Proposal: Petry to Detroit

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
They passed because he regularily was at or near the top of the league in giveaways.

Petry in Edmonton had 74 points in 295 games (0.25ppg) with 17 of those being goals. This was over the span of 5 seasons.

From 2017-2018 to 2021-2022, Petry has 176 points, 49 of which are goals, over 327 games (0.54ppg)

Outside of his abysmal stats through the 37 games he has played this season, he had managed 40+ points in the last 5 seasons. Over these past five years, Petry is ranked 20 amongst all defensemen in points. Even if you take this horrible half season and the entire prior season, Petry is 32nd in all defensemen in points.

They certaintly don't want him now with a good GM and a bright future ahead.

A borderline elite two-way veteran defenseman who can be a veteran presence and mentor your young stud defencemen is definitely the type of character Yzerman would want.

Dump your garbage somewhere else

No issues that you don't want the player - very disingenuous to say a guy who would be on the top pair of at least half the teams in the NHL over the past 4 seasons is "Garbage" because he has quit on the season.

Again why? squeak in to get killed in the first round. Better to be in the lottery at this point. From a hockey perspective anyway...

I could be wrong, but being a middling team a la Columbus or Philly for a few years is significantly worse. At least if you make the playoffs you have a chance to do some damage - Montreal made the SCF this past season, Dallas the one before.

Reactions: Gaud

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Detroit wants to move on from Zadina

Montreal 2nd + Petry for Detroit's 2nd, Zadina and Oesterle

Detroit doesn't really have any cap dumps so I just threw in Oesterle because why not. Detroit jumps up a few picks in the 2nd round to offset it.

Zadina has been insanely underwhelming but his draft pedigree + raw talent make him an interesting acquisition for a team that is okay with not being a basement team next year.

Petry has struggled but if there's one team that he would probably love to play for it is the Red Wings. He would be a great 2D behind Seider and could be great for Edvinsson's development
Unlikely Montreal trade Petry to Detroit.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Detroit doesn't really have any cap dumps so I just threw in Oesterle because why not. Detroit jumps up a few picks in the 2nd round to offset it.

Zadina has been insanely underwhelming but his draft pedigree + raw talent make him an interesting acquisition for a team that is okay with not being a basement team next year.

Petry has struggled but if there's one team that he would probably love to play for it is the Red Wings. He would be a great 2D behind Seider and could be great for Edvinsson's development
Zadina is a bust
Habs not giving a 33th OA for Zadina lmao

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Petry in Edmonton had 74 points in 295 games (0.25ppg) with 17 of those being goals. This was over the span of 5 seasons.

From 2017-2018 to 2021-2022, Petry has 176 points, 49 of which are goals, over 327 games (0.54ppg)

Outside of his abysmal stats through the 37 games he has played this season, he had managed 40+ points in the last 5 seasons. Over these past five years, Petry is ranked 20 amongst all defensemen in points. Even if you take this horrible half season and the entire prior season, Petry is 32nd in all defensemen in points.

A borderline elite two-way veteran defenseman who can be a veteran presence and mentor your young stud defencemen is definitely the type of character Yzerman would want.

No issues that you don't want the player - very disingenuous to say a guy who would be on the top pair of at least half the teams in the NHL over the past 4 seasons is "Garbage" because he has quit on the season.

I could be wrong, but being a middling team a la Columbus or Philly for a few years is significantly worse. At least if you make the playoffs you have a chance to do some damage - Montreal made the SCF this past season, Dallas the one before.

Elite 2 way defensmen are you kidding me?
Last year he was 2nd in the league in giveaways. This year his is 7th and the only reason he isnt higher is because he has played a lot less games then the players ahead of him.
Petry is not good defensively and I don't want him anywhere near Seider teaching him anything.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Without retention yes.
Basically saying if Petry has positive value, it is very little. He is a decent player but other factors mentioned make him undesirable to an organization.
Likely return would be a struggling player plus pick.
Again. :facepalm:

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021

Is Montreal trading their first with that because if not why is Detroit taking on that cap dump?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sounds like a win win situation if DET is done with Zadina.
I don't think Petry would fetch much.
Without retention he would be worth a 5th round pick based on his recent play, age, nmc and AAV.
hahaha worth a 5th....

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Man you trying to make him sound like Girard?
Girard is in another level that Petry isnt even close to. Hate to break that to people.

in any sense, detroit has absolutely zero desire to trade for Petry.
Maybe if he's a UFA, id do a 2x2 but i wouldnt go a penny or a year over that at this point.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Based on 3 years left at 6.25 and having had a terrible season, no team is paying assets to take on Petry, and sure as heck not Detroit who already have Seider and Hronek on the right side. What Petry has done in that past doesn't add value to a 34 year old defender with high cap for another 3 seasons. Could be that he is winding down and that is why he has fallen off this season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Man you trying to make him sound like Girard?
Girard has a higher PPG than Suzuki this season. Two of those assists Girard picked up shredding the Habs defense and Petry last week.

perty has about the same PPG as Jack Johnson. If we’re looking at comparables, perhaps the correct equation is Petry = Jack Johnson.

Except one guy makes 6.25mm and the other the league minimum. Nice contract MB.

Last edited:

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021
yes montreal will give up a top 3 lottery pick to unload petry . what colour is the sky in your world ?
They wouldn’t which was my point. Why would Detroit take a cap dump in your colour world? Trade Zadina for a guy who is on decline and has rumoured personal family issues affecting his play. He signed an extension under false pretenses

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
That is certainly not the type of player the Red Wings are looking for if they decide to move on from Zadina. We'd be looking for players of a similar age that fit with our core. Aging, declining, veteran defensemen can be had for free on the UFA market, Petry's contract is a dealbreaker.

Reactions: njx9

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
For those who don’t know, Petry’s wife took their 3 kids and went back to the states in December because the restrictions were too heavy in Canada.

Two good sources say he asked to be traded which wasn’t confirmed by the team. GM did say that he is open to trade Petry if it’s good for both. (I was kinda surprised he just openly said that) Petry has good value. He has played extremely well the last 3 years and was able to hold the #1 spot very well when Weber was out.

I don’t know what Yzerman would want for Zadina but the last time he traded a kid to the Habs, it didn’t turn out so well… buyer beware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad