Proposal: Petry to Detroit

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Petry in Edmonton had 74 points in 295 games (0.25ppg) with 17 of those being goals. This was over the span of 5 seasons.

From 2017-2018 to 2021-2022, Petry has 176 points, 49 of which are goals, over 327 games (0.54ppg)

Outside of his abysmal stats through the 37 games he has played this season, he had managed 40+ points in the last 5 seasons. Over these past five years, Petry is ranked 20 amongst all defensemen in points. Even if you take this horrible half season and the entire prior season, Petry is 32nd in all defensemen in points.

I like this. I think that the crappy season doesnt make all the habs players negative values. If he is in the first 32 (or 20) it means that he's better than other #1s in the league. Despite this, he is #28 in terms of salary right now. It's fair. Let's not forget he was in the talks for the Norris for a good part of the season last year. I dont know if Chiarot really can return a 1st in a trade this year, but Petry is much better and would definitely get it (id prefer a good prospect).

I think his problem is between the ears; he is now #1 D in mtl with all the pressure that brings, not to mention his family situation. I know he wants out of Mtl, but if the value isnt there, we may as well just tough it out and see if returns of Savard, Edmunston, Dvorak, Drouin, etc make things easier on him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yup he's a bigger bust then Zadina, That's for sure.
Add a Detroit 4th and Oesterle for Caufield to the OPs offer. See if a change in scenery sparks Cole like it’s expected to for Zadina. Both teams get a young player that needs a new home.

if one rebuilding team has to sacrifice the potential of a high draft pick, might as well make it a two way street where both teams exchange young players to see if they’ll flourish elsewhere.

Yet Somehow I doubt Habs fans are ok with the equity of this concept.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This is atrocious for Detroit

The Wings are no more ready to compete consistently for a cup than the Habs are

Old, running out of gas expensive dmen signed for 3 more years hurts Detroits long term chances as it impedes both roster player development and cap space/structure

Big fat no way

But thanks for the offer

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think the offer make certain connections that make sense:
  • petry's family is in the Michigan area
  • Habs were said to want Zadina before settling on KK
  • Habs are rebuilding. Rebuilding = old players for new
it seems to ignore some big ones though:
  • Salary
  • Detroit is also doing a rebuild, getting older players make no sense if they arent primary leader/mentor types.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If Montreal wants to get rid of his contract , they can do Petty +2nd for feature considerations

Reactions: teddygmr

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sounds like a win win situation if DET is done with Zadina.
I don't think Petry would fetch much.
Without retention he would be worth a 5th round pick based on his recent play, age, nmc and AAV.

Lol

The guy is having a career low on a team filled with injuries and headed for their worst season in history and he's suddenly no longer a 40 point defenseman.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's amazing that the Habs have so many players who have actual value when their entire team is dogshit.

Lehkonen is worth a 1st, Chiarot is worth a 1st, Toffoli is worth a 1st, Petry can pull off a young guy like Zadina....yet they're one of the worst hockey teams in recent memory.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
It's amazing that the Habs have so many players who have actual value when their entire team is dogshit.

Lehkonen is worth a 1st, Chiarot is worth a 1st, Toffoli is worth a 1st, Petry can pull off a young guy like Zadina....yet they're one of the worst hockey teams in recent memory.
25 pts in 31 games on one of the worst hockey team in recent memory, with a good cap hit, is not too bad bud...
Chiarot will likely get a first because of his style of play for the playoff
Lehkonen won't, maybe a second + b lvl prospect
Petry just came back from 4x40pts season with his best one last year ( a GM just told Lebrun that Petry has the same value in his eyes than last season)

Yea we have like 4-5 players with some value out of 22, what a shock!!

Reactions: Cenzo_

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
No thanks. Old, declining players aren't enticing, even for disappointing kids, in the middle of a rebuild.

That said, I have no idea why every thread like this has to devolve into bashing the players/other teams. Like, why was Caufield even mentioned? Y'all need to grow up.

Reactions: vokiel

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Huh?

Lehkonen and Chiarot have rental comparables from last season and its been reported that the asking price for both is at least a 1st. Doesn't mean the Canadiens would get it, but people aren't pulling it from their ass. Lehkonen's value is presumably the fact he's been one of the better defensive forwards in the NHL this season. Chiarot's is that he's a big D-man that plays big minutes with playoff experience, which teams always overpay.

Toffoli is on a very affordable contract with term, finished 7th in scoring last year and is playing a 20+ goal, 60+ point pace this season. How is he not worth at least a late 1st?

I'll be honest, I don't get Petry for Zadina from either side, but we know there's interest in him from LeBrun and Friedman.

I don't understand, you think its an amazing coincidence that a teams will look at the most valuable players on a team at the bottom of the standings that made the cup finals last June and think, "yeah, I'll throw a late 1st or a prospect that likely wont amount for much for that guy"? This happens every year.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This is one of the worst proposals I've ever seen. Wings are still in rebuilding mode that they are trading assets for a 34 year old Dman???

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

I believe you are mixing up team performance and individual skills. In terms of points and skill a comparable for Lehkonen is Janmark (2nd+3rd), for Chiarot you have Savard (1st+3rd) for Toffoli you have Zucker (1st + Addison). As far as Petty goes it is fully dependent on league perception, it could be a Schmidt comparable (i.e. a low pick for a skilled yet overpaid Dman)

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
That's just horrible for mtl.

Our 2nd pick is better
Zadina is a bust might be worst than Drouin's on ice effort
Oesterle.

A bust and a 3rd pairing Dman for a first pairing Dman. AND WE LOSE RANKS AT THE DRAFT?! Some of y'all....

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
The way Petry is playing right now, you can remove the if and just state Petry won't be traded.
If Montreal don't receive an offer they like Petry won't be traded .
What Montreal Canadiens would like in a trade ?
Only management and other teams inquiring about Petry would know that information.

Last edited:

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Zadina is a bust
Habs not giving a 33th OA for Zadina lmao

No - he's not. Also, the picks are swapped ... so the Habs are giving 33th OA and getting something closer to 40OA back. It's to sweeten the pot for not having to retain salary in what should be a deep draft

If Zadina is a bust, Then what's Cole Caufield then.

Caufield scored 4g/5p in 10 games last season. In the Playoffs last year, he scored 4 goals and had 12 points over 20 games.

This season, which is as of right now the worst season in the HISTORY of the Canadiens, Caufield has 1g/8p in 29gp. His career at the NHL level is 9g/25p in 59gp ... a 12g/35p pace over 82 games.

Zadina's stats over his past four seasons - 20 goals/50 points - 130 games played. He has played over 2x the games as Caufield. If you double his production, he would be identical to Zadina.

If you assume this season is an outlier and just look at last season's 8g/17p over 30 games, he was on pace for 20g and 46 points, which would be double Zadina's production.

FWIW I don't think either player is as bad as their stat lines to date suggest. Zadina needs a different system where he can flourish, and Caufield needs to not be thrown to the wolves on the worst team in the League (somehow worse than Arizona) with abysmal coaching.

I think both players will rebound - both need a new coach. I do think Caufield is the better talent offensively, but Zadina can play both ends of the ice and that has a ton of value.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
See if a change in scenery sparks Cole like it’s expected to for Zadina

Cole outside of the 30 games or so this season has been fine. Zadina has played twice as many games across twice as many seasons - its not even remotely the same situation. Cole also played a big role in the playoffs whereas Zadina has never had that big contributory moment.

Bottom 3 coach in the league
Backup or AHL-quality goaltending the entire season
One of the worst defensive corps in the league (no Weber, Edmundson gone all season, Petry has mentally checked out since the start) - only bright spot is Romanov
No C depth (Suzuki is great, Dvorak has struggled with the rest of the team, Evans/Poehling are nice but they are at best 3rd liners right now)

What the Habs do have - Great role players (Chiarot is a great 4D in the playoffs, Lehkonen is an elite top bottom 6 guy who can play up the lineup, Petry has the skills to be an elite 3D to run the 2nd PP unit, Toffoli is an elite secondary scorer with tons of playoff experience, Drouin is a young talented cerebral winger who likely would be very good if combined with elite play drivers) ... The team isn't horrible, its just missing a lot of big pieces (about 18.5 million in their two best players. Combine that with management changeover, terrible coaching, no fans, COVID/injuries destroying the team (most man games lost in recent history) ... yeah it's just a nightmare.

What will be interesting is how different the team looks next season, and if they are competing for the playoffs or for Bedard/Michkov. I think a lot of that depends on if Weber retires, or if Price retires/returns. If they are both on LTIR indefinitely and the Habs look to sell, this team is going to be bad for at least another year. Lots of picks, some young talent (Caufield, Romanov, Guhle, Suzuki) means they will likely turn it around fast. Lots of good young players seem to be available (Kravtsov, Zadina, Tippet) and the Habs are adding Wright Cooley or Savoie to their depth chart soon.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Caufield is a bust.

Geez I dunno about that. I seem to recall last year in the playoffs he and Cary Price were massive bright spots for Montreal on that Cinderella run. This year he has been in and out of the line up but I don't think development is necessarily linear. He is a good young player who isn't doing well right now.

The same things were said about Puljujarvi not so long ago and now jealous fans are posting threads about teams screwing the Oilers with a big offer sheet.

Not saying this is the exact trajectory of Caufield but I'd hate to write off a 21 year old player after a strong playoffs just last year.

Just my opinion.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This is one of the worst proposals I've ever seen. Wings are still in rebuilding mode that they are trading assets for a 34 year old Dman???
ya just what the Habs need a prospect on the verge of becoming a bust. Move on boys.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
People laughing at the idea that Petry has negligible or negative value - do you think he could get 3x6.25 or more if he was UFA after this season?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad