Proposal: Petry for PO Jospeh + 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Louis Leblanc over Chris Kreider was the most obvious.... Gainey wanting to please the Montreal crowd (draft location), and hoping to save his job.

Sure. This might be one such case. On the other hand, Leblanc was not really a reach at that point in the draft.

I didnt really see it that way.... Habs were starving for a high profile offensive player, Drouin was coming off a great playoff with TB and was still considered a top young forward after being drafted 3rd overall. He just happened to be on the trade block since TB couldnt afford him, and Bergevin went for it. It wasnt even so much criticized at the time.

Exactly.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Sure. This might be one such case. On the other hand, Leblanc was not really a reach at that point in the draft.
no he wasnt, but I think they wouldve chosen Kreider otherwise, who was said to have the best speed in the draft. Probably wouldnt have flourished with Montreal as he is now in NY anyway.

Other than that, acquiring: Paquette, Perreault, Savard was a waste. Another attempt to satisfy the french media after coming oh so close of NOT having a Quebecois in their lineup last season.

Finally found a loophole in the "bilingual" GM position after hiring Gorton and Hughes. Just hope they stay focused on finishing 32nd... next year too!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Should be an easy no from Pittsburgh. Would likely prevent them from re-signing Letang this off-season and thats reason enough to not want Petry without factoring in his play this season and contact.
unless of course, letang wants 10 million and petry who is a tad younger with similar offensive production - and signed for 3 more yards at 6 mill - makes a lot sense.
that being said, as habs fan, i think there are better offers out there for petry.
Joseph doesn't impress me.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
no he wasnt, but I think they wouldve chosen Kreider otherwise, who was said to have the best speed in the draft. Probably wouldnt have flourished with Montreal as he is now in NY anyway.

Yeah, that's what Timmins said a few years later.

But Timmins have been way better at making excuses for his (numerous) failures than drafting the right players over time.

Poor little him, Kreider was his choice but was pressured to draft LeBlanc (in fact, RDS caught an image of Timmins pre draft list in 2009 and LeBlanc was way ahead of Kreider), Carlson would've been his choice in 2008, he wanted to draft Giroux in 2006, if...if..if...

If you listen to him, he was excellent, it was always his GM's fault...

With that kind of attitude, don't bother why he never learned from his mistakes.

Reactions: 1909

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Yeah, that's what Timmins said a few years later.

But Timmins have been way better at making excuses for his (numerous) failures than drafting the right players over time.

Poor little him, Kreider was his choice but was pressured to draft LeBlanc (in fact, RDS caught an image of Timmins pre draft list in 2009 and LeBlanc was way ahead of Kreider), Carlson would've been his choice in 2008, he wanted to draft Giroux in 2006, if...if..if...

If you listen to him, he was excellent, it was always his GM's fault...

With that kind of attitude, don't bother why he never learned from his mistakes.
yeah he had to go with all the 1st round blunders over the years..... surprised he lasted this long tbh when you think about it. I wonder if he had Pastrnak over Scherbak?

Heres to finally getting several top 5 picks in the next 2-4 years. Especially next year.... please.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
What kind of an add? Salary retention?
either a pick 2nd/3rd and or player . ( lehkonen ) ? may seem like a lot but klingberg is a proven playoff performer and each of washington carolina tampa and florida will not want one of the others to have him . i'd be looking for a particular prospect. brant clark type from LA . LA at this stage wouldn't go there but that type of prospect.

also rather than salary retention i'd sooner take a player back like khubodin to offset cap .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
yeah he had to go with all the 1st round blunders over the years..... surprised he lasted this long tbh when you think about it. I wonder if he had Pastrnak over Scherbak?

Heres to finally getting several top 5 picks in the next 2-4 years. Especially next year.... please.
i'm with you here . sucking for one more year at least would be great . i know it's unlikely we could get wright and bedard but one of them and another top 3 pick would be perfect. add those two to suzuki romanov caufield guhle mailloux and the future would be great . there's still 6-10 solid looking prospects that may result in a couple more pieces . hoard cap space for two years to buy a couple special pieces in ufa . huberdeau maybe .
other players like toffoli , lehkonen, can help towards increasing the value of picks or even acquiring other prospects . players like price , gallagher and drouin with retention will do the same . i really believe the hand were being dealt is very very good .

Last edited:
Reactions: Scintillating10

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
either a pick 2nd/3rd and or player . ( lehkonen ) ? may seem like a lot but klingberg is a proven playoff performer and each of washington carolina tampa and florida will not want one of the others to have him . i'd be looking for a particular prospect. brant clark type from LA . LA at this stage wouldn't go there but that type of prospect.

also rather than salary retention i'd sooner take a player back like khubodin to offset cap .
I probably wouldn't make the deal then. Lekhonen alone, retained, will bring a late first or early 2nd. Most Klingberg will fetch is a first. Be giving away Petry for very little

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I probably wouldn't make the deal then. Lekhonen alone, retained, will bring a late first or early 2nd. Most Klingberg will fetch is a first. Be giving away Petry for very little
i think klingberg will land a good prospect and a first . a late first from a contender isn't great on its own . a key prospect and a first is reasonable. if it's a real good prospect a second or third with it will do .

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Should be an easy no from Pittsburgh. Would likely prevent them from re-signing Letang this off-season and thats reason enough to not want Petry without factoring in his play this season and contact.
From what i read in another article Pitts might be interested if Tanger decides to test the market. That way they would target Petry in hope of replacing a lost Tanger.
This would be the only way it makes sense for Pitts.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
youre very optimistic
I think it's realistic on the contrary. He's having the worst season of his career on a club having the worst season of their history. Odds are he'll do at least 'as good' or better next year. He hasn't slowed down physically if you care to watch, so the problem isn't aging.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I just don’t see the reason Montreal would keep him especially if he is hinting he wants out.

Expecting a top prospect for him seems like a lot given that contract.
Even if we want to move him quick, we should be able to get a better asset as the main piece.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Other than that, acquiring: Paquette, Perreault, Savard was a waste. Another attempt to satisfy the french media after coming oh so close of NOT having a Quebecois in their lineup last season.

Finally found a loophole in the "bilingual" GM position after hiring Gorton and Hughes. Just hope they stay focused on finishing 32nd... next year too!
What about drafting Fisher instead of Giroux? What tells you we would have picked Kreider if not for Leblanc, Timmins couldve very well picked Josefson or Schroeder... the mangement absolutely didn't go out of their way to pick french players, we've drafted more us born player then any other nationality under Timmins.

Timmins made bad picks all the time and it wasn't because he was pressured to pick local players, it's because he isn't very good.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I think it's realistic on the contrary. He's having the worst season of his career on a club having the worst season of their history. Odds are he'll do at least 'as good' or better next year. He hasn't slowed down physically if you care to watch, so the problem isn't aging.
I was responding to the bolded text... that the team would be competitive in a year or two. Habs are rebuilding, and trust me that Gorton wants a top pick next year more than this summer.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
What about drafting Fisher instead of Giroux? What tells you we would have picked Kreider if not for Leblanc, Timmins couldve very well picked Josefson or Schroeder... the mangement absolutely didn't go out of their way to pick french players, we've drafted more us born player then any other nationality under Timmins.

Timmins made bad picks all the time and it wasn't because he was pressured to pick local players, it's because he isn't very good.
I didnt say hes done it often, I just listed ONE example of when he did. I even said getting Drouin wasnt about getting a Quebecois, but taking a chance on a young player with potential..... but I guarantee Leblanc was Gainey trying to save his ass and please the Montreal crowd in that draft. I dont know if he wouldve picked Kreider otherwise, but very possible. Its not like Keider wouldve brought them the Cup anyway.

This past offseason was a joke getting Paquette, Perreault, and Savard. Partially to take off pressure from Drouin being the only Quebecois on the team, and also pressure from the media after that game where they had to call up Belzile to get a Quebecois in the lineup.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
So Pittsburgh acquires a Dman who is playing poorly and gives up two good to decent futures for that? LOL. Don't see the benefit at all.
The benefit us that Petry just needs to play on a decent team to return to his usual play , ie. Being top 25 dman, which is probably the case.

Pens window is closing. For all you know this is their last year to make a run before rebuilding. PO Joseph isn't going to save them, but Petry actually could help them the next few seasons.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
The benefit us that Petry just needs to play on a decent team to return to his usual play , ie. Being top 25 dman, which is probably the case.

Pens window is closing. For all you know this is their last year to make a run before rebuilding. PO Joseph isn't going to save them, but Petry actually could help them the next few seasons.

That's a pretty big gamble to take @6M for a 34 year old having an awful season.

You won't find many Pens fans willing to sacrifice quality futures in hopes of another cup, our core's legacy is set and any success beyond 2017 is just gravy.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Petry could be a difference maker on the Pens at the end of our window. But that cap-hit is tough to pay fair value for and the contract has too many years on it to expect Montreal to retain much.

Would take some creativity to make that work, and I'd say part of it would be us dealing John Marino somewhere else. Maybe to Arizona for an asset + them retaining some of Petry's salary for us? Arizona could use a capable young RH d-man with years on his deal, I'd think.

Like: 2nd and Poulin to Montreal. Petry to Pens with Montreal retaining 1 million.

John Marino to Arizona, UFA Lyubushkin to Pens and Arizona retaining 2 million on Petry for us. Is an extra asset needed for Arizona for that amount of money... maybe.

Dumo Letang
Petterson Petry
Matheson Lyubushkin

I'd go to war with that.
Yes, but I'd rather just go to war with what we have now.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
So Pittsburgh acquires a Dman who is playing poorly and gives up two good to decent futures for that? LOL. Don't see the benefit at all.
Well it makes Pittsburgh better now. Let's not kid ourselves. Does it make them better in 3 years NO. Not sold on either prospect as a home run but D they would aquire isnt enough for that risk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad