes little sense to me considering he will have what July August at best to train after resting his knee for 4-6 weeks and it could be much longer.

Glad your so optimistic that this isn't the start of chronic problems with a guy who is skinny doesn't have a lot of protective muscle and falls down on his knees 10-15 times a game.

Reactions: Nomobo

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Can you elaborate on this?

I'm not going off any facts, I just speculate he hid the severity of his injury and tried to play through it - and by the time the inflammation worsened it was too late to go the 'rest and rehab' route. I'm not saying this with any certainty nor is my cast of blame on Pettersson have me upset with him at all. If this is the scenario that played out I think it's an easy mistake to make as a young player that wants to be tough and play hurt - we all know the stigma hockey players face for this.

Reactions: sting101

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This makes little sense to me considering he will have what July August at best to train after resting his knee for 4-6 weeks and it could be much longer.

Glad your so optimistic that this isn't the start of chronic problems with a guy who is skinny doesn't have a lot of protective muscle and falls down on his knees 10-15 times a game.
reading more into it, it seems like he can get "rest" simply from not playing and a huge part of recovering is actually strengthening and stretching. So it's not like he has to sit at home for like 2 months and do nothing at all and avoid all physical activity. He will need to strengthen to heal.
Right now, he scores by having a powerful shot that is accurate. He’ll need to be able to score without power and I am optimistic he will add new elements to his game like what Quinn did this last off season.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Something isn't adding up here.

Pettersson had tendinitis in his knee. This tendinitis was so bad that he went from being a 100 point player to a 47 point player.

Yet, the team (and himself) decided that he should play all 82 games, all 13 playoff games and fly out for the NHL All-Star game, with no rest or breaks.

When Miller, Boeser and Hronek all sat out the final road trip to Winnipeg when the Canucks had already locked up the #1 seed, Pettersson still played.

When the Canucks had already locked up a playoff spot by early March, Pettersson still played.

Tendinitis is quite literally healed with rest.

For what possible reason could there be to keep him in the lineup?

At one point, he wasn't even helping the team win games. I watched those games in full. There were a handful of games where he hurt the team more than he helped.

So we kept a guy in the lineup whose play had so significantly deteriorated that he wasn't helping the team, and he was also in pain?

Sorry but the reporters need to do a better job asking questions around this because the answers we've gotten so far are not a reasonable or satisfactory explanation.

I also don't get why they didn't just shut Pettersson down for a couple of weeks prior to playoffs.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

You think he has jumpers knee from the few times he falls on the ice during games..? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Was listening to S&P this morning and they had Patrick Johnston on and an interesting question came up - If Rick Tocchet had 11.5m to spend, would he spend it on Pettersson?

Also regarding his knee injury - how did that affect his shot?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Was listening to S&P this morning and they had Patrick Johnston on and an interesting question came up - If Rick Tocchet had 11.5m to spend, would he spend it on Pettersson?

Do you not shoot on your feet?

There actually is an incredible amount of tourqing going through the knees on most shots.

Reactions: DFAC

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 1.52.34 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 1.56.17 PM.png

You see how the right leg acts as a pivot point as he is leaning into the shot and lifting his left leg. You can't do that if you can't put force into your leg.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The answer is "no".

There is clearly a thing here now between Tocchet and Pettersson. Seravelli calling out Pettersson for potentially lying about his injury to save face just adds fuel to the fire.

Tocchet clearly felt that Pettersson could play through it. Seravelli thinks Pettersson is afraid and soft. Maybe he agrees with Tocchet?

This isn't a good look for either of your Franchise C or your Jack Adams winning Coach...

Reactions: aquaweenie

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The answer is "no".

There is clearly a thing here now between Tocchet and Pettersson. Seravelli calling out Pettersson for potentially lying about his injury to save face just adds fuel to the fire.

Tocchet clearly felt that Pettersson could play through it. Seravelli thinks Pettersson is afraid and soft. Maybe he agrees with Tocchet?

This isn't a good look for either of your Franchise C or your Jack Adams winning Coach...
You guys need to stop speculating on the relationship between Petey and Tocchet…

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
It is f***ing wild to me that anyone would be shocked that an NHL team would mislead people about an injury, or that the obviously injured player was in fact injured.

no one is shocked that tocchet lied about pettersson's injury. they're shocked about the other stuff around it

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I am not the biggest Petey fan and am not sure how much I love being committed for 8 years at 11.6, but in fairness you might want to get a skilled center competent wingers. Saddling him with Mikeyev is ridiculous.

Even McDavid, the best player in the world, plays with two 50 goal scorers Hyman and Draisitil, and or RNH. Tad of a difference.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

This is the dumbest shit. Tocchet out of anyone would know the value of having a superstar considering who he played with.
It’s like he would suddenly forget that Petey put up 100pts for him last year and he was at a 120 pt pace before injury.

Coaches are wired to try to get the most out of their players, somehow we are warping that to some type of fracture in relationship because he said “Petey needs to be better”.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Petey fed Myk some prime passes that consistently got shanked. I think tocc kinda f***ed up keeping them together as long as he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad